Forrest Woodworker II saw blade

Review by Ken90712 posted 10-07-2010 11:43 AM 6040 views 1 time favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Forrest Woodworker II saw blade Forrest Woodworker II saw blade No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking at this blade for some time. I have 6-7 decent blades for 24 teeth to 60 tooth but they all seem to gum up while cutting various 8/4 lumber. I cut alot of Purple Heart, Walnut, Maple, Cherry and Paduuk for cutting boards. I’m constantly cleaning the blades. I even spray them with dry Teflon to boot but the gum up quickly.

Sunday after a long workweek was over, with a little too much overtime for my taste I was reading Rockler sales paper. I had Monday off and Blondie was working, OH no, so off to Rockler I go. I received a coupon in the mail for 50 % of a 2nd item after purchasing a regular priced item of equal or less value. So I put in the reading glass’s ( New for me never had to before, LOL ) to read their fine print of all the things that were excluded from this coupon.

I was happy to read Forrest blades were not on the list along with the Incra 1000 miter gauge and fence system. I had been looking at this Blade & Incra miter gauge for some time deciding if it was really worth the 100 bucks each they wanted.

After carefully cutting 4 frames with miters on Sunday and Not Being Happy with the results I decided to buy both of these. After working a lot of overtime I need to buy something to make it feel worthwhile. Silly I know, but it works.

First thing I noticed about the blade is it weighed at least twice as much as any blade. Their packaging of the blade was first rate. They care about the carbide tips, as it was wrapped in a rubber coating to protect them from getting damaged. It came off easily. After about one hour of calibrating and squaring up my Incra 1000, I started making cuts.

All I can say is WOW! Both blade and Miter gauge is top notch. The blade cuts like glass! I have never experienced such a smooth cut! The Miters were spot on as well. I have to say the saying, “you get what you pay for”, is very true in this case. I love both of the products and HIGHLY recommend both. I had a great day spending money at Rockler.

Thx for reading.

View degoose's profile

degoose

7036 posts in 2039 days

#1 posted 10-07-2010 11:55 AM

I love all my Incra gear.. I have the TSLS 32 the ruler set and Mitre Epress with Mitre 2000se. I have not tried the blade.. but then I use CMT from Italy… fantastic.. as well as their router bits..

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View Bothus's profile

Bothus

#2 posted 10-07-2010 03:05 PM

Hi Ken,

Thanks for posting this review. I have been thinking about the Ferrest blade, but haven’t bought one yet.

I got the Incra 1000se from Rockler for my birthday last year and just got a chance to set it up and use it last weekend. What a great product.

Take care,

Jerry

-- Jerry Boshear, Professional Kitchen Designer, amature woodworker.

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

#3 posted 10-07-2010 03:45 PM

Ken…I also have the Forrest blade, infact a couple of them. I have come to like the Freud P410 better. It gives a better cut is quieter and seems to stay sharp longer. Maybe next time when you are looking for a blade check it out. Oh, I almost forgot, picked it up off ebay for $60!!

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View GaryL's profile

GaryL

#4 posted 10-07-2010 03:52 PM

I have the Forrest WW II and also the Forrest Dado King. Both are top notch. I can cut dadoes in melamine with the DK with no chip out even after cutting hundreds of ft of dadoes. That impressed me the most. My WW II is almost do for a sharpening and I’ll send it back to Forrest for this. I don’t think a “regular” sharpening service can get it as polished as Forrest does. I also have a Tenru for a back up and it is quite impressive also.

-- Gary; Marysville, MI...Involve your children in your projects as much as possible, the return is priceless.

#5 posted 10-07-2010 07:49 PM

Ken, Thx for the info I’ll ck that Freud P140 out.

Gary I was told by Rockler to make sure you have a certified Forrest Rep sharpen the blade or it VOIDS the Warranty.

Thx for the comment guys!

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#6 posted 10-07-2010 08:27 PM

The WW II thin kerf blade is, by far, my favorite blade. I use it almost all the time. I only change to a true ripping blade when I am doing to be doing a lot of ripping. The cut with the WW II is just as good as the ripping blade when ripping but the ripping blade goes faster.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#7 posted 10-07-2010 09:14 PM

I have 3 WWII blades…..2 regular kerf, and 1 thin kerf. Best saw baldes I ever used…bar none…...

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1955 days

#8 posted 10-07-2010 09:15 PM

I have both as you do. I also have the Incra positioner…which I highly recommend…it is great for getting consistent dado’s and sliding dovetails…..I also use it on my router table…and can get some awesome results with the templates. Incra systems are really nice…as long as you read the instructions and follow them.

The only Forrest I have ever had a problem with was the chopmaster. A tooth got out of whack when cutting some hard cocobolo….and the blade caught and is now trashed….I do not think it was the blades fault…so I did not contact Forrest regarding warrantee…I believe the blade got out of whack because the fence on my Bosch 7412 had a crack in it and was not straight (of course the saw was out of warrantee)...So after replacing the blade and fence…all seems to be going well….I recommend if you have the Bosch…always check your fence before cutting to make sure it is straight and aligned accross (I use a steel ruler) I was told when I bought the replacement fence (only $40.00 at ereplacementparts.com) that the fence is a commonly replaced part (mostly from folks forgetting to move out of the way when cutting angled cuts)...The crack on mine seems to have been caused by a faulty locking bolt.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#9 posted 10-08-2010 03:52 AM

Yep, I’m still amazed with my Forrest saw blades!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View Retseih's profile

Retseih

#10 posted 10-08-2010 03:21 PM

I have four Forrest blades. Two WWII thin kerf, the Dado King and a chopmaster. I do like the performance of the WWII but will say that you definitely need to send it back to the factory for sharpening. I also like the Dado King. I need to send the Dado King back to the factory for sharpening also. This can get pretty expensive with shipping and their fees.

I am looking for a good solid blade that I can have sharpened locally. I am using a 3 hp unisaw so power is not an issue. I will probably give the Freud a try unless someone knows of a good universal blade. any favorites out there?

Dick

-- Palmer Divide Woodworks--Where steel collides with wood

#11 posted 10-08-2010 04:40 PM

If any one needs the coupon for 50 % off Rockler just sent me an e mail. Send me your e mal and I will Fwd to anyone that wants it It saved me 57 dollars buying the Forrest Blade and Incra miter Gauge.

#12 posted 10-09-2010 12:06 AM

Ken, this is another good review. I have the complete line of Forrest blades and have put them on all my saws. They work well for me and are a vast improvement over any other blades that I have previously used.

View woody57's profile

woody57

#13 posted 10-15-2010 06:26 PM

I’ve been using forrest blades for years and I love them.
My local sharping guy does a good job with these. I sent a blade back to forrest once for resharping and with shipping both ways and the sharping cost it came to around $40. Since then I’ve been using the local guy who does a good job and it only cost about $12. Forrest probably does a little bit better job, but after you cut for awhile I can’t really tell the difference. One thing I do is I have a dedicated blade to use when a cut needs to be perfect. I take it off when I do everyday ripping etc. I got my latest Forrest blade on Amazon for $75.

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View MicroKerf40's profile

MicroKerf40

#14 posted 04-02-2011 08:44 PM

I have a question for all of you that own the Forrest saw blades.

When Forrest states that your warrantee will be voided if you send the blade to another place to be sharpened, what is in that warrantee that you will lose?

Will they give you a new saw blade when your blade doesn’t perform to your liking after a few sharpening?

I have many Forest saw blades being sent to my place from around the country to get sharpened because I have been told that we do a better job, and our turnaround is faster.

We even honor Forest sharpening certificates.

Proper hammering and tensioning of saw blades is a dying art, and my company has perfected it.

Remember any one can sharpen a blade!

Thanks,

Don
www.totalsawsolutions.com

-- Don, Wisconsin, http://www.totalsawsolutions.com

View vernonator's profile

vernonator

#15 posted 04-27-2011 09:07 PM

I will add my +1 to this as well. Picked up a WWII to replace the stock blade that came with my new GI 50-240GT – and OH MY GOODNESS what a difference. Plywood cut with no splintering, 6/4 hard maple ripped and crosscut – cut like butter and smooth as glass. I am a believer!!!!!