A quality Jigsaw

Review by DoctorDan posted 10-13-2010 11:10 AM 4767 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A quality Jigsaw A quality Jigsaw A quality Jigsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Earlier this year I purchased a Makita 4351FCT Jigsaw from Sydney Tools. Official Stats: Length of Stroke 26mm, Max. Cutting Capacity 135mm (wood) & 10mm (steel), Angle cutting -45-45. Continuous Rating Input 720W, Strokes per Minute 800-2,800, and Weight 2.4kg.

I needed a tool to make some curved cuts and also rough cuts in a safer manner than using a circular saw on a non-flat slabs. A bow-saw is romantic but I’d have to build it, and I was in a hurry. A bandsaw would be great, but they’re a bigger investment than what I was after.

Makita is my preferred brand for power tools. I find them simple, rugged, powerful, and well built. I chose the 4251FCT as it had variable speed, a high wattage of power, and the pistol (cf: D shape) handle.

Full review posted on my blog... The Love of Wood.

-- Daniel - http://theloveofwood.blogspot.com/

View DoctorDan's profile

DoctorDan

View degoose's profile

degoose

7038 posts in 2051 days

#1 posted 10-13-2010 11:39 AM

I like the rugged feel of Makita…. I have several Makita routers [as well as other brands…] and use and recommend Makita routers for the TWC… I also have a 7 1/2 circular saw and it is rugged enough to cut through 2 inch sandstone with a diamond blade… This JigSaw looks great… when I need one I will surely turn to Makita.. Thanks for the review.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2000 days

#2 posted 10-13-2010 07:59 PM

I also like Makita tools. I will look at this saw, thanks for the review.

#3 posted 10-13-2010 10:55 PM

I need a jig saw, i shall look at this one.

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

#4 posted 10-14-2010 03:28 AM

I am also intrested in buying a jigsaw.
There has been reports that Bosch 1591EVSK Barrel Grip Jigsaw get hot after 15 minute use. Have you have any problem with yours (makita)?

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#5 posted 10-14-2010 04:44 AM

I have that same jigsaw (http://lumberjocks.com/mattg/reviews)!! Have you tried the new Starrett Dual-Cut jigsaw blades yet (http://www.starrett.com/download/183_pta_dualcut_ds.pdf)? Talk about splinter free cross cuts!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

#6 posted 10-14-2010 07:57 AM

I gave up on the jig saw many years ago cause of the top handle , not much control, vibration plus, balky plus it wouldn’t fit in alot of places where I needed to cut. For years I didn’t use a jig saw, then one day I used a barrel grip & was hooked. I was looking at the Bosch (Reading the reviews on barrel grips this is Bosch country…) I was all set to buy the Bosch then I saw the new Makita barrel grip, move over Bosch there’s a new grip in town & it comes with a light… One more thing I have a small hand…

-- Rick

View DoctorDan's profile

DoctorDan

#7 posted 10-14-2010 09:32 AM

I’ll keep an eye out for the Starrat blades. It’s like anything in woodworking though, the right blade, for the right job.

The barrel design is a great step forward. I think we will see more of it in the future. The position of your hands becomes a lot more natural and allows good control. One hand to push down and fowards, one to direct from the back.

The tool did warm up when cutting hardward for 20minutes plus. But not to level I would be concerned.

-- Daniel - http://theloveofwood.blogspot.com/

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 2091 days

#8 posted 10-15-2010 03:28 AM

I got one not to long ago and really like it, a pleasure to use, very clean cuts and the light is a nice option for older eyes glad I got it! Makita was the most expensive…. but you get what you pay for

-- Cosmicturner

View surfin2's profile

surfin2

#9 posted 10-16-2010 06:00 AM

I have a Bosch #1652 8 1/4 circular saw & its greet for cutting thick boards but when I adjust it to cut plywood that brings the handle up to high & forward…

It’s like I’m pulling the saw which makes it feel like it’s top heavy…

That’s the same feeling I get with a D handle jig saw…

-- Rick

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#10 posted 10-16-2010 06:10 PM

Thanks for the review, I love my Freud Jigsaw thats Made in Spain.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker