My most used measuring device in the shop

Review by Chris posted 10-17-2010 04:56 AM 2000 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My most used measuring device in the shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have used this for marking out joinery, as a depth gauge, to check squareness, the list goes on. When I’m in the shop this is always in my pocket. Some may argue about the price but I must say that short of theft or me loosing it somehow I will not have to buy another one ever.

View Chris 's profile

Chris

View Popsnsons's profile

Popsnsons

#1 posted 10-17-2010 05:46 AM

I’ve been thinking about adding a double square to my mix. But since I have several combination squares and speed squares I haven’t made the additional purchase.

-- Pops ~ In So Cal...

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#2 posted 10-17-2010 05:58 AM

I recently ordered one, though Amazon.

I’m also watching for good pricing on the Starrett Bevel Gauge, and the protractor 'attachment' that works with it.

I started with a cheapie (Empire) combination square, and … very quickly … learned my lesson.

-- -- Neil

View Chinitorama's profile

Chinitorama

105 posts in 1988 days

#3 posted 10-17-2010 09:29 PM

Everyone should own a double square! I have the Lee Valley version and use it daily.

-J.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#5 posted 10-18-2010 06:11 AM

I have one of these little squares and use it regularly. It is a very handy size for lots of things. I just recently added a 6” version to my collection and I can already tell that it is going to come in handy as well. It isn’t a Starrett, but Eagle America has a 4” and a 6” version of these tools made by igaging. The 6” that I mentioned previously is one of these. I am impressed with the quality. It has etched markings and not stamped similar to a Starrett and it is also made of real cast iron and not pot metal like the ones you see at most home centers.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View Bob, Oregon's profile

Bob, Oregon

90 posts in 2081 days

#6 posted 10-18-2010 08:33 PM

Bought one not long ago and found it to be the handiest little device since the pencil! They aren’t necessarily cheap(Lee Valley), but in my book they are worth every penny!

-- 73, Bob

View Gator's profile

Gator

#7 posted 10-23-2010 10:02 PM

I also have one of these in the pocket of my apron at all times – I use it every time I am in the shop. It is one of my favorite tools.

Gator

-- Master designer of precision sawdust and one of a kind slivers.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#8 posted 10-23-2010 10:07 PM

I have a 6” Starrett combination square in my apron – don’t know how I got along without it.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View Millo's profile

Millo

#9 posted 10-29-2010 09:17 PM

I’m a newb, and will start diving into making simple boxes and other smaller projects. Should I get the 4” or 6”? I get confused with their variety of blades as well. I think I’d like one w/ smaller increments… I guess I should start trying flea markets, huh? This thing is pricey!

View Millo's profile

Millo

#10 posted 10-29-2010 09:20 PM

I found the Lee Valley one, they say it’s just as accurate… any experiences?