Performax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander (Part Two Nitty gritty)

Review by sandhill posted 09-20-2010 01:45 AM 7211 views 1 time favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Performax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander (Part Two Nitty gritty) No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I will wrap this review up by saying I am 99.9% happy with this machine I will say the belts are a little hard to change until you get the hang of it. The machine came with 80 grit paper but I already have a planer so after testing it I took it off. I replaced it with 100 grit and that was OK for removing planer marks so I left my dimensions around 3/32+ over size. My first attempt at changing the paper was what I expected, I did not get it tight enough at the right angle or it was skewed in the clip at any rate I started to get a little burn mark that was due to the paper starting to overlap so I re-did the paper and it worked just fine. I changed out the 100 grit and tried the 180 grit and it did not overlap so I guess I did it right.

Then I went to 220 grit, as you can see it produced excellent results.

On a 5 star rating I would give it a 4.5 simply because of the difficulty in changing the belt as you see from the picture it can be a pain to get your fingers in the drum to hold back the clip that holds the paper.

They give you a tool but its pretty much useless at the inboard clip which is the most difficult.

View closetguy's profile

closetguy

#1 posted 09-20-2010 02:07 AM

I can’t change the inboard end without the tool. I find it quick and easy. Mine is a 16-32, so the clip design may be different.

-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com

View Uncle_Salty's profile

Uncle_Salty

#2 posted 09-20-2010 04:26 AM

My 22-44 is my time siphon! I love it when the belt is set right and I have it all dialed in. Gosh a guy has to realize that it isn’t a planer and that you have to use it as a sander! It is really easy to turn it down a little too tight and create problems on panels!

It is a great tool for face frames though!

#3 posted 09-20-2010 05:07 AM

I am unable to fit the tool in on the motor side to get it into the hole but I may be doing it wrong. I fount I get better results using my finger even though its a bit tight, It just seems easier to use my finger and a needle nose on the outboard end. I do have to say I don’t know how I did without it. I just sanded 9 legs and just about ready to make some panels for the night stands I am making.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2572 posts in 2099 days

#4 posted 09-20-2010 12:19 PM

I am looking at the 16-32 (on another forum thread) and everyone seems to be very pleased with the larger Jets. My 10-20 just died on me. Good to know that everyone has problems in the beginning with getting the paper on the drum.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#5 posted 09-20-2010 04:18 PM

I could never get that tool to work either. What I did was to use a small mirror to see what I was dealing with. After I understood what it was doing, it was easy to use my finger to do it.

Looks like Jet has changed the design after they bought out Performax. It looks lighter. Mine seems to weigh about 200 pounds.

#6 posted 09-20-2010 04:59 PM

The net weight of the 22/44 is 394 pounds, Looks like they beefed it up a little. I can change the belt in under 10 minutes after my 4th time and it is straight forward, I think there is a little more room between the motor and the drum than the other sanders I have about 1”. It was easy to set the drum so it is parallel to the feed bed and by the sound of it the manual is written a little better.

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5142 posts in 1975 days

#7 posted 09-20-2010 07:35 PM

I have the Jet 22-44 and at first I had to struggle with changing the paper. I also use my finger instead of the tool and find it more convenient. Changing the sanding belt, like anything else, gets easier with parctice and I have probable changed paper 20+ times. I also buy my paper in 50 yard rolls since it is cheaper and cut a bunch of them to length. I saved the original paper that came with it to use as a template for cutting others.
Fantastick machine..I am also glad I bought the22-44 instead of the smaller one. The larger capacity has come in handy many times.

#8 posted 09-20-2010 08:24 PM

Where do you get your rolls from?

View POGO's profile

POGO

#9 posted 09-21-2010 01:47 AM

Two good sources for drum sander rolls are Industrial Abrasives and Online Industrial Supply.

-- Arvid, Spring Texas

#10 posted 09-21-2010 04:03 AM

They seem to be right around the same price Thanks.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

#11 posted 09-21-2010 07:04 AM

Greetings sandhill,
Thanks for the review… Hopefully this will help me some when I buy my sander.
I’ve marked this as a favorite, so I can remember how to do it…....lol. It’s heck getting old.
I guess I’m gonna have to start carrying a pad to write stuff down…...

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

#12 posted 09-21-2010 09:06 PM

I picked up an old one of these. It took me a while to figure out how the tool was suppose to work but after I figured it out there is no way any one could ever say its easier with your finger. Now, I only use it on the side where the belt is on the drum. That clip for me is different than the one on the other side. It will clip the paper and pull it into the drum a little bit as well. I’ll try to put that tool on the drum tonight and take a pick so you guys can see how it opens the clip and locks in place. Then you have both hands free to stuff the paper in the slot and the just grab the tool and release the clip. So I used some bold words here because I think I can convince everyone to use that little tool that came with the sander.

#13 posted 09-22-2010 01:23 AM

OK if you guys already know how to use this tool please don’t think I’m trying to insult your intelligence. I slapped up a quick blog on how I use it so have a look. Its way easier than using your finger.

blog

#14 posted 09-22-2010 05:24 AM

I find it easier to set the belt clip with just my finger. I went from 100 through the grits down to 220 for the panels I am doing for my night stands so I changed papers 3 times today and tried using the tool only to give up and used my finger with the same results only faster. For me I have trouble getting it to come up onto the drum.

#15 posted 09-22-2010 02:10 PM

You know it seems that you have a lot more clearance on yours to access the the clip on the right side. My model 22-44 is a very old one.(I think one of the first generation) The clearance on mine doesn’t let me get my finger in there very well at all and I’m not a big guy. I do like the convenience of the tool holding the clip open for me though, so I think even if I could use my finger I might not. But then again it does mean that I have to find it every time I want to use it.

In the end…. I didn’t mean to hijack your review. A review is not something that is open for debate. Your opinion of this piece of equipment is, in my opinion, an accurate depiction of its performance. I second the motion that this is a nice tool and I also recommend owning one if you have the chance.