Good saw for a good price

Review by cpd011 posted 09-29-2010 04:00 AM 5144 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good saw for a good price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Over the weekend I picked up a new miter saw. I had previously been using a 10 year old Delta 10” single bevel miter saw with an Irwin arbor mounted laser. No knocks against the Delta, it has erved me well but I wanted the larger crosscut capacity and a higher fence. I read every review I could find from this and other websites, and also went and kicked the tires at various stores. I decided on the masterforce because it is virtually identical to the Craftsman Professional 12” slider (not the Craftsman 12” that has been reviewed on thi site, that one’s a single bevel.) Whereas the Craftsman Pro retails for the $650.00 range, the Masterforce was on sale this weekend from $459.00 to $379.00. Let me say that price was a big factor for me, I liked the Dewalt but it cost another $200.00.

As for the tool itself, it has one or two minor differences from the Craftsman model such as no up-front bevel lock and different workpiece supports on the sides. Otherwise it is identical. It has a laser which is factory set. I am a fan of lasers, as long as they are set accurately. This one appears to be but time will tell. Unlike my aftermarket laser on the Delta which required a spinning blade, this has a separate on/off switch mounted on top of the handle assembly and the laser is A/C powered. There are left and right side two piece sliding fences. The upper parts slide to the side with the flip of a toggle/cam clamp. The fences feel solid and they have a shallow diamonf pattern cut into them to give the workpiece a little resistance when you’re pushing into it. The table is a good size and there are two wings/ arms that rotate out of the center table arm to give more support to pieces of greater depth (will try to add a picture). All of the adjustments/ detents have a solid feel to them and there does not appear to be any wiggle room. Unlike the Dewalt the miter degree scale is a sticker and not a metal plate. The sticker is the only thing that feels cheap about the saw but it is by no means crappy. I juste like the way Dewlalt does theres better. There are detents for your crown angles as well. It is a dual bevel and is set by twisting a large handwheel behind the armature like my old delta. There are more comvenient setups but I don’t find it to be a hassle. Dust collection is terrible but is does have a 2” port which is nice for my shop-vac setup. Everything about seems to be well-made and nothing feels cheap. It a heck of alot quieter than a few miter saws I’ve used. It cuts a hair under 12 -1/2 inches in depth and 5 1/2 inches high. It has a very convenient and easy to use depth of cut adjustment for quick dadoes. The stock blade has been OK for the one or two things I’ve done over the weekend but I have not tried it on any good wood yet. The sliding mechanism is very smooth and there is no deflection when pushing side to side with the saw extended.

I’m giving it four stars because it’s brand new but I’m really hoping it turns out to be a 5 star saw. The saw feels like a champ. Sorry for rambling.

View cpd011's profile

cpd011

View cpd011's profile

cpd011

#1 posted 09-29-2010 03:06 PM

I have a better pictur ebut don’t know how to add it to review.

View Abbott's profile