Replaced 1 1/2hp Jet with 2 hp HF

Review by gene posted 09-26-2010 07:00 AM 5620 views 7 times favorited 44 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Replaced 1 1/2hp Jet with 2 hp HF No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am very pleased with the 2hp HF. I caught it on sale for $151.99. I could not be any happier with the big difference in suction power. This was well worth the price. Knowing what I know now, the jet unit was a waste of my time and money. This unit is twice as good!

View Woodwrecker's profile

#1 posted 09-26-2010 07:13 AM

Thanks Gene.
I bought a Delta a few years back that doesn’t have the power I hoped for.
I think the HF model is going to be my next one.
They have a 20% off coupon in Wood magazine for HF that’s good until the end of the year.
I think I’m going to take advantage of it.
Thanks for your review.

-- Eric down in sunny Florida.

View Jimi_C's profile

#2 posted 09-26-2010 08:26 AM

I’ve got this as well, and it lives up to its reputation – it keeps up with every one of my tools (including a 6” jointer and 13” planer) through 30’ of flex tubing. I can’t imagine that the models that sell for 3-4x the price provide that much better performance. I also bought the extended warranty, and I think I paid around $175 for it total. Absolutely recommended to anyone looking to get a decent dust collector, just make sure you have a dedicated 20A circuit since the startup draw is pretty good.

View ellen35's profile

#3 posted 09-26-2010 12:08 PM

This unit restores my faith in HF. They do make some really good products… and some junk!
The trick is in knowing the difference.
Check out the better filters. They are about the same price as the unit itself, but they filter so much better. Not a bit of dust in my shop.
This is really a nice dust collector.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View 8iowa's profile

#4 posted 09-26-2010 02:47 PM

I don’t know how a company could sell a 2 HP dust collector for only $152. You can’t find a 2 HP motor alone for that price. There are wierd happenings going on at HF. The elderly founder of the company is suing the new CEO, his son, for taking huge sums of cash out of the company for his personal and extravagant use. There are a lot of unhappy employees. I would not be surprised to see a major shake-up in the future.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

View StumpyNubs's profile

#5 posted 09-26-2010 03:30 PM

I have this collector and even ran a 4” PVC duct system with blast gates thgroughout my shop. Have a dozen tools hocked up to it and as long as only one gate is open at a time, it really works well. This is far more than a portable collector, it’s a good central collection system. I also added a trashcan cyclone using the lid from woodcraft and it is even handier!

-- Subscribe to "Stumpy Nubs Woodworking Journal"- One of the crafts' premiere online publications:

View Abbott's profile

#6 posted 09-26-2010 03:42 PM

I also use the HF unit. 4” PVC to 6 machines with a blast gate for each. It works fine….as above only one gate open at a time. I paid $229.00 for my unit several years ago.

View Florida_Jim's profile

83 posts in 1969 days

#7 posted 09-26-2010 05:00 PM

There’s a coupon in the back of “wood Magazines” “Workshop jigs, tips, and ideas book”.
The coupon price for the DC is $139.99.
I’m going to get one, when my retirement check comes.

#8 posted 09-26-2010 06:40 PM

It would be nice if you provided links to both the Jet and the HF units to see if you are comparing apples to apples or to oranges. If the filter medium is different (microns of filtration) for example you would have more or less suction , not to mention the horsepower differences.
Congrats on your new equipment : )

#9 posted 09-27-2010 04:20 AM

Hi! Dusty,
I appoligise for not having the links you ask about. There probably are some differences. My main reason for liking it is, I don’t have to pick up half as much sawdust from the floor anymore. It just flat does the job, I need done. I also do not notice much, if any increase in fine dust particle’s in the air. I am just greatly impressed, especially with the huge cost difference. $159.99 compared 3 to 4 hundred plus shipping I paid a few years back for the Jet. Thanks to you and all the others for their comments to the post.

Hi! Jimi_C, I agree with the dedicated circuit. I Cannot run the shop exhaust fan at the same time. New circuit in the planing stage.

View ClayandNancy's profile

#10 posted 09-27-2010 04:30 AM

I looked at the HF last week, Wood mag does have a coupon good till 12/24/10. How well does this machine work with 6” duct, anyone up it to 6”.

#11 posted 09-27-2010 05:04 AM

Here is the link I used to get a 20% coupon that HF accepted. I hope this helps someone.

#12 posted 09-27-2010 05:57 AM

There are a lot of folks that upsize the intake port to 6” on the HF 2HP dust collector with good results. However you have to build your own adapter. Simply build a disk using the original flange, with a hole for 6” duct, drill the appropriate mounting holes, install the 6” duct, mount it all up and start sucking through 6” duct…

I have had one of these DCs for a while now, fitted with the Wynn 35A, they really do a nice job….

-- My workshop blog can be found at

View smitty22's profile

668 posts in 2038 days

#13 posted 09-27-2010 05:08 PM

Thanks for the review, price is right!
Gene thanks for the coupon link as well.

Wondering if this dust collector can be upgraded with an available cannister? Size?

-- Smitty

#14 posted 09-27-2010 07:51 PM

Yes the HF 2HP dust collector can, and very often is upgraded to a canister filter (mine is). You will want the Wynn Environmental 35A filter. In order to keep from clogging up that pleated filter you will want a separator of some sort.

For the separator, I would suggest you go with a shop built Thien Cyclone Separator, which you can build as either an integrated baffle into the DC, or as a separator trash can separator.

See my writeup on the subject. I presently have Thien separators for both my DC and my shop vac. They work fantastic!

-- My workshop blog can be found at

View rance's profile

#15 posted 09-27-2010 08:02 PM

Yeah, I heard the HF ones really suck.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--