Good Light to Medium Duty Drill/Driver

Review by Dedvw posted 10-01-2010 07:55 PM 2091 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Light to Medium Duty Drill/Driver No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Purchased this drill just over a week ago for a really good price ($88 brand new). Box came with the drill, 2 batteries, flashlight, charger and carrying case. The owners manual was not in the box but this was not really an issue, Ridgid makes it very easy to find the PDF manual on their website.

The tool itself appears very well made with a good blend of plastic and metal parts. The weight of the Drill is pretty good (a little lighter then my Makita 14.4V) but is a bit top heavy making it nearly impossible to stand up on its handle like they have it on the box. The handle is quite large but i have big hands and actually like the large handle. My wife held it too and she wasn’t turned off by the larger handle. The flashlight that came with it is pretty nice too if you need a flashlight, I have a bunch of Maglights so I dont see this getting much use. The LED on the Drill is nice and bright too if you find your working until sundown or in a dim area.

Operation of the drill is very good, the mulit-speed change is very dependable with the trigger. The chuck on mine doesn’t have any slop and comes to a stop immediately after letting go of the trigger. The clutch settings work very well and don’t vary much from screw to screw. I did notice that the clutch setting change if you change the transmission speed so adjust accordingly. Battery operation is very good, I know I’ve only had this drill for a week but they charge in 30 minutes and can do a ton of driving with one battery. I haven’t counted the number of screws, but it easily rivals my 2.6 mAh Makita.

Now to the bad parts. Once again, the Drill is top heavy and can be a pain at times. The chuck has let my bits go a couple times, kind of a pain when they fall into grass. The drill has enough power to drill a 3 inch screw on the slow setting but 320 RPMs is kinda slow when your trying to get things done. When I switch the transmission to the fast speed, the drill has this safetly feature to protect the battery and shuts the unit down. This means you have to press the button a few times to get a 3 inch screw in at the fastest speed. It has also shut down on me with some 2 inch screws in hardwood (Mahogany and Oak) even on the slowest setting. These shut downs are very brief, and releasing the trigger will usually reset the drill. Sadly, this is very frustrating and is a deal breaker for me. I will be returning the unit back to Home Depot and keeping my eyes open on some of the new 12 V Drills coming out..

View Dedvw's profile

Dedvw

View chickenguru's profile

chickenguru

#1 posted 10-02-2010 06:38 AM

I also just bought this a month ago and have used it a few times with no complaints. I bought it as a small jobs drill that you just get sick of using the 19.9 volt on. I gave it a decent workout and am happy with my purchase.

View Greedo's profile

Greedo

#2 posted 10-02-2010 12:09 PM

don’t expect too much from these little drivers, i have the bosch version and it’s great for anything it can handle. like liitle screws or larger screws in predrilled holes etc… say for anything you usually do with a larger drill with the clutch under 3/4 of the max setting.
i don’t think they are supposed to stand up.

View helluvawreck's profile (online now)

helluvawreck

#3 posted 10-02-2010 01:02 PM

Thanks for the tip. I actually need a smaller drill than what I have for some things.

View Canadian Woodworks's profile

Canadian Woodworks

#4 posted 10-02-2010 03:40 PM

I have this drill but it does not have 2 speeds, also I think the one you guys have with 2 speeds has double the torque!

Anyways I break everything and use this drill about every day, it’s still holding up great I have no complaints. I do have one battery that won’t charge says defective, gotta take care of that.

-- Paul Lemiski, Ontario Canada, Custom Wooden Rocking chairs and tables http://www.canadianwoodworks.com

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#5 posted 10-02-2010 05:11 PM

Thanks for the good review.

I have a complete set of DeWalt 18 volt cordless tools. As everyone knows, they are powerful and they are heavy. I wanted a smaller, lighter drill that would handle most mid-sized and smaller jobs. In my case, I chose the 12 volt hitachi after lifting and feeling virtually every option available.

In my mind, hitachi got the weight, balance and grip right and it has plenty of power for most of the jobs I ask it to do.

View Chinitorama's profile

Chinitorama

105 posts in 1952 days

#6 posted 10-02-2010 06:42 PM

Like Paul, I have the earlier single-speed version of this drill. No problems to speak of, except that the overmolded grip starts to wear and look like a peeling sunburn. Then again, I really only use it for drilling for hardware screws.

-J.

View PirateOfCatan's profile

PirateOfCatan

57 posts in 2052 days

#7 posted 10-03-2010 12:42 PM

I own both the two speed and the single speed. At the time I bought the single speed it was is a kit with Ridgid’s 12v impact driver. I would agree with the torque dilemma other people have been experiencing. The impact driver has a similar issue driving lag screws. Like Rich, I just use my DeWalt 18v kit when I really need to drive longer or beefier fasteners.

One thing I would add is that the drills will slow down, slightly, when the battery is low. This is your only warning that the battery is just about to be completely dead. Sometime I am caught by surprise, and wish I purchased the Milwaukee with the battery life indicator. I have used the Milwaukee’s a great deal and it is nice to find out the battery is flat when you pick it, up by the chargers.

-- P.O.C.

View Tribalwind's profile

Tribalwind

#8 posted 10-04-2010 04:35 AM

i have issues with this drill . the power is just fine for what theyre meant for. but basically the “drag has a lag” if that makes sense.. i actually would not recommend these at all because of this 1 very crucial flaw.

when i set the drag low to not over-tighten or strip out a screw, this $%^ing thing goes right ahead and drives at full force for a second or so before the drag actually activates,if at all ! . i dont think it is a malfunctioning driver since i got a Pain and both do this..its like the drag is electronic and not mechanical/automatic. so it has to think about it or trip a switch indicator or whatever…very frustrating!

i want to get a bosch i think, or a makita, these will just be backups.

think i paid $100 maybe for a pair of them in a canvas case. the batteries die fast as well.
they’re also bulkier than the bosch so not as good getting into tight spots…of course bosch/makita are way more expensive.

-- Matthew,Long island ny. www.tribalwind.com