Milescraft Sign Crafter

Review by kosta posted 1425 days ago 3865 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Milescraft Sign Crafter Milescraft Sign Crafter No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Yo whats up everybody here is a review of the the Milescraft sign crafter. I have had the sign crafter for about 7 weeks and it works great. I did a video on the milescraft sign crafter in Episode 76 MIlescraft Sign Crafter. Its basically a jig that you use to cut signs with your router. You can cut signs up to 36 in long. Its important that the surface your router bit is referencing off of doesnt move or your not going to get an accurate cut. Once you clamp everything down the sign crafter doesnt move at all. The sign crafter comes with everything you need to make a sign with your router. I have cut a ravens sign and right now I am working on a sign for a local firehouse. You can buy the sign crafter at milescraft for $39.99 ”:http://http://milescraft.com/product/1206.html

Here is the episode I did on the sign crafter.

Episode 76 Milescraft Sign Crafter from kostas workshop on Vimeo.

In this episode I set up demo and review the milescraft sign crafter. The sign crafter includes everything you need to make a sign. I cut a Baltimore Ravens sign and it turned out looking pretty good. I am a New York Giants fan but I am making this sign for a friend. This week I started working on a sign for a local firehouse.

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/

jim C

Nice video, thanks.

View woodcrafter47's profile

woodcrafter47

Nice video, What did sign look like when you finished. Thanks for posting.

-- In His service ,Richard

View Toolz's profile

Toolz

Nice Job Kosta ;-)

-- Larry "Work like a Captain but Play like a Pirate!"

View CovenantCreations's profile

CovenantCreations

I tried it too. The red plastic bushings were a joke.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

I have it too and hardly use it. The problem I have with it is what they give you to clamp it to the piece of wood you are carving. Whenever I used it I always had to figure out a way to screw it down.

Definitely not 5 stars, maybe 3?

View Raymond's profile

Raymond

I have the same gizmo, and have had some good luck with it. You just have to be creative in how you secure it to your work piece.

-- Ray

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

Hey Kosta
Great review you did , very professional . Thanks for taking the time out to put this together .

View Jesse 's profile

Jesse

Ravens?! Two stars until I see a Stealer’s sign. lol

View GBS's profile

GBS

I agree – I have this Milescraft gizmo and it does get the job done. But, I have always, always had to screw the setup to an oversize workpiece to get it to stay put. The clamp screws are pretty tiny and they don’t do a great job of pinching the workpiece to hold all the letters in place.

View HalDougherty's profile

HalDougherty

The clamp screws don’t hold the rails to the workpiece, the red plastic bushings don’t give solid support and if you push the least against them they rub, melt and you’ll screw them up, screw up the letter you are cutting and the board you are caving… Guess how I know that? What I did to get a good sign using this product was to set up like the instructions describe, take a pencil and outline the letters, get the junk off my board and carve freehand with my router following the pencil lines that were drawn on the work piece. It’s just as easy to print out your lettering (I reverse the artwork using photoshop) on my ink jet printer and use an iron to transfer the image to the wood for carving. It’s much quicker, doesn’t cost anything and I’m not out what ever the junk jig cost. What would I rate this product? Not much. I also have their router circle cutter and edge guide. This device works much better.

-- Hal, Tennessee http://www.first285.com

View kosta's profile

kosta

946 posts in 1953 days

I see what you are saying about the clamps screws. The sign crafter that I have is the newer model. Apparently they made some changes from the old one cause I didn’t have most of these kind of problems when I was using it.

-- kosta Virginia Beach, VA http://www.kostasworkshop.blogspot.com/