Triton: Works and definitely worth the money - though can be hard to find.

Review by Elizabeth posted 09-11-2010 10:03 PM 2300 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton: Works and definitely worth the money - though can be hard to find. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had read about various enclosed-air systems while setting up my shop. I knew I wanted one because I haven’t yet got a proper dust collection system in place and didn’t want to wait to do anything until I had one.

I liked the look of the Triton Tools Power Respirator and read some positive reviews so I decided to get one. That was easier said than done. Many reviews are a few years old and the companies mentioned in them no longer sell the unit. One place I saw online has it listed as available at the end of the month (at that time it was July) and I placed an order – then I got an email telling me that they’d been waiting for 18 months so far and didn’t know when it would actually be in stock.

I emailed back and canceled my order.

I eventually found a listing for it at Lowes.com – item number 20978. They offered it for $229 and could deliver it to my local store, which is what I did. It took a little over a week to get it in.

I hadn’t had a chance to use it much until this weekend. Yesterday and today I’ve been using it while turning pens and I am really pleased with it. I have a clean air supply and don’t have to worry about wood chips in the face. I was startled after my first pen when I took the helmet off and saw streaks of padauk dust all over the face mask – that stuff would have been in my lungs otherwise.

The only problem I have had is with the ratcheting system which sizes the helmet to your head. It was very loose and wouldn’t keep its position when I first got it. However, there is a screw in the center of the dial and I tried tightening it a bit. It’s better now and has not come loose while I’ve worn it but I think if I tugged on it too hard while putting the helmet on it might loosen by a couple of notches. Not a big deal and it may just be a problem with my unit and not the overall design.

I haven’t found the helmet too heavy, as some have commented. The belt pack is a little bit awkward sometimes but once I am working I don’t really notice it. The attached ear protection works well as far as I can tell – I haven’t got any really noisy machines yet though. Based on what I can and can’t hear with the radio playing I’d say they are not as effective as some other really good separate ear protection might be…but also they’re integrated really well into the dust system, which you can’t get anywhere else. I’ll probably get some other ear protection as well for when I’m working with the planer or other loud tools that aren’t directly in my face.

I’d definitely recommend getting one if you have any concerns about dust getting into your face and lungs.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#1 posted 09-11-2010 10:18 PM

Interesting. I’ve considered getting one of these units, it seems like the best option for eye and lung safety, but I’m not sure how I’d feel about having to wear a helmet and face shield all the time I’m in the shop.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

#2 posted 09-11-2010 10:23 PM

thank´s for the rewiew Elisabeth
you can always add the small formplugs into your ear if you think you havn´t enoff earprotection
but you can´t realy judge that infront of the radio the protection shuold be develobed for laud
sharp noise like from maschines or gunshots it has something to do with the freeqkvens the sound make

take care

#3 posted 09-11-2010 10:24 PM

Manitario – It’ll depend on you and your shop, but I think it’s worth it. I tended to flip up the faceplate if I was stepping away from the lathe to get something, and it was easy to pop everything off and put it down when it came time for pen assembly.

A bit of momentary inconvenience, perhaps, but it means that if I sneeze later on today it’s not from having bamboo and padauk in my nose. I’ll take that tradeoff.

Dennis – yeah, I have a couple of foam earplugs I can pop in as well if I find the louder machines are a problem and don’t want to get another set of ear protection.

View Don "Dances with Wood" Butler's profile

Don "Dances with Wood" Butler

#4 posted 09-11-2010 10:30 PM

I have a Triton helmet and Ilike it a lot, especially when using a router free handedly. Sometimes I have to be right where the chips are come at me and its great to be immune to their attack! ;-)
However, i don’t wear it all the time. There’s a pretty good cylclone DC on the wall for the biggest chip makers, table saw, band saw, Legacy mill and CarveWright machine. For other ones they’re served by small shop vacs, which move a remarkable amount of air.
But the Triton is my friend when the chips are down, so to speak!

dhb

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist's profile

Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist

5279 posts in 2062 days

#5 posted 09-12-2010 09:26 PM

A respirator is an extremely valuable piece of shop equipment for your lungs. I have the Trend airshield pro and I use it very often. I do alot of wood gringing and my face it almost always up near the work. Whether it is a Trend or a Triton… the fact is that it is a lung saver. My dust collection system and air filter system do a great job but can’t get that dust from gringing when it is thrown in all directions. Best money i ever spent for my lung health.

-- Each step of every Wood Art project I design and build is considered my masterpiece… because I want the finished product to reflect the quality and creativeness of my work

View wyeth's profile

wyeth

135 posts in 1981 days

#6 posted 09-13-2010 05:18 AM

Yes – I have one too and am happy with it.Triton went into receivership a while back but are getting back into production however I dont know if all their items are going to be continued. I got mine on Ebay and am not sure if replacement face shields batteries or air filters are going to be available when needed.
Carba-Tec are going to be the Triton agents here in Australia I believe.I got a Triton router through them recently. Does anyone else know if the respirator is back on the market here?

-- David Australia

#7 posted 09-13-2010 05:25 AM

David, http://www.airwareamerica.com/ here in the US offer replacement parts, if you can’t find anywhere more local. At least they say they do – they are the ones who said they would be getting the units in late July when I visited their site in mid-July, and then it turned out they had no idea when to expect them. I see now they say the units will be there in late September…

View wyeth's profile

wyeth

135 posts in 1981 days

#8 posted 09-13-2010 06:30 AM

Thanks Elizabeth – I will keep them bookmarked in case of future need

-- David Australia

#9 posted 09-15-2011 06:16 PM

Update on my review. I still love this respirator, but the battery has been losing its power. Probably due to my forgetting to unplug it after charging – for about two weeks. (Oops.) I want to get replacement batteries but have not yet found a source. But everything else on it has been really great and worth the money.

#10 posted 09-15-2011 06:30 PM

can´t you just replace the battery with a bunch of connected D-cells
other have done that on 12 -14,4 Volt handdrills …. just a thought
depending on what type the battery is you can sparkel new life in them
if its the old type

by the way isn´t your charger an electronic type that shuold shot of when the battery is fully charged

#11 posted 09-15-2011 06:40 PM

The Triton chargers/batteries don’t auto shut off when they’re done, which is stupid and annoying. And I may try to replace the battery; I’m not great at that sort of thing but may try to find a reference from someone else doing it.

#12 posted 09-15-2011 08:16 PM

I can´t help you there since the only thing I have heart about itis here on L J
havn´t done it myself yet but I have a boschdrill that need new blod :-)
but its the old batterypack and we can´t get them and the new design just don´t fit :-(
so I have to cut the case open and use a little epoxy when closing ... shuold be easy enoff …
yah right with my luck its proppebly turn out into a disastre …. LOL