Miter gauge and blade purchase

Review by Ken90712 posted 10-07-2010 12:05 PM 2376 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Average rating: 5.0
1 review total
Add my Review

Miter gauge and blade purchase Miter gauge and blade purchase No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Sunday after a long workweek was over, with a little too much overtime for my taste I was reading Rockler sales paper. I had Monday off and Blondie was working, OH no, so off to Rockler I go. I received a coupon in the mail for 50 % of a 2nd item after purchasing a regular priced item of equal or less value. So I put in the reading glass’s ( New for me never had to before, LOL ) to read their fine print of all the things that were excluded from this coupon.

I was happy to read Forrest blades were not on the list along with the Incra 1000 miter gauge and fence system. I had been looking at this Blade & Incra miter gauge for some time deciding if it was really worth the 100 bucks each they wanted.

After carefully cutting 4 frames with miters on Sunday and Not Being Happy with the results I decided to buy both of these. After working a lot of overtime I need to buy something to make it feel worthwhile. Silly I know, but it works.

The miter gauge was easy to set up and after adjusting the T track Teflon’s there is almost NO Play in this when moved down my Table Saws top. It also showed me that my aft portion of the blade it slightly off from the front. As I heard a slight binding that I have never heard before.

First thing I noticed about the blade is it weighed at least twice as much as any blade. Their packaging of the blade was first rate. They care about the carbide tips, as it was wrapped in a rubber coating to protect them from getting damaged. It came off easily. After about one hour of calibrating and squaring up my Incra 1000, I started making cuts.

All I can say is WOW! Both blade and Miter gauge is top notch. The blade cuts like glass! I have never experienced such a smooth cut! The Miters were spot on as well. I have to say the saying, “you get what you pay for”, is very true in this case. I love both of the products and HIGHLY recommend both. I had a great day spending money at Rockler.

Thx for reading.

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

269 posts in 1915 days

#2 posted 10-07-2010 01:45 PM

great purchase! The incra miter gauge is well worth the money – I have had one for a few years and I agree above top notch. They make some fine equipment, I have come really close to getting the positioner a few time for the router table. Soon enough the right situation will arise and I will get on.

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#3 posted 10-07-2010 03:52 PM

Great additions Ken, Incra is a great product combine with the blade you’ll be spitting atoms. Have fun and stay safe ….BC

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 10-07-2010 08:30 PM

I’m going to agree that Incra makes very good products and I used to use the 1000. However, I switched to the Osborne EB3 and I feel that the Osborne is an even better miter gauge.

#5 posted 10-08-2010 10:23 AM

Richgreer,
thx for the info. I cked their web site and it looks like a great Miter Gauge as you say. It has some neat features. Here is a link for those that want to look at it. Not bad price either on sale for 119.00

Though with the Rockler coupon & getting 57.00 of the incra’s 110.00 price it worked out.

Thx for the info.

#6 posted 10-08-2010 12:00 PM

I am sure you will enjoy both of these additions to your shop, Ken. I put a 1000SE on my old Craftsman saw a few years back and have Forrest blades on all my saws. When I upgraded my saw I didn’t even bother to unpack the miter guage that came with the saw. I got Incra gauge on sale but, at 50% off, you managed to get a “steal” with your purchase.

#7 posted 10-08-2010 04:41 PM

If any one needs the coupon for 50 % off Rockler just sent me an e mail. Send me your e mal and I will Fwd to anyone that wants it It saved me 57 dollars buying the Forrest Blade and Incra miter Gauge.

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

#8 posted 10-10-2010 01:27 PM

I too have the 1000SE and love it. However, unlike Scott, I DID unpack my the miter gauge that came with my tablesaw. If you calibrate it for 90 deg. and leave it there, it’s great for use with jigs for box joints and the like. That way, you can save your good one for regular cuts and not have to make a lot of changeovers.

Don’t have a Forrest yet (my SawStop stock blade is pretty good), but one’s in the future for me.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com