Believe The Hype!

Review by Ryan Brown posted 09-10-2010 04:39 PM 6812 views 7 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Believe The Hype! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The Wood Slicer bandsaw blades from Highland Woodworking are awesome.

When I first purchased my “Rikon 14 deluxe bandsaw my local Woodcraft store said that the 1/2” blade that came with it was pretty good. I took their advice on that, and also purchased a 3/4” 3TPI Timber Wolf blade for resawing. Both seemed to work, but my results were so-so.

For the first real challenge I resawed some green cherry logs for turning blanks. I started with the blade that came with the saw. Meh. It really felt like I had to give the wood a lot of pressure to get the blade to cut, which meant I was putting a lot of pressure on the guides and blade. The cuts were slow and uneven. A lot of dust was captures on the inside of the blade, resulting in a lot of scraping the hardened dust off of the blade and wheels. I took that blade off and decided it was only worthy for cutting up re-purposing.

The Timber Wolf blade definitely cut better, but I still felt like I had to push the wood too hard to get it to cut. I’d even tried changing blade speeds to see if that would help. It didn’t. I noticed that this blade also caught a lot of the shavings/dust and it was a pain to clean the wheels and blade up afterward. Even cutting cross-grain or with the grain I’m not impressed with it.

Which brings me to the Wood Slicer bandsaw blade from Highland Woodworking. I bought a 1/2” blade on the advice of one of the store reps and mounted it on my bandsaw. It easily sliced through dry 6” thick red oak. Walnut, no problem. I use Renaissance Wax on my cast iron to make the wood glide across the top, and with this blade, there was barely any resistance at all from the blade. Even with faster feed rates in hard woods it cuts like a hot knife through butter! I was also very surprised at how much quieter the blade is compared to the stock blade and the Timber Wolf.

The finish of the cuts were also very, very smooth. Although not recommended for cutting green wood, I decided to cut up some greeen cherry logs into bowl blanks just to see how it compared. The blade cut through 8” thick cherry like it was only 1/2” thick. It was still very quiet compared to the other blades, and there was no buildup of the green wood on the inside of the blade and on the tires.

Even though the Wood Slicer is marketed as a resaw blade, it also cuts cross grain very well. As far as I’m concerned, this is the only blade I’ll ever use. It’s quiet, inexpensive, sharp and it cuts so well it’s almost like the wood feeds itself through the blade. Here are the specs and details about the blade from Highland Woodworking.

“It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.” – Ferris Bueller

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem. Roanoke, VA

View Ryan Brown's profile

Ryan Brown

72 posts in 1913 days

View CampD's profile

CampD

#1 posted 09-10-2010 04:59 PM

Nice review, I have to order one .

-- Doug...

View swirt's profile

swirt

1949 posts in 1695 days

#2 posted 09-10-2010 05:18 PM

Nice review. I have the same wood slicer blade and similar results. Nice to have you compare it side by side with the TImberwolf as I have often wondered which was better. Now I know.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

#3 posted 09-10-2010 05:54 PM

Thanks – I will make it my next one based on this review….

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#4 posted 09-10-2010 06:01 PM

I have had exactly the same experience with the Highland Wood Slicers. They are top drawer.

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

1521 posts in 1918 days

#5 posted 09-10-2010 07:14 PM

I had one as well and absolutely loved it for everything. Cuts like butter I was able to resaw 8” cherry boards with ease and do crosscuts. The saw blade has since dulled and needed to be replaced. Due to time constraints(couldn’t wait to order it), I went to Woodcraft and picked up a low tension timberwolf blade for resawing some veneers. It definitely didn’t seem to cut as well as the woodslicer but was still very good. I plan on purchasing another woodslicer shortly. These blades are awesome!

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#6 posted 09-10-2010 08:03 PM

i love em!

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#7 posted 09-10-2010 11:09 PM

yup. it IS that good.

I only swap it when I need to do small radius cuts. otherwise it’s my all-purpose blade.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View brunob's profile

brunob

#8 posted 09-10-2010 11:21 PM

Ditto to all.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View cwdance1's profile

cwdance1

1143 posts in 1982 days

#9 posted 09-10-2010 11:59 PM

Thanks for that review as I was going to order the timber blades.

View Luke's profile

Luke

540 posts in 2017 days

#10 posted 09-11-2010 05:43 AM

Ditto. Own the same, very nice.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

253 posts in 1963 days

#11 posted 09-11-2010 10:33 AM

I have the same saw and blade, and have great results as well!

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#12 posted 09-12-2010 09:23 PM

I have the Wood Slicer bandsaw blade, 1/2” 3-4 tpi, and I’ll probably never use another makers blade. It does a wonderful job resawing. Thanks for the post/review!!!!!

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

#13 posted 09-14-2010 03:24 AM

Looks like most of us are in agreement. I’ll take the Wood Slicer over the Timberwolf as well.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View Doer's profile

Doer

#14 posted 09-14-2010 11:33 PM

I have a 1/2” Wood Slicer on my Powermatic 81 20” saw and it cuts Hard Rock Maple better than most blades cut white pine.

View Tdazzo's profile

Tdazzo

#15 posted 09-15-2010 09:30 PM

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking for a good resaw blade but I don’t have a lot of bandsaw experience (let alone re-sawing) so I wasn’t sure if I should have been happy with the blade I chose. Sounds pretty clear to me now.

-- "If you can't do something smart, do something right." -- Sheppard Book