Turns All Your Nail Guns Almost Cordless

Review by Thuan posted 02-29-2008 07:27 AM 20237 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Turns All Your Nail Guns Almost Cordless No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I realized that my air compressor was too big and noisy for the little amount of time I use it, so I traded it in for a new systems that works very well for the the little work shops. Lowes’ came up up with this neat CO2 regulator that powers most pneumatic nailers. This unit with the 20 oz CO2 canister can shoot 600 16 gauge brads or 1200 pins. This is the same system that paint ball guns use, so refills and extra tanks are readily available. The kit cost around $100 at Lowe’s and is worth every penny if you don’t use the gun that often or if you do cabinet installation jobs. The refills are about $10 each, so it’s quite affordable for a gizmo that turns all your nail guns cordless, is very quiet to use and takes up very little room. What’s more important is that it there’s no water vapor in the system so the nail gun lasts longer. The problem I do have with the unit is that if there is even a little leak anywhere along the line or the gasket in your gun, then you can easily loose the entire canister of CO2 in a matter of minutes and then have to go get a refill. So I try to have a spare refill canister with me, after losing three tanks, I learned to work around these problems by turning off the valve. Still, pretty good trade off to be able to use gun when ever with out having to lug around the compressor, and looking for an outlet

Even though this will never replace the air compressor, it extremely useful and efficient in many places especially if you do house calls or minor repair work. I would give it a five if they built a quicker shut off valve instead of the screw valve.

-- Thuan

View Thuan's profile

Thuan

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#1 posted 02-29-2008 08:09 AM

That is an interesting find Thuan. It’s not something that I need right now, as I have a couple of Pasload cordless nailers right now and some compressors in the shop. I do appreciate knowing that this is another option though – good review.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

#2 posted 02-29-2008 12:43 PM

I have been looking at this for some time now. I wish Lowe’s had come out with this while I was remodeling the main floor of the house (hardwood flooring, new base, chair, crown in all the rooms). It sure beats dragging a compressor from room to room and having an air line dragging on the gun when trying to install crown.

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#3 posted 02-29-2008 01:11 PM

what a great idea. The $10 for a refill would make me question the purchase but then I think of the number of times I wanted to use the air gun but it was too much work to get the big tank out and get it ready….... for those quick and short tasks, it does seem like a great buy

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Dadoo's profile

Dadoo

#4 posted 02-29-2008 06:24 PM

I thought dragging a portable air tank around was inventive but this little guy clips to your belt! Definately on my wish list.

-- Bob Vila would be so proud of you!

View Bill's profile

Bill

#5 posted 02-29-2008 06:45 PM

Too bad they do not make refillable canisters, ones that you could fill yourself from your own compressor. That would be really great.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View Loren's profile

Loren

#6 posted 06-01-2008 08:42 PM

When I was doing cabinet installations I was always embarrassed
by the noise of my compressor if the client was around.

I didn’t want to invest in cordless guns because I really
liked the ones I had and couldn’t see buying cordless for
the truck and leaving the air nailers in the shop.

I’m moving across the country and I am keeping my nailers
but on the fence about the compressors. Maybe this
is a good option.

-- http://lawoodworking.com

View Tim_456's profile

Tim_456

#7 posted 07-22-2008 07:28 PM

I have this system and for the most part it works ok. I’ve had trouble with the regulator and the gauge. If you don’t have the tank seated very tightly the gauge will go from 0lbs to red line as the tank wobbles in the housing. Also, I found that I didn’t get nearly the number of nails out of it that they advertise. Plus I didn’t really like having to pay to refill the cartriges. All in all I gave this three stars. I did, however, get a bit frustrated with it and bought a 5 gallon tank from Sears for $25.00, added some valves and fittings and made my own portable, re-fillable tank for about $35.00. With 5 gallons at 130lbs I run out of work before air and refills are easy from my compressor. The 5 gallon tank is very portable and handles all my jobs in the house.

View Greg Wurst's profile

Greg Wurst

#8 posted 07-22-2008 08:51 PM

You can buy kits off eBay that will allow you to refill the CO2 canisters:

-- You're a unique and special person, just like everyone else.

View woodspar's profile

woodspar

#9 posted 07-22-2008 09:24 PM

I did not know about these. Thanks for your review.

-- John

View SteveKorz's profile

SteveKorz

#10 posted 07-22-2008 09:49 PM

I had no idea these existed… cooool

Thanks

-- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17) †

View brunob's profile

brunob

#11 posted 07-22-2008 11:45 PM

I think I’ll give these a second look.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.