... and now I can't imagine drilling large holes without it

Review by John posted 09-07-2010 03:24 PM 2269 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
... and now I can't imagine drilling large holes without it No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this a year or more ago and it sat on the shelf.

This past weekend I had to drill several 2” + holes with forstner bits which usually means lots of shallow cuts and smoke and heat. I just happened to notice this can on the shelf, which I had pretty much forgotten about.

This lube led to no smoke and I could take deeper “cuts” – e.g. 3/4” ply in maybe 4 plunges instead of 6-8 without.

I also had a lot of pocket holes to drill this weekend and I sprayed this every so often on the bit – whenever I did the holes definitely drilled faster.

It did leave a white film on the wood which sanded off easily. My pieces will be painted so I didn’t care much, but if I was staining, I would test a scrap piece to see if the lube interferes at all with the finish.

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

View John's profile

John

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#1 posted 09-07-2010 03:29 PM

That sounds like it might be worth trying. I had to drill 4 1-18 holes this weekend to make a cut out handle. My bit didn’t smoke but it got warm. That would probably save some wear and tear on your bits, IMHO.

View lew's profile

lew

#2 posted 09-07-2010 03:35 PM

JC, thanks for the review. I’ll have to try this stuff!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View araldite's profile

araldite

#3 posted 09-07-2010 11:59 PM

They say it contains no silicone or oil.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 09-08-2010 12:11 AM

I may give this a try.

However, let me suggest to all that nothing beats a really sharp Forstner bit and it is not that hard to sharpen your own bits. I would suggest that you use this product in addition to sharpening and not in lieu of sharpening.

View ken_c's profile

ken_c

269 posts in 1914 days

#5 posted 09-08-2010 05:17 PM

sounds like you have been running to high of RPM’s for the bit size…

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

#6 posted 09-09-2010 04:39 AM

Where did you get it?

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school