300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base from Harbor Freight

Review by IrreverentJack posted 09-04-2010 09:20 PM 5394 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
 300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base from Harbor Freight  300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base from Harbor Freight  300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base from Harbor Freight Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is a very well made kit. Corners are welded and the finish is excellent. The wheels and levelers look to be more than adequate for the weight. All the pieces and hardware come sealed in plastic bags. The box is flimsy, so I wouldn’t advise buying it online, it might tear apart in shipping.

Assembly requires ripping some hardwood, cutting to lengths specified in the directions, drilling the holes and bolting it together. The directions say to drill only two holes on each end of the frame pieces. You’ll need to buy 6 more bolts and lock nuts to use all the holes on each corner, like in pic2 and pic3 . Count bolts and nuts before going to the hardware store, some of mine were missing from the sealed bag.

My contractor saw only needs to be moved once in a while. I wanted to be able to do it by myself without spending a lot of money or getting hurt. This can do that easily. If it had a caster and leveler on each corner (pic2) it would be outstanding -5 stars. On sale with a 20% off coupon it costs less than $30. Can’t make one for that.

This one is a keeper from Harbor Freight. -Jack

View cutmantom's profile

cutmantom

#1 posted 09-04-2010 09:48 PM

I have 2 of these but are of an older design, it has a single caster on a flip down lever, yours looks like a much better design, i used pine on one of them and it doesn’t work very well, hardwood is definitely recommended, I used oak on the second one, your suggestion of casters all around will probably be the next model they put out if they are smart, good idea

#2 posted 09-04-2010 10:25 PM

I have 2 of these, one under my HF Bandsaw, and the other under my drill press. The stock dimensions are a bit odd, 1.25” x 1.25” square stock required, but it is easy enough to rip down SYP 2×4 stock to create the parts needed. I have had them now for about 2 years, and they have worked flawlessly… These without a doubt, fall under the category of HF gems… I agree the 4 corner caster / leveler setup would be nicer, but it would also be a pain in the butt to level out, and take off the levelers to move…

#3 posted 09-05-2010 12:59 AM

Hey Guryl, I saw that post too, couldn’t tell if the complaint was of product or situation, but I can’t seem to find it now.

I ripped them snug from reclaimed oak and hit the sharp corners with a scraper. There’s a lot of clearance with the floor so you could rip them 1/4”-1/2” taller. I followed the directions closely -except for the extra bolts. You may want to play with the length of the frame pcs to have the base fit tighter to your machine.(Don’t forget about the bolt heads.) I put two thicknesses of inner tube under my legs and I don’t feel any slop there. I haven’t run the saw since I put it on the base but I have moved it around a bit and it rolls around OK. I’m sure it flexes more than a welded steel base, but it will be better than ‘good enough’ for a long time. -Jack

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#4 posted 09-05-2010 02:46 AM

Jack and shopguryl, are you perhaps thinking of this post by Purplev? It was on a Rockler mobile base kit, not ‘Harbor Freight”: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1601.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

#5 posted 09-05-2010 04:03 AM

I believe shopguryl was talking about Purplev’s post complaining about having to mill the lumber to size… It really is no big deal unless you are afraid to use your table saw…. But if you are, why would you be woodworking right?

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#6 posted 09-05-2010 04:11 AM

for less than $30 – I would consider it, but for full price, there are better options out there as I mentioned in my review of the rockler mobile base which looks very similar.

FWIW – I did round over all the edges. and yes – I AM afraid to use my table saw. in fact, I should probably get rid of it as it’s taking extra space. ;) peace.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#7 posted 09-05-2010 04:38 AM

That was the post I was thinking of Lenny. Purplev’s base has a 600# cap. and larger dia frame. Thicker wood and having the steel members out of square with holes misaligned would make assembly a drag.

I used a clamp only to locate the wood inside the channels to drill through it. Thankfully I didn’t have to bend things into alignment. While drilling those 5/16” holes through the frame, chasing the hole on the other side, I was trying out a new drill. I remember it as being kinda fun. -Jack

You’re right Purplev, more money and/or more time to assemble makes these bases less of a deal. If you have a rougher floor, a heavier machine or need to move it more often you should consider other options too. -Jack

#8 posted 09-06-2010 04:34 AM

These are certainly NOT for somebody that wants an out of box ready to go base, nor are they for those with rough floors etc… But for those looking at a light duty mobile base, they are inexpensive, and very functional. Like I mentioned, I have mine on my Band Saw, and my drill press. I would NOT use one of these for my lathe, or a cast iron or granite topped table saw as those tools would give this little base a hernia…

These bases go on sale fairly regularly for $29.99, and combine that with the 20% off coupons, you are looking at a $23.99 + lumber and time mobile base…

View dmorrison's profile

dmorrison

146 posts in 1928 days

#9 posted 09-07-2010 06:53 AM

I purchased the same unit for my 6 inch Jet jointer. Instead of hardwood I welded 1.25 inch square steel tubing to the assembly. Very solid and strong.

Dave

View DavidH's profile

DavidH

#10 posted 09-07-2010 08:33 AM

Thanks Jack, always good to know about the HF gyms, they have a few.

-- David - Houston, Texas. (http://www.justsquareenough.com/)

View Swede's profile

Swede

#11 posted 09-09-2010 09:06 PM

Interesting Review.
I may pick up one for my Band Saw.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View spamfilterman's profile

spamfilterman

#12 posted 11-30-2010 07:08 AM

I bought and assembled one of these recently and I agree with previous comments.

Definitely not for somebody who doesn’t want to be frustrated and annoyed with the assembly.
I got frustrated, annoyed, irritated, etc… so then of course I got clumsy and cut myself twice. Not the product’s fault, just my lack of patience trying to get the stupid bolt holes lined up.

Now that it’s assembled, I like it. It does exactly what I wanted it to do. But, next time I would pay more for a less irritating product.