Assembling the (Performax) JET 22-44 PRO 22-Inch 3-HP Drum sander.

Review by sandhill posted 1436 days ago 4808 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Assembling the (Performax) JET 22-44 PRO 22-Inch 3-HP Drum sander. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A big box was delivered today I don’t remember the last time I was this excited; it was a very big box at that.
I have to say it was packed very well so I started by doing an inventory of all the parts and to my surprise everything was there, in tact, and well documented. Did I say it was packed very well?
Here are the assembly steps right out of the manual with out all the stuff that you say “what the heck are they trying to say” ??? and a few things that I found that could cause a problem during assembly.

It comes as two major assemblies, the feed table and the drum sander. The rest is individually wrapped in its own plastic bags so don’t just open all the bags and dump them into a box or you will be sorting through it every time you preform another assembly step. I usually do not read the manual first and only refer to it if I need to see something that I don’t quite understand. Do not do this with this machine There are very important steps that you need to follow or you will cause damage to the machine. In the photo below there are two set screws that must be loosened, first back the nut off the set screw, then back out the set screw (there are four total), two on each vertical post
after the set screws are backed out turn them back in until you just feel it touch very light, then tighten the nut on the set screw. The reason for this is the set screw has a small brass or bronze piece pressed into the set screw which rides against the polished surface of the column. The set screws are there to stabilize the table support from movement during shipping.
One think I did not like was in the photo below
These are called “Assembly Fixtures” they are cast iron collars that are mounted on 1/2” plywood Don’t bother using them. If you set them into the columns as told, when you lower the unit in drops to low to put the legs on and you will have to raise it up again to get the bolts to line up.
AND BY ALL MEANS DO NOT DISCONNECT WHAT EVER YOU ARE USING TO HOLD THE DRUM SANDER UP BY THE CARRIAGE ARM (TOP SUPPORT) until the legs are tightened and checked, I also checked a set screw on the bottom casting where the legs attach and got another half turn. The legs seem to be sturdy, I think they changed the casters and legs from earlier models

I used an engine dolly hoist to pick this up because it is 394 LBS net weight and I was alone so safety first. Even after I had the legs mounted I left the strap attached with a little tension on it until I had the feed table mounted

I noticed that when I mounted the feed table one corner was higher then the others
This gives me concern in that the table may be racked so I will make note of this when l do my final set up and testing the piece that I sand by measuring along all the surface of all four sides for true-ness. I had to go buy an plug so I could turn it on and see if it worked and found that the digital read out gauge requires a battery which I will have to go and find tomorrow when I make a trip to Wood Crafts to buy some finer grit paper. I also added some wire ties to secure the wires out of the way so far so good I like the machine. The feed is a little slow but I am not in a hurry and I feel the slower speed will give a better and more uniform finish. So here are some more pictures I took for posting. I will add a Part 2 for all the fine adjustment and how easy or hard it was. OH this was the only thing I broke, it came with the machine

Enjoy

View twokidsnosleep's profile

twokidsnosleep

Christmas comes early
Sweet unit

-- Scott "Some days you are the big dog, some days you are the fire hydrant"

sandhill

I have been wanting one for over a year and happy th have been able to get it.

View thelt's profile

thelt

618 posts in 2005 days

Very, Very jealous! Glad you were able to get it.

-- When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

Greetings sandhill,

It sounds like assembly was not too diffucult…...Piece of crap Chinese wrench they sent with it…
I’m wanting the one that has the enclosed stand and built-in casters, or built -in mobile base(?)
This looks like a well-built machine….. I will wait on your review, once you’ve got some time on it.
Thanks for posting. Some of these things are good to know….....How was the manual? Ok?

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

sandhill

The manual is ok I like that it gives you other information as well. Like how to change bearings and replace sand paper.

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

I’m curious where did you order this, how much did this bad boy cost?

sandhill

Steve I ordered it on Amazon $2188.00 for some reason it is listed at $2199.00 now. I ran a glue up with the factory installed paper 60 or 80 grit I believe and this puppy removes some wood! I went out and got 3 rolls of 120, 180 and 220 just to see how it preforms at each grit. The 220 is NOT for removing wood and only for finishing. The factory installed paper all ready started to loosen up after about a half hour of operation. I read somewhere here that someone installed hook and loop and got good results so I will research that. Right now I am going to have to do some fine adjustments to make the drum perfectly parallel to the conveyor belt.

View BernieMay's profile

BernieMay

I also have this machine and love it. I love running my cutting boards through it. Light passes and double passes are a must. It is so large and strong I am going to add storage cabinets below it, hanging from bolt holes in the main stem and supported on the cast iron legs.
-bernie

supertpr

just got mine yesterday and seems info on power requirement in manual is wrong?

supertpr

any opinion for or against pre cut or ready to cut rolls of paper? aside from price

supertpr

was your drum pretty far out of level when you where setting it up? mine seems way high on inboard side? huess I need to do entire set up procedure?

supertpr

last question is what cfm dust collection do you use? i need a new dust collector and don’t want to fall short as I think this will be the “dusty” machine

supertpr

last question for real this time. Dix you add a plug or hard wire your sander, mine has 3 wires no plug? figured I would add a plug since it’s portable?