Zona Razor review

Review by mafe posted 09-23-2010 12:11 AM 5509 views 2 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Zona Razor review Zona Razor review Zona Razor review Click the pictures to enlarge them

Zona Fine Kerf Razor Saw 32TPI
and a touch of the Ultra Thin Kerf Razor Saw and 3-in-1 Saw Set.

Here in Denmark I could only get the Zona models with the normal handle, but it’s a really good handle so no sweat.
I took some pictures today, when I cut my first dovetails with this little guy, and will explain from that!

Here are the three types I have. Fine Kerf Razor Saw 32TPI, this is the one being tested here.
And the 3 in one model (God knows why I bought this also). The three in one, I bought to have in my ‘on the move’ toolbox, but I think it’s too fine a tool to use for that, so he will stay home.
Ultra Thin Kerf Razor Saw 52TPI, are actually so fine and with a so low back, that this will be for model work, or perhaps for a box for my contact lenses, if I did not use glasses.

Fine Kerf Razor Saw 32TPI.
When I opened the box I was for two minutes in a coma…
I had not ordered a toy, but a saw!

- here you see why!
It’s really small, and the blade is so thin, that you doubt it.

When you look at the teeth (if you can…), you start even more to doubt.
Here I compare with my Japanese pull saw, that I was impressed about, because it makes so sweet cuts.
But do not let you fool the Zona saws are also pull saws, and that’s why they can be so thin.

But do not let you be fooled as I said, this little saw with the big name (is it just me, or? This name is really quite funny – like something from a Star Treck movie).
Here you see a cut, a mitered dovetail cut, no after trim, just the pure cut – yes it’s Razor!
I’m quite Impressed, and thinner than my pencil almost.

Here the both sides (you can only blame me for the mistakes, not the saw).
If I shall give some critic, it will of course be that so little teeth, so narrow set, with so little distance – yes it makes you take more strokes, but strokes with absolutely no effort, so no sweat!

The three saws, you can see why I say the ultra fine is a little small…

And even the keyhole saw on the 3 in 1 model are really small, that it will be for the dollhouse door!
I do not know why they now turned the tooth direction?

Minus:
It’s small, only for delicate work.
It’s fragile, so you need to guide the teeth.
You cannot sharpen it when it’s getting dull.

Plus:
It cost nothing!.
It makes so thin cuts that you have to invest in a finer pencil.
It’s quite easy to control because it’s a pull saw.
You will need no after work to your cuts.

So what is my conclusion?
This is not a full size dovetail saw (I cannot compare, since I have no other), but it’s a more than enough size dovetail saw.
I would like to have a ‘real’ handle for more control.
I love it after using it, and I’m sure that for the price this is the best tool you can get for making fine dovetails.

So my final judgment is clear:
Buy it! And I’ll give it five stars, since I choose not to compare it to ‘normal’ dovetailsaws.
(I still dream of a Veritas, Lie Nielsen or one of those beautiful Englishmen).

Next time, I think I’ll go for less teeth, since this 32 model are able to cut dovetails in a nut shell.
Here are a link to the Zona hompage , where you can read what Anissa Kapsales and Christopher Schwarz wrote abut the saws.

Swirt, made an excellent review of the deluxe models, and I second all he writes about these saws. [And just for the record, you should listen to this guy, he knows what he is talking about].

I hope this can be useful,

Best thoughts,
MaFe

View swirt's profile

swirt

1952 posts in 1723 days

#1 posted 09-23-2010 04:45 AM

Great review Mafe. Funny that you describe needing a thinner pencil, made me laugh, but it really is true.

You’ve probably already noticed that you can pull the saw straight out of the handle, So I am sure that you could whip up a better handle with no problem. (you’ll probably put in a built in grease box for convenience too) :)

Can I get you to write that last line about me knowing what I am talking about in a handwritten note so I can show it to my wife? She needs more convincing. If I print this out she’ll just say that I wrote that myself ;)

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

#2 posted 09-23-2010 11:25 AM

I laugh my dear Swirt,
I can call her!
I think I’ll do a better handle, a vertical one, thank you for the idea.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View Schwieb's profile (online now)

Schwieb

#3 posted 09-23-2010 01:44 PM

Yet another tool I must buy. Thanks for reviewing it Mads. Thats pretty darn good jointery fora first attempt.

-- Dr. Ken, Florida - Durch harte arbeit werden Träume wahr.

View patron's profile

patron

13181 posts in 2092 days

#4 posted 09-23-2010 03:05 PM

not bad
for a ‘mad(s)’ woodworker !

sweet saws
good review

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#5 posted 09-23-2010 07:35 PM

thanks,for the rewiew Mads

an Adria type handle would fit very niice on them…..LOL

take care
Dennis

#6 posted 09-23-2010 10:31 PM

Tom I do not know those saws… Give me a link!

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#7 posted 09-24-2010 05:26 AM

There you go. Now somebody has a tool that I don’t have. You know I’m going to have to go and buy them now.

Great review Mads.

I saw Swirts review on one of these a while back and started to buy one then.

Swirt, don’t bother trying to get a hand written note. It wouldn’t do any good. “A prophet is never without honor, except in his own home.” (paraphrase)

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View RogerBean's profile

RogerBean

#8 posted 09-24-2010 04:41 PM

I agree. I have a number of small saws, but these are my favorites. For small work they are unbeatable.