A useful tool for the small shop

Review by grosa posted 09-04-2010 08:54 AM 4239 views 0 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A useful tool for the small shop No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Inverted pin routers. This machine is amazing. You can use bits from 3/16” diameter all the way through 3/4” diameter. You can use router bits on it and you can cut in three different depth settings. You can change the rpm’s and you can cut a variety of different thicknesses. It is a machine that is all steel with superb welds. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to run it and you can start making money with it the first day. It has a 36” throat capacity and a 10 hp motor so power isn’t an issue. The people at CR Onsrud are very knowable about there products. Customer service is impeccable. If you bought a new machine or a used machine, they don’t care. There only concern is that the machine is working properly and the you are happy with it. there web site is http://cronsrud.com Click on inverted routers then watch the video. Rite away you can see how useful it would be in a small shop. And NO I do not work there and I do not own stock in the company. I just like there machinery and there customer service is unbelievably good. You don’t find that in company’s any more. I have been dealing with this company for a long time, That must tell you something rite there. If you have any questions about there tools call them and ask for ” SAM”.

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#1 posted 09-04-2010 12:05 PM

I could not see video, a I only have dial-up. I’m glad you got a tool you are happy about. what will you be using it for? What will you be making? How would home-shop folks put this to use?

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

#2 posted 09-04-2010 04:14 PM

Michelletwo, This machine runs in 3phz power so at home you would need an electric converter. This tool is grate for flat stock component parts. Allot of the projects pix that I have posted parts were made with this tool. All the fret work, pond bridge and many others. If you see the machine working you would see it would be a time saver. Before I had my shop I used this tool in my garage on a converter for 3 yrs. I personally would not be without one. They are a little pricey but, if you do wood working for a living it is a valuable as a table saw is to wood working. If you make odd shape parts and you make allot of them this tool would be very fast and accurate. I can cut one of my fret brackets in under 3 seconds. Once you make a template they all come out the same. The first one will be exactly the same as the 10,000th piece.

View Howie's profile

Howie

#3 posted 09-05-2010 02:08 AM

Why would this have a 10hp motor?

-- Life is good.

#4 posted 09-05-2010 05:17 AM

It has a 10 hp motor so you can put a 1/2” up spiral bit and cut through 1 1/2” maple in one pass in 3 or 4 seconds.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#5 posted 09-05-2010 02:11 PM

We haven’t had a pin router in the plant for a great many years because we make molding now. However, we did use the one we had to do a lot of things that would have been difficult without it. They are nice machines. BTW, they go fairly modestly at machinery auctions.

View RBWoodworker's profile

RBWoodworker

#6 posted 09-05-2010 06:35 PM

Hello!...I was very happy to see this posting because I just purchased one of these inverted pin routers off of Craigslist. I bought it because it was practically brand new and was being sold very cheap..and some of my other woodworking buddies convinced me I could really do a lot with it..so I did.. However..I have never used one before and have no clue really how to go about it..I have heard some horror stories about them and it does look intimidating..

I am currently doing a ton of work for a furniture designer who’s designs are of many angles and shapes and I keep racking my brain to see if somehow this new machine can simplify in the making of his designs..

Is there any books..or video’s outside of the one you posted that shows these machines in action? And can you give me any advise on the best way to use these machines? As well as safety proceedures and cautions?

Thank you kindly for posting..I sure did need to see this..its giving me hope in figureing out this machine..heh heh heh..

-- Randall Child http://www.racfurniture.com/

#7 posted 09-05-2010 07:26 PM

Hey Grosa
Thanks for the review. Interesting machine like all of you tools shown in your shop it’s a top notch piece of equipment. I’m sure this makes life a little easier for someone who does such impressive work as you do.

#8 posted 09-05-2010 09:25 PM

Thank you. RBWwoodworker, If you look at the video on http://onsrud.com you can get a good idea of how it works or contact the company. Ask for SAM and tell him Garcia sent you He will help you out.

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

870 posts in 2047 days

#9 posted 09-06-2010 08:02 PM

Grosa, can you post couple more project pictures of what have made with the router. I saw the spandrel, but rest seems to be scroll saw.

Steve.

#10 posted 09-07-2010 01:06 AM

Steve MI, Go to http://doorsandfret.com all of the fret work was done on my pin router.

#11 posted 10-02-2010 03:23 AM

Thank you a1 Jim.

View Metrotek's profile

Metrotek

#12 posted 03-01-2012 03:10 AM

This is the machine I used primarily to build the Toy Crane; it is a fascinating piece of equipment. I was able to make that machine do about anything with templates, jigs, and fixtures. I even cut circles and rings with it. It has such a powerful motor because it is commonly used in production furniture factories.

-- “Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

#13 posted 08-10-2012 01:48 AM

I use it for an endless number of things.