Smooth, Thin Cuts

Review by tnstaafl posted 09-23-2010 10:32 PM 3190 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Smooth, Thin Cuts No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just installed this Micro-Kerf 40 blade from Total Saw Solutions on my SawStop Contractor’s Saw, and I must say I’m impressed. Smooth, glue-ready cuts, with a kerf as thin as a dime. The blade comes with stabilizer discs built in, starts and runs with no blade noise. It went through a bunch of 4/4 oak very easily, which stands to reason since the kerf is so thin. The stabilizer discs do limit the depth of cut a little, but for precision cutting of quality hardwoods – I like it! I had initial reservations that the blade would be too thin to provide enough signal for the SawStop, but no problem. Now I just need to go back and get the splitter kit… (Rockler carries it as well.)

-- There's no such thing as a free lunch...

View tnstaafl's profile

tnstaafl

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#1 posted 09-23-2010 10:44 PM

Thanks for the tip. It looks like it would be worth a try.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 09-24-2010 02:31 AM

Thank for the review.

I’ve been curious about this blade for awhile. I hope you will provide another report in a month or so. I know of someone who liked this blade when he first got it and returned it a few weeks later because the quality of the cut deteriorated.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#3 posted 09-24-2010 05:16 AM

I saw some info on this blade too. I also am interested to know how it performs over time. One of the things that sometimes frustrates me about my contractor saw is that it bogs down in thicker/harder woods. Please provide another update in a month or two when you have run a good bit more wood across that blade.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#4 posted 09-24-2010 10:36 PM

Thanks for the review. At $175 this blade may set a new record. I’ve used Forrest blades for years, and don’t balk at the cost, but when it came to making inlay banding, I followed Steve Latta’s advice and tried a Freud Diablo 7 1/4” blade with the same 1/16th inch kerf as this pricy 10” blade. For box work and most regular stock, it works really well and costs $14.50 at Home Depot. That’s 12 Diablos for one of these. I’d be interested to know how much more actual depth you get when using the required stiffener. Aside from some special applications it would seem to be a VERY expensive blade with few net benefits. Am I missing something?

View sbandyk's profile

sbandyk

#5 posted 09-28-2010 02:45 PM

I’d be interested to hear feed back on heat dissipation. There’s less mass in the blade so less opportunity to dissipate heat. Hopefully it won’t generate as much with a smaller cut.
With a price that high, it’d be I’m concerned I’d see premature dulling and increased pitch buildup.

View MicroKerf40's profile

MicroKerf40

#6 posted 04-02-2011 07:47 PM

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this review about our saw blade and thought I would help answer some of your questions.

First of all, a big thanks to ( tnstaafl ) from Tigard Oregon who gave us a 5 star review using the Saw Stop contractor’s table saw.
There are many more woodworkers like him who are speaking the truth about our saw blade because they experienced it. It’s an all-purpose glue line finish ripping/cross cutting saw blade for all woods and plastics. It’s the real McCoy! It is designed to cut 2 ½” but we strongly recommend no more than 2” to keep the blade cooler.

It has been a year now since we introduced the Micro-Kerf 40 and we have sold over 300 blades and so far only 6 have come back for their first sharpening.

We all know that the cutting tool is what makes the machine good or bad. If the machine is out of alignment all cutting tools will not perform well. We at Total Saw Solutions had discovered this fact once we introduced the Micro-Kerf 40 into the woodworking market. At first we were receiving calls that our blade wasn’t working very good, so we had the customer send the Micro-Kerf 40 back for inspection and found that our blade was still holding a 0.001 run out which was far better than the industry standard of 0.009 run out. Our solution was to make a video on our web site to teach the woodworkers how to properly align their own table saw without having to buy precision measuring tools. It worked, and we are no longer receiving complaints.

Heat is the #1 factor that destroys the cutting performance of a saw blade.
All of you have been told that you need to have your saw blade tooth stick 1/8 inch up over your work piece that you are cutting. This is wrong thinking and it will take the life out of your saw blade. It is very important to keep the blade tips ½” over the work piece while it is cutting, because the blade stays cooler and the cut is smooth and stable. If you keep the blade tips higher than ¾” above the work piece, the cutting finish becomes rougher feeling, and the cut may start to wander sooner as the blade gets dull.

If you follow these two basic tips of advice, alignment and 1/2” cutting height, the 10”Micro-Kerf 40 saw blade will put a big smile on your face!

Next I will answer the comment about the 7 ¼” Freud blade.

1) You get what you pay for!
2) It is not 1/16” kerf, but a little thinner than 3/32”.
3) You are limited to the depth of cut on the table saw.
4) The blade is made out of soft steel and bends easy and that’s why it’s a throw away blade.
5) It can only be sharpened about 3 times, and then the cutting finish stays bad. (That is how it’s made.)
6) It is not made with materials purchased in the USA.
7) You get what you pay for!

Next I will answer a question that you may want to ask.

Why don’t you sell your blade separately from its support collars like Forrest does?

That was our first idea, but soon discovered repeated blade run out issues.
After we fastened the support collars to the saw blade and tuned it in like a musical instrument, the Micro-Kerf 40 held a tight run out tolerance of 0.001 or less while cutting. Now our saw blade was more than a typical saw blade. It became a precision cutting tool!

Is the Micro-Kerf 40 that more expensive than the Forest Woodworker II? No!

If you take the cost of the Woodworker II and buy their 2 support collars, you end up with a blade at about the same cost.
Look at my picture thumbnail. There are three saw blades pictured. The Micro-Kerf 40 is in the center and the Woodworker II thin kerf is on the right side at 3/32nds” kerf.

Which one would you want?

It’s your choice!!!

Don’t knock it until you try it!

It comes with a 90 day money back guarantee!!!

Call me at 1-800-773-3133 and I will help you through any questions or visit us on the web at www.totalsawsolutions.com

Thanks for reading my responses!

Don Angelo – President
Total Saw Solutions Inc.
1-800-773-3133

-- Don, Wisconsin, http://www.totalsawsolutions.com

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#7 posted 04-02-2011 08:27 PM

I tried the blade some time ago...

Maybe it’s better now… (??)

I went back to my 1/8” kerf WW-II…