... and now I can't imagine drilling large holes without it

Review by John posted 1422 days ago 2165 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
... and now I can't imagine drilling large holes without it No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this a year or more ago and it sat on the shelf.

This past weekend I had to drill several 2” + holes with forstner bits which usually means lots of shallow cuts and smoke and heat. I just happened to notice this can on the shelf, which I had pretty much forgotten about.

This lube led to no smoke and I could take deeper “cuts” – e.g. 3/4” ply in maybe 4 plunges instead of 6-8 without.

I also had a lot of pocket holes to drill this weekend and I sprayed this every so often on the bit – whenever I did the holes definitely drilled faster.

It did leave a white film on the wood which sanded off easily. My pieces will be painted so I didn’t care much, but if I was staining, I would test a scrap piece to see if the lube interferes at all with the finish.

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View John's profile

John

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

That sounds like it might be worth trying. I had to drill 4 1-18 holes this weekend to make a cut out handle. My bit didn’t smoke but it got warm. That would probably save some wear and tear on your bits, IMHO.

View lew's profile

lew

JC, thanks for the review. I’ll have to try this stuff!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2007 days

They say it contains no silicone or oil.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I may give this a try.

However, let me suggest to all that nothing beats a really sharp Forstner bit and it is not that hard to sharpen your own bits. I would suggest that you use this product in addition to sharpening and not in lieu of sharpening.

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

sounds like you have been running to high of RPM’s for the bit size…

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

Where did you get it?

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school