Very good inexpensive 12" disc sander on sale

Review by Toolz posted 09-03-2010 12:39 PM 8681 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very good inexpensive 12" disc sander on sale No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I reviewed this online and purchased it at my local Harbor Freight yesterday. I cut splines a little proud when making boxes and this sander is ideal for sanding the sides of the boxes smooth before moving on to a ROS and finish sanders. I set it up and used it on two boxes yesterday and it was a good price vs. utility decision. The original price was $129.99 on sale for $119.99 and with a 20 o/o coupon final price was $ 95.99 before taxes. I would give it 4 1/2 stars rather than 5 because the table is a little rough but I plan to smooth it with wet/dry sandpaper. It has a 2” dust collection port that work pretty good also. The 1 1/4 HP motor is more than adequate. Description of Central Machinery 43468 (From the Harbor Freight website) http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-direct-drive-bench-top-disc-sander-43468.html

• 1-1/4 HP motor
  • Cast aluminum table and disc guard
  • Motor: 120V, 22.7 amps (start), 1.25 HP, 1750 RPM
  • Table tilts 0°-30° and 0°-50° in 10° increments
  • Miter gauge adjusts from 30° – 90° L/R in 1° increments
  • vacuum port: 2.802
  • Table size: 16-3/8” L x 6-7/8” W
  • Table height: 7-5/8” from base

Overall dimensions: 19-5/8” x 16-3/8” x 14-5/8”

-- Larry "Work like a Captain but Play like a Pirate!"

View Toolz's profile

Toolz

View rsmith71's profile

rsmith71

#1 posted 09-05-2010 02:06 AM

Good Sander. I picked it up several weeks ago for my shop and have been impressed with it. Plenty of power and although the table could be smoother, it feels pretty sturdy. Easy to get square to the disc also.

-- Robert - Haven Wood Crafts

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2058 days

#2 posted 09-05-2010 03:50 AM

I almost bought one myself a few months ago, they sure look like a good value. Instead I was able to find a used 220 volt 2 horse 12” disk sander on CL for $50.00. If that 220 unit hadn’t happened along I would be owning the above HF sander.

5387 posts in 1987 days

#3 posted 09-06-2010 04:30 AM

Looks like a good sander, Not sure how often I would use a disk sander though….

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View rsmith71's profile

rsmith71

#4 posted 09-07-2010 01:17 AM

This is one of those tools that before you get it you wonder if you really need it or would use it much. Then you get it and find yourself using it a lot more than you thought you would until you get to the point where you wonder how you survived without it.

-- Robert - Haven Wood Crafts

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#5 posted 09-07-2010 01:31 AM

I like that little horizontal belt disc sander that Lowes sells(can;t remember the manufacturer). I look at it it every time I go in there. The price seems pretty good but that looks like a nice little sander too.

View GabrielX's profile

GabrielX

#6 posted 09-10-2010 08:54 PM

I bought my disc/beltsander at HFT. They have some good deals… Not always the best quality, but great stuff in a pinch.

-- GX

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 2058 days

#7 posted 09-18-2010 03:25 AM

I sure do agree with that statement, My 12” disk sander has become a real “go to” tool.

View Dustmite97's profile

Dustmite97

430 posts in 1975 days

#8 posted 12-11-2010 04:59 AM

Looks like a good one. It also looks alot like the Craftex one that I have. These sanders are really usefull.

View Scott Shea's profile

Scott Shea

#9 posted 03-11-2013 07:24 PM

I keep seeing this and I keep reading good reviews. I have avoided anything electrical from HF, but I might go ahead and pull the trigger on this one. Thanks for the review!

-- I make sawdust. I think thats a fair assessment of my finished products!

View Scott Shea's profile

Scott Shea

#10 posted 03-30-2014 03:27 AM

Just an update to my previous post. I pulled the trigger and purchased one of these and I love it. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. It makes a lot of sawdust!
Your review helped with deciding to get this. Thank you for the review, and I am happy with mine!

-- I make sawdust. I think thats a fair assessment of my finished products!