First impressions of my new air cleaner

Review by lsemarc posted 1311 days ago 2632 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First impressions of my new air cleaner No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I thought for years that dust collection and air quality in the workshop wasn’t that important. After my grandfather passed away from lung cancer I decided that I should do something about protecting mine.
Without my wife knowing I went and picked one up and figured I had a couple of weeks before she noticed the charge on our account. Due to traveling I was unable to get it installed for about two weeks. The guilt about not telling her finally got to me and I told her what I did, surprisingly she was not upset (anthing to keep the dust down in the house gets her blessing). About 30 minutes after telling her she comes back into the kitchen with the mail and had opened up a card that was addressed to me, a card from Woodcraft thanking me for purchasing the aircleaner.
Getting the unit unboxed and hung on the ceiling (with her help) took about 30 minutes. The unit is heavy so I definitely recommend two people. I turned it on high thinking it would be loud but was surprised at how quiet it is. I gave it a quick test by creating some dust on my tablesaw with the dust collector off and was amazed at how fast it sucked the offending particles of plywood up and out of the air. The remote control feature is great, nice to keep the remote close to where I am working and turn it on when needed. I also love the timer, really nice to set it for an hour or two when you are done to help get the crud out of the air.
My workshop is in the basement of our house right below the living room, we have hardwood floors so nothing to absorb any nosie that it would create and she has never complained when it is running. I honestly cannot tell it is running when I am in the living room.
I have noticed that the amount of dust on things the next day is very minimal. I have not used it enough to have to clean the filters yet.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase (had a hard time buying something that isn’t considered a tool).
Marc

View lsemarc's profile

lsemarc

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

+1 Very good unit. quiet as a mouse. does a great job cleaning the air

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

Greetings Marc, I can tell you this….you’re gonna really like that air cleaner…..I’ve had the same cleaner hanging in my shop for about 2 years, and it’s stellar. I like everything about it….I’ve cleaned the filters once, and they really
weren’t bad at the time…..Good thing you told the wife….If she’s like mine (33 years married), she’ll love you anyway for spending that $ and putting it to good use…...Now make her a nice piece of furniture for the house, take her to supper, and all is forgiven, I’ll bet…... Enjoy the cleaner…..I sure do…..Good review….

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

View dbhost's profile (online now)

Any drawbacks to the machine that you have noted so far? I had considered the JDS before ordering my Grizzly.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View lsemarc's profile

lsemarc

I haven’t found anything that I don’t like yet. I do most of my research online since the nearest Woodcraft or Rockler stores are over 2 1/2 hours away. I usually only get one chance to buy a tool so I have to choose wisely. One of the things that I took into account were the filters, I didn’t want to be spending lots of money later on.
Marc

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

158 posts in 2095 days

just as a general question on these types of machines, do you recommend placing it over where you work most of the time or off to the side? I’m wondering if it’s better to have it off on a side so the dusty air is pulled away from you rather than keeping it on top of you in case some of the finer stuff makes it through the filterss

Maybe I’m over thinking it… ;)
Thanks,
T.

View dbhost's profile (online now)

Tim,

Grizzly recommended that the machine be sort of off to the side, near the dust making machines, so that it could cause a circular breeze through the shop. Go to Grizzly’s website and download the manual for the G0572 and look on I believe it was page 9… Oh heck, read the contents, it will tell you about site selection…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Ayup. Got mine used, through Craigslist.

Thing’s a BEAST !

As to location, JDS isn’t all that fussy, in the manual, about where THEY recommend you put it.

Mine is … more or less … in the center of my shop—probably >8’ off the ground, between the two 4-way ceiling outlets, here:

It seemed like the perfect location, but … with the benefit of some experience … probably isn’t.

When using the table saw, for example, I am right between the saw and the JDS unit.

No point in pulling it all right past my face, on its way to be cleaned.

Typically, though, I wear my respirator, and then use the JDS to clean the air after I leave the shop—either for a break or for the day. My shop’s in the basement, so … I just bring the remote control upstairs, with me, and then turn the JDS off after a while.

Cheaper and easier than a timer, thinks me :-)

-- -- Neil

View Moron's profile

Moron

I sm sorry that your grandfather passed away and even worse when he passes away with lung cancer. Thats a tough way to die.

You barely have the box uncrated, air filter in the air, zero miles on it and you give it a 5 outof 5.

Y ?

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

the nice thing about the JDS is that it comes with an electorstatic filter -which is washable and reusable.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Tom Coster's profile

Tom Coster

I’m a newbie here on LJ and just getting back into woodworking so please forgive me if I ask silly questions. I am not familiar with these air filtering machines. Are they boxes with fans and a filter? Do they move massive amounts of air? Why not just build a box with filters in one end and pipe it to your DC? I’m sure that it wouldn’t be as nice as having a dedicated machine but wouldn’t a home built setup get the job done?
Sorry, so many questions.

-- Tom, MI, SC

View glassyeyes's profile

glassyeyes

I just installed one of these; it seems well made, and the noise level is tolerable. For some reason, the instruction page doesn’t bother telling you to OPEN THE END WITH THE BLUE EXHAUST FILTER AND REMOVE THE PACKING BLOCKS. I thought something was wrong with it, until I paid attention to the tag hanging on the power cord. And contrary to the numerous complaints I’ve seen about packaging on some, especially the JET, it seemed fairly well packaged for shipment (and another good argument for buying one of these puppies locally!).

TOM, I thought about cobbling together one of these, but it came down to guessing which large high-grade filter would be best paired with which squirrel-cage blower—AND the convenience of a remote control and timer. Plus, the JDS includes a washable pre-filter, eliminating the cost of throw-aways. Jet wants over $50 extra for a washable pre-filter, making the units almost identical in cost.

My wife didn’t turn a hair—she said if it would keep the dust out of her (?) house, I was welcome to it.

-- Now, where did I put those bandaids?