Rikon 6" Jointer-Good buy if you can get it for the same price.

Review by Brian024 posted 09-10-2010 02:01 AM 6439 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rikon 6" Jointer-Good buy if you can get it for the same price. Rikon 6" Jointer-Good buy if you can get it for the same price. Rikon 6" Jointer-Good buy if you can get it for the same price. Click the pictures to enlarge them

After debating for a while on which jointer to get, I decided on this Rikon. This is the first jointer I have owned so I don’t have any other to compare but it is well built compared to the others I have used. When I bought it, Woodcraft had it on clearance for $299, the regular price was $450, I couldn’t pass it up.

It comes in 2 separate boxes, base/motor in one and the table/fence in the other, the total shipping weight was around 280 lb’s. The motor comes premounted in the base and is easy to access from the back after you take off the panel. The instruction book is easy to read and follow, the only problem is some of the pictures are dark and its tough to see what you are suppose to adjust. The table mounts really easy to the base, just be sure to have an extra par of hands to lift it up, it mounts with 3 bolts. 2 are easy to get to but the 3rd is in the dust chute which there is enough room to get to it, everything after that went smooth.

I did check to see if the tables and fence were flat and straight and mine were. The book explains how to adjust everything, which I didn’t have to do much as it seemed pretty close out of the box. On some descriptions I have read it says its a 1 hp motor, but it is a 1 1/2 hp, it comes pre wired for 120v but it dual rated to 240v which I plan to eventually do. Also includes a 4” dust port and a set of push paddles. Overall I’m very happy with this.

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 2049 days

#1 posted 09-10-2010 02:27 AM

What a deal! I keep looking for those clearance specials but haven’t got the timing down. I usually see them after I’ve bought a similar product. I’m sure this jointer will make a nice addition to your shop.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 09-10-2010 02:33 AM

congrats on the new tool. from my experience with Rikon tools, and Rikon in general, and looking at your pics, and description, this looks like a solid tool with a company to back it up. Enjoy your flat and square lumber!

That aside – I would be more interested to hear how it performs down the road as out of the box – they are mostly all about the same.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Woodbutcher3's profile

Woodbutcher3

#3 posted 09-10-2010 02:37 AM

Man, I am checking my local Woodcraft!

Nice grab

-- Rod ~ There's never enough time to finish a project, but there's always time to start another one.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#4 posted 09-10-2010 03:08 AM

That’s a steal at that price. I paid that much for a used R. awesome looking jointer.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 2063 days

#5 posted 09-10-2010 01:05 PM

Nice score Brian. I looked at that one when I was shopping for one in the spring.

You will enjoy shaping stock to get it flat and square. Opens up the door to using a lot of different woods.

Got planer?

#6 posted 09-10-2010 03:23 PM

The only place that Woocraft has them located, that I could find, is on the website.

I tried to get one shipped to the store to avoid paying the shipping but the warehouse didn’t bite, it shipped in about 3 days though. This will definitely get a lot of use because on most of my projects the majority of the finished parts are not more than 6” wide. It is also really quiet, I’ve got a Dewalt 735 planner and this is like night an day in noise level.

View bunkie's profile

bunkie

#7 posted 09-10-2010 04:34 PM

Aaaaahhh!!!!

It’s on sale right now for $150!!!

I couldn’t resist, I pulled the trigger. The shipping is $75. The total even with exhorbitant NY sales tax (they even taxed the shipping!) was under $250!

Damn, I wasn’t even planning on getting a new jointer, but that was simply too good to pass up!

Thanks, Creekwoodworker, for the very nice heads up, I greatly appreciate it!

-- Altruism is, ultimately, self-serving

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 2063 days

#8 posted 09-10-2010 06:13 PM

Woodcraft in Greensboro N.C. that I use a lot keeps one on display.

#9 posted 09-10-2010 06:26 PM

I just missed that to, oh well.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#10 posted 09-11-2010 01:25 AM

Man why did u have to go and post the link ;-) I couldn’t resist at 150. dang now I have 2 jointers.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#11 posted 09-11-2010 01:35 AM

I’m sure you’ll be happy with your Rikon jointer.

If it’s as good as my Rikon Bandsaw you’ll get plenty of good use from it.

View Crystalini's profile

Crystalini

#12 posted 09-12-2010 03:28 AM

Darn. Gone… Oh well, I’ll keep checking.

-- "You should have seen the size of the splinter!!"

#13 posted 02-24-2011 04:47 AM

Update: I thought I would post a “follow up” on this since its been almost 6 months since I bought it. So far I have had no big issues with it. I periodically have to check and adjust the fence back to square/90* but other than that and knicking the blades, there have been no issues. I don’t know if it still possible to get this model or not.