Veritas Micro-Adjust Wheel Marking Gauge

Review by mafe posted 1401 days ago 5830 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Micro-Adjust Wheel Marking Gauge No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Veritas Micro-Adjust Wheel Marking Gauge
Yes I have seen that there are already a review this tool!

But!!!

I do not all agree in the judgment:

I think it’s a excellent marking tool, I think it’s so delicate, and well made, that it makes any LJ want to touch it!
It’s precise.
It’s cutting a sharp spur.
Its a pleasure to hold in your hand.

What I do agree, are that the micro adjustment are not super useful, but I actually used it to fine tune the other day for my dovetails, and I thought it did a wonderful job, even I had to use two hands.

So to have it in my hand, to see and feel the quality of this tool, and to be able to micro adjust – it leaves me with no choice than to give it five stars!

When this is said, then I will say you do not need a micro adjuster, people do fine with a stick and a nail, so if you buy tools only from need, buy this without the micro feature, and save the bucks.

It’s like a good Opel car or a Porsche, they both get you to work, but it’s a little more fun in the Porsche.
But honestly, if I should buy one today, I would still throw in the extra bucks for a micro adjuster, but then again look at my title…

Hope it will not bring too much confusion to my fellow LJ’s…

MaFe

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thankĀ“s for the rewiew Mads as always a joy to read your post :-)

Take care
Dennis

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Mads, I think that this is probably a nice tool. I started to buy one the other day but I couldn’t afford it. I use the combination mortice and marking gage that I bought almost 40 years ago and it still works good for me. I would like to have one, however. Maybe I can get one somewhere on down the road.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

I also have the one without the micro adjuster. When I purchased mine, the one with the micro-adjuster was not yet available. As you know, had the micro-adjuster have been available, there is no way that I would have been able to turn it down. I’m too much of a tool-a-holic to pass on that. Just look at my signature.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View Jeff Roberts's profile

Jeff Roberts

35 posts in 1903 days

The micro adjuster looks like it would lock more secure than the one without it. I have had my older model slip sometimes when marking a long resaw cut. I still really like the tool. I usually set it using dial calipers and make certain to tighten well so it doesn’t slip when marking along the grain.

-- Jeff, Dayton, OH

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

Nice write up mon copain, when using hand tool precision is the optimum and micro adjustment make it happen. Thanks for sharing this marking tool it just may make my shopping list…BC Just place order through Lee Valley free shipping through Sept. 27 thank again Mafe

mafe

So cool with all the answers, and feedback, the more the better, since this can be the best place for reviews if we use it.
Best of thoughts,

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

I have this tool, also, and really like it. There are certain tools that are so beautifully designed & built that it’s a pleasure just to hold them, like this gauge and my Lie-Nielsen shoulder plane. God, I need to get a life…

-- Gene T

mafe

It’s what we have – a life – a life full of passion.
And it’s soooooooooo wonderful.

View DoctorDan's profile

DoctorDan

I use this guage all the time. I use the micro adjust feature probably half the time. It is handy but not as revolutionary as I thought It would be.

-- Daniel - http://theloveofwood.blogspot.com/

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

So much better than those markers with a spur. I use my Veritas exclusively now.

View jackass's profile

jackass

Hi Mafe,
Have never used a marking guage, perhaps after having read this it will be an excuse to buy one.
Jack

-- Jack Keefe Shediac NB Canada

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

I picked this up a few months ago, but have not had a need for it yet. I will say this: I looked first at the Rockler version of this gauge and all I can say is, Made in China. Fit and finish sucks on it. The movement of the fence was rough and it just felt cheap. When My Veritas gauge came in I knew I made the right choice.

mafe

Now I used it for quite a while, and can oly say ‘IT IS SUBLIME’ I simply love it.
The detail, the use, the precission.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I have this gauge and the TiteMark and use ithem more often than any other. My favorite part about it is that you can make a mark in the wood (for a dado/rebate, for example) using a sharp knife. You can then place the wheel in the knife mark and snug the fence to the wood. I find this harder to do with knife-based cutting gauges. Of course, I don’t have any of these for reference!

Try this: