Old soldier

Review by sawblade1 posted 09-07-2010 05:15 AM 2900 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Old soldier Old soldier No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is why I trust Delta machinery :) I hope I am not coming off as a brand snob but this jointer is over 36 years old, AND STILL RUNNING ON THE ORIGINAL KNIVES TO BOOT!!!!!!
I picked this up this spring from a guy at work who was getting rid of his shop and moving into a condo for $100 and with only the cord needing replaced from dry rot and rust from being in the basement it performs like it did coming out of the box :) Adding to this Parts are still available along with the Owners manual and the parts are cheaper than for the new ones!!!! weighing in at 400 pounds it matches my bandsaws & tablesaws weight !!!
I think it was worthy of a review and a rating of five stars especially when the machine is older than me LOL !!!
If you happen to run upon one get it You can’t go wrong :) BTW having a 18”x48” footprint is an added plus in my small shop.

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

View deucefour's profile

deucefour

285 posts in 2007 days

#1 posted 09-07-2010 05:32 AM

I love old tools, great find, enjoy

Robert

-- "I gotta have more cowbell"--------Bruce Dickinson

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#2 posted 09-07-2010 01:20 PM

I’m with you Sawblade1. I have an old Delta Table Saw and even Older Rockwell Band Saw and I love them both. They just work and I don’t have to do much more than clear out the old sawdust occasionally. I like low-maintenance.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#3 posted 09-07-2010 01:35 PM

Those old machines just keep on running. Very nice and what a deal!!!

View GMman's profile

GMman

#4 posted 09-07-2010 02:02 PM

You did very well those old Delta tools last forever they are heavy that is a sigh of quality you will never see the end of it.
They are precise and won’t shake all over the place.

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

#5 posted 09-07-2010 02:51 PM

Great review!! Old is sometimes better then new.

Thanks for the review

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

#6 posted 09-07-2010 04:13 PM

I just bought an older model of this machine and the first thing I did after cleaning it up was to add a dust
collection port. The motor sets in that closed area and mine was so full of sawdust that it took quite a while
to clean it out. I imagine I will have to fine tune the dust collection set up, but anything is better than
nothing. Hope you have many happy hours of woodworking.

-- As ever, Gus-the 76 yr young apprentice carpenter

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

#7 posted 09-07-2010 04:46 PM

Nice find. I also have some older Delta tools and love them, unisaw and bandsaw. You might consider taking a look at the cutter head and motor bearings. Being that the jointer is over 36 years as you mentioned they are probably dry. One tell tale way is the amount of time it takes for the unit to stop running after shut off. If it seems to be a long time they are most likely dry. The bearings are very easy to change and are cheap insurance. The lifespan of the bearings is about 25 years. Let me rephrase that, the bearings will last a lot longer, its the grease inside the bearings that fails. Replacement can be picked up at any good bearing supply house and will be of better quality that direct Delta replacements.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#8 posted 09-08-2010 02:32 AM

Congrats on a nice find.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Swede's profile

Swede

#9 posted 09-10-2010 08:00 PM

What width is your joiner 4”, 6”, 8” or larger?

My father bought a Delta over 30 years ago and still runs like a champ.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust