First one was a dud, second one is fine.

Review by dbhost posted 09-29-2010 11:29 PM 2007 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First one was a dud, second one is fine. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Mind you, pnuematic nailers are honestly very simple tools as far as air tools go. The driver is simply a piston, with a simple connecting rod sort of arrangment. You would think that if a company is going to build a product that has a piston, a connecting rod, and motion, that there would be a wrist pin right? Well not in my first one. Now #2 is working great. It leaks a tiny bit of air, but that is my fault. I took the thing apart to inspect it and managed to tear one of the paper gaskets. It is simple enough to reseal this thing, I just haven’t bothered.

It drives all the nails I could want, it was cheap, and it fills the gap between the framing nailer, and the pinner just fine. This is a must have for my shop, and I am very happy with it, Well with #2 that is…

With all things considered, the fact that I got a quality control flub out the door isn’t that big of a deal. Harbor Freight’s customer service did exactly what they were supposed to do.

Just like the framing nailer, this lacks a case. No big thing, but a case would have been really nice for storage / shop organization.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

5386 posts in 1954 days

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#1 posted 09-30-2010 12:32 AM

Thanks for the info. No HF stores in Alaska, but I assume they have mailorder if necessary.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2025 days

#2 posted 09-30-2010 12:39 AM

I have their older purple color gun, I really like it. When it goes I may end up with this newer model. Thanks for the review.

View RonPeters's profile

RonPeters

#3 posted 09-30-2010 07:51 AM

I have an 18ga and it works pretty well for $19…

-- “Once more unto the breach, dear friends...” Henry V - Act III, Scene I

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

#4 posted 09-30-2010 04:09 PM

All my nail guns are from Harbor Freight, with the exception of my large framing nailer. They all work great and have had no issues. I really like my 23 guage pin nailer. There is no real safty feature on it so I can shoot at the occasional mouse that invades my shop. Haven’t hit one yet. Haven’t even come close, but it scares the crap out of them.

-- Ray

5386 posts in 1954 days

#5 posted 09-30-2010 04:28 PM

FWIW, I have this nailer, the 98917 28 degree framing nailer, 97526 23 gauge pin nailer, and 46309 18 gauge combination nailer / stapler. With the exception of the one production screw up, huge quality control miss on this one, I haven’t had a single problem with any of my HF pneumatic stuff. So far like so many others, the 23 ga pinner is my favorite. My least favorite is the combination nailer / stapler. It works great as a stapler, but tends to overdrive nails, and leave dents…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#6 posted 09-30-2010 06:08 PM

Raymond
Give a guy anything that resembles or works like a gun, it is going to get used as a gun sooner or later….................at least that’s my personal experience…..............(-:

Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View dfdye's profile

dfdye

#7 posted 10-01-2010 08:39 PM

I have this 16 gauge brad nailer and HF’s 23 gauge pinner too, and I’ll add my name to the list of those who are well satisfied with these two tools. They are NOT top of the line, but neither is my need! They work perfectly for what I use them for, and I haven’t had any problem with either. For the price, I am not sure how they can be beat!

-- David from Indiana --

View 4516900's profile

4516900

#8 posted 03-23-2012 11:02 PM

My 16 gauge finish nailer # 66872 shoots nails without any safety option. It states I should select the trigger option but the unit came without a manual. Where do I get a manual or how to I adjust the unit to not shoot nails without a interlock????