Affordable but top notch turning tool

Review by mckenziedrums posted 1448 days ago 3186 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Affordable but top notch turning tool No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m a relative newbie to all things turning… and while I haven’t ventured very far out of the pen turning thing yet I know well enough to try and make sure I have the right tools around for the job. As with most folks I grabbed one of the cheapie kits of turning tools when I started and while those work well enough when you keep the sharp I wanted to get a more substantial skew that I could use for other projects and that would hold it’s edge better. I debated on whether to go this route because I’ve had such a great experience with the Easy Turner CI2 rougher that I figured I might just get the finisher… But I decided it’s always a good idea to have a skew chisel around that you can have as a go to.

I purchased mine on Amazon for less than $50 and it came sharp and ready to turn. I’ve used it on some spalted mango, norfolk pine, and some other woods that can be challenging and it’s been terrific. Took it to the wet stone and put and edge back on with no problem and it’s held the edge considerably longer than my HSS beginner tools.

I’m still going to pick up a carbide tool because to me it’s silly not to have one but I know this one was a wise investment. Quality is top shelf and the metal definitely seems to hold it’s edge better than most HSS tools I’ve used.

View mckenziedrums's profile

mckenziedrums

View AustininKC's profile

AustininKC

Crown tools are excellent, and not badly priced. I’ve used them for several years and have nothing but good to say about them, you’ll be happy with that skew.

Austin

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1905 days

I find a use for the cheap tools I find to make beaders, thread chasers…and scrapers (you can make several very nice profiles from these).

Crown is a very well made tool and not overly priced….especially for tools made somewhere with some good QC and not in cheap sweatshops by unskilled/untrained workers. I have several Crown gouges and skews and have never had one fail due to metal stress or fatigue….I have had the cheap tools come apart, chip and bend considerably and I never would recommend them to anyone (of course the cheapos I have are modified significantly – I still believe the failures were due to junk metal/poor design and not due to the customization that I did).

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

Austin:
I have a lot of Crown turning tools and they have all served me well. Some of them are the PM and others are the HSS. I can not see much difference in the Crown HSS and PM. Perhaps that is me. Also, not all HSS tools are created equal if you buy Crown, Sorby, Henry Taylor and other Sheffield Steel tools you will never regret it. They are quality tools that are not over the top expensive. There are more expensive tools out there but unless you turn for a living I would stick with the Sheffield Steel tools.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker