My new tablesaw

Review by ripper posted 2338 days ago 5571 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My new tablesaw My new tablesaw My new tablesaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

My wife got me this tablesaw,my old one was on it’s last leg it was a ryobi 10 in.
As you can see it full extension to 50 in. on the sides, has a rear outfeed table extension that go’s out 22 in.

View ripper's profile

ripper

View motthunter's profile

motthunter

please keep us posted as you use it. A performance review will be interesting.

-- making sawdust....

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

Looks like a keeper! And I thought I had a large cutoff bin. ;)

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View etivancic's profile

etivancic

I was sooo happy to get rid of this saw. The extension wings and fence are very sloppy!
I just got a Jet saw used on CL and so far I LOVE IT!

This craftsman saw is not worth it: IMO…

View Sung's profile

Sung

I had this tablesaw and was happy to see it go. I really liked it at first, but as time went on, and my skills grew, I out grew it’s features. Personally, for me, the arbor was too short, and the miter slots were handicapped by some inconveniently placed groove holders.

I’m sure if weren’t doing dados and were never going to use a table saw sled of any type, and you got a descent blade, you would have very little problems. But, to me it’s just those one or two things that make the saw an overall poor investement.

I replaced it with a Delta Contractor’s Left Tilt 36-979 and it is wwwwaaaaaaaaaayyy better. There is actually no comparison.

-- So, how wood jya like that?

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

i agree with mark its got to be a great improvement for you . id hang on to the wife also ! lol

View brunob's profile

brunob

Congrats! Always nice to get a new piece of equipment.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View hasbeen99's profile

hasbeen99

That’s a nice saw for the money. My wife bought me a Craftsman 10 inch for Christmas last year—my first TS. It’s a decent little saw, and for the most part it does what I want it to do. The proprietary miter slots are making me a little crazy, though. One of the first things I did with it was to make a new phenolic insert. It improved the function dramatically. Enjoy!

-- "The only thing that counts is faith, expressing itself in love." --Galatians 5:6

View CoolDavion's profile

CoolDavion

I have the same model type (only a couple years older).
I think it is a good beginer’s saw for the price.

hasbeen99 the miter slots are the one draw back I have also, any details on your modification (pictures possibly).

-- Do or do not, there is no try!

View mirwin's profile

mirwin

1 post in 2098 days

#9 posted 2098 days ago

I bought this a couple years ago as my first tablesaw. I could never get it aligned to my satisfaction because it would not stay in true. This forced me to check my alignments and settings frequently – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I recommend checking the fence/blade alignment in between cuts. Burning would often happen while repeating cuts – which is a good sign of the fence moving out of alignment and increasing the potential for kickback (A good reason to keep the splitter aligned and the anti-kick pawls in place).

The miter slots are non-standard, requiring some creativity for jigs and a sled. The throat plate is also non-standard, and a dado plate is also included.

The wing extensions are very handy and there is a support extension in the rear. The table size is very good when the extensions are considered. However, don’t depend on the ruler for setting the fence if extending the wings. Again, the fence settings will need to checked.

The saw has plenty of power and it has never seized on any variety of wood I’ve cut. As long as I double-checked my settings and alignment in between cuts, I could always get a good degree of accuracy. I will say that this saw motivated me to learn about the saw components, proper TS alignment, and educated me on what to look for in a good saw. So have fun, be patient, and you’ll get quite a bit out of this tool.

View conban1's profile

conban1

This is the saw I currently have. I’ve been through two from master craft (Canadian Tire house brand) which I believe is the same as Ryobi. I’m looking to jump to a Ridgid but not sure if to go new or used. I’d have the newest one but I’ve been waiting on the home depot Ridgid 20% off sale to happen again as it’ll save me $120 plus tax which is quite a bit of saving back in my pocket. I just want to keep my money mine! Any tips on new vs old as to which is better? I’ve been looking at a used TS3612 but they still want $500 for it which I believe is close to 10 yrs old.

-- Making wood work since '08