Puma Compressor

Review by Raymond posted 1375 days ago 7079 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Puma Compressor Puma Compressor Puma Compressor Click the pictures to enlarge them

PUMA 5020VP

I had been stressing over the purchase of a new compressor for sometime now. Do I want a vertical or horizontal? Oiled or oil less, 110 or 220, HP vs CFM or SCFM. And then there was manufacture, Harbor Freight, Craftsman, Campbell Hausfeld, Sanborn So may many things to think of.

Finally I decided on the PUMA 5020VP 20 gallon

Manufacture Specifications

• 5 HP, 110 /220 volt air compressor
• 100% durable cast iron radial pump
• Belt driven, oil lubricated pump
• Stainless long life valve
• Copper finned inter and after coolers
• Heavy-duty air intake filters
• Oil sight gauge
• Built in air regulator
• CFM at 40 PSI – 7.1
• CFM at 90 PSI – 5.5
• Max pressure – 150 PSI
• Weight: Approximately 195 pounds
• 1 Year Warrantee

Out of the box, packaging was great, 2 bolts and the wheels were on, and 2 bolts and the handle was on. Attached the two air filters’ (automotive style). I installed the crankcase drain extension plug, and filled with oil. (almost 2 16 oz containers). Set up could not be simpler.

Per the instructions opened the drain valve, and regulator and let the compressor run for 20 minutes. The noise level was very low. After the break in period. I closed the valves and let the pressure build. After only a few minutes, the tank was full and the compressor shut off. I opened the relief valve to confirm the on setting and 100 psi it came on and went off at 135 psi.

There is no ball valve shut off, although with the regulator open the compressor sat overnight and did not loose any air…no leaks.

So far and only time will tell, but it looks like a nice compressor, It has large solid wheels, very quiet operation and good recovery time. No vibration and stays where I put it, even when running, something my old compressor would never do. Gauges are large and easy to read, and the regulator works well.

I’ve had at over a week now, and no complaints. I have it plumbed into a 1” PCV distribution system in my shop, and everything is holding together well. I think the best feature is how quiet it is. The only thing I am going to add is a ball valve before the quick disconnect fitting.

The manual is totally lacking. I give it 4 stars looses one for the crappy manual. Well worth the money.

At $358.00 plus tax, I think I did well.

-- Ray

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

Good review. Thanks!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View randi's profile

randi

Great review Ray.

I hope you understand the risk of failure over time in your PVC piped air system.

Does your shop see low temps as well? (Wisconsin)
If so thats another thing to worry about with the pvc.

I would not recommend piping your air system with PVC.

-- "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." ~Mitch Ratcliffe

Ray, Thank you for the review.
The code does not apply to your private shop but , by law , in a public place you cannot use PVC for air line or for any other gas.
PVC suddenly chatters without warning sending glass like pieces all over the place.
PVC is to be used only for water.
I also use PVC for airline ( I found out about the issue after I installed them ) but my air lines are in the attic and in the walls, they are not exposed. Yet in reality I should replace them with 3/4” copper tubing

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

Thanks for the tips, I will replace as time and money allows. The pipe that I bought is rated to 400 PSI. That is why I thought it would be safe. I figured a failure point might be the connectors. I will look into galvanized or black steal pipe. Copper would be very expensive around here. My lines run inbetween the floor joists so I could cover the joist with plywood, there by boxing in the pipe.

-- Ray

View nightdiver5's profile

nightdiver5

Ray,
My old Campbell Hausfeld finally went kaput. I’ve been looking at new compressors and the 5020VP sounds nice, but I’m very limiited on the width I can use. I’ve gotten three different answers on the outside wheel to wheel width of the Puma 5020VP. Can I ask what that dimension is? Thanks
Jeff