Benjamin's Best Bowl Gouges

Review by Lochlainn1066 posted 1279 days ago 2857 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Benjamin's Best Bowl Gouges No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have the 3/8 and 1/2 inch gouges from Penn State. As of the current catalog (got it today), they are $15.95 and $19.95.

I am a self taught turner (about 5yrs experience), so my only comparison in edge retention is from a cheapo Harbor Freight set and an older Buck Brothers set. The BB gouges hold an edge as long or longer than any of these tools, which makes them about average for HSS. I have a high carbon scraper I made myself which doesn’t hold an edge very long at all, for comparison.

How they hold up to M2, cryo, or powdered metal from high end manufacturers, I don’t know. I don’t resharpen more than a couple of times in a turning session so they don’t slow me down.

However, when you compare under $20 each to up to $80+ for premium HHS gouges, I think they represent a great value for the hobby turner.

The ash handles are well made, haven’t come loose, and are just the right length. The 3/8” is my “go-to” chisel, the one I use most, no matter what I am turning.

-- Nate, thegaragestudio.etsy.com

View Lochlainn1066's profile

Lochlainn1066

View peruturner's profile

peruturner

Yes they are good I have the set and they hold up pretty well also have the chuck with the cole jaws and all the rubers for it plus a cuple of jaws long ones

View Lochlainn1066's profile

Lochlainn1066

I’ll be reviewing the chuck too. I have it, the face plate, and a few other things. Love it, great price.

-- Nate, thegaragestudio.etsy.com