A must have for my shop

Review by Chris posted 10-17-2010 05:14 AM 2784 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A must have for my shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This was a birthday present this year; I have only just been able to get some shop time with it. I am in the middle of a bookcase build and found this to be invaluable removing the whisper thin bit of wood needed to make the shelves fit just right or to clean up the home made moldings to complete the top of the case.

Ease of Use:
If you have used other planes you will find this plane to be straight forward and intuitive.

Adjustments: The mouth is adjusted by loosening the locking screw on top then moving the screw in the front to close or open the mouth. This combined with the very simple blade adjustment will give you all the control you will need.

Quality:
The construction and finish of the plane are outstanding. The sole is square to the sides and the adjustable toe’s fit is almost seamless.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#1 posted 10-17-2010 05:37 AM

Those are great for tuneing up tenons.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Chinitorama's profile

Chinitorama

105 posts in 2045 days

#2 posted 10-17-2010 09:34 PM

You get nice presents Chris!

-J.

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

#3 posted 10-18-2010 03:46 AM

deke,

Try Lie-Nielsen router planes to make sure dados are at a consistent depth. I have their little one and use it on all dados and it works great. Not real expensive either. I have never gotten the shoulder plane as I have the rabbet block plane which will do what a shoulder plane can do and also do what a block plane will do as well.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#4 posted 10-18-2010 06:16 AM

I haven’t brought myself to spend the money for the shoulder planes like this yet. I have some wooden ones, but I really prefer the way the metal planes adjust. I have been looking at both Lie Nielsen and the Veritas. This one if base on the old Record shoulder plan of the same number. I though the Lie Nielsen was expensive till I saw what an old Record plane will run. Anyway, good review. Thanks for submitting.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

#5 posted 10-18-2010 05:12 PM

The LN shoulder planes are a good value for the money if you expect to be using them for the next 20 years. Unless you get a complete dud (very, very rare and they will make it right for you) it works out of the box, holds a decent edge on the blade and just works.

As to truing dado depth, get a router plane. Dado depth is almost always referenced to the wood surface and that forms the reference face for the router plane. Router planes are also very good for truing tenons within limits of size unless you build an axillary base for the router plane or do other tricks.

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

#6 posted 10-19-2010 12:43 AM

I bought this same plane a couple of years ago, and consider it my favorite tool of all time. I use it a lot, but sometimes I just like to hold it & look at it. Sorta like if I was married to Angelina Jolie…

-- Gene T