General International 10-105M1 1.5 hp Dust Collector

Review by Manitario posted 1467 days ago 5864 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
General International 10-105M1 1.5 hp Dust Collector General International 10-105M1 1.5 hp Dust Collector No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this dust collector a few weeks ago after much research into dust collection units. Ideally, I’d loved to have been able to afford the cost (in money and shop space) of a cyclone dust collector, but it wouldn’t have fit into my budget or 13×22’ garage. Initially I was interested in the Delta 50-760 after reading some good reviews, however the owner of the local tool store convinced me that the General was a better unit from what he’d heard from his customers. The unit came in one large box. The instructions were very clear, and it took me less than 1h to set it up. It came wired for 110V although has somewhat complicated instructions on switching the wiring for 220V if I ever want to.
Air movement is listed as 1100CFM. I also bought a Samona 1 micron canister for $90 which fits nicely onto the dust collector as the collector only came with a 30 micron bag, which from what I’ve read is useless as the majority of the “bad” dust is the less than 5 micron size. So far I have used it on my mitre saw and with my table saw. Dust collection on both is about 80%, which is of course 80% better than what it used to be, but not perfect. The machines are connected via ~9’ runs of 4” plastic tubing (as an aside; the collector inlet is 6” but the Y adaptor is 4”; this seems to be standard on most smaller DC, which doesn’t make sense, why choke off the flow right from the start?). I would have loved to use 6” tubing, but had trouble finding any from my regular tool stores, will have to think about upgrading in the future. Overall, this is an ok DC; it was easy to set up and seems to collect dust well: I think that some further tweaking for my TS and mitre saw I could get the dust collection up to 90%. Cons is that it only came with a 30 micron bag so I had to upgrade.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

View ARTbyGUNTHER's profile

ARTbyGUNTHER

Sounds like a good DC. Thanks for the great review!

-- Gunther, Marietta GA -- So many worlds, so much to do, so little done, such things to be. -Alfred, Lord Tennyson

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

Thanks for the review, might be one of those in my future too. After just completing a couple of sawhorses using mostly the CMS and TS with dado blade, I’m done with the shop vac solution!

-- Smitty

”the majority of the “bad” dust is the <5micron> tubing, but had trouble finding any from my regular tool stores, will have to think about upgrading in the future” ??? I think something is missing here.
And the price you paid was ? Plus the cannister, $90 . How much is the Delta and how did they compare feature for feature ?
While checking this machine out using 3 different sites , they all claim that it comes with 2 micron bags as standard equipment since 2006 . How old is the machine that you bought ?

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

thanks Dusty56; you’re right, that didn’t make any sense.
I paid ~$400 for the DC and then another $90 for the canister.
The Delta lists for ~$450; it comes with a 1 micron filter bag, it is listed as 1200CFM, whereas the General is 1100CFM. What convinced me to go with the General as opposed to the Delta is the toolshop owner where I bought the DC who said that his customer feedback had been quite negative for the Delta. As they seemed pretty comparable on paper I was happy to go with the General.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

The unit looks suspiciously like my Harbor Freight DC that lists at 1550 CFM w/ a 5 micron bag.

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2098 posts in 2364 days

Well, I love my Delta, but everyone’s opinions will differ. As for Dust Collectors, I think people tend to make things more complicated than it is. It is basically a motor, that spins and impeller, forcing air through a filter. You match up those 3 components and you’ve got a dust collector. Lately, is seems like it has become popular to “build your own” by marrying a HF DC with an aftermarket filter. This sounds similar to what you did.

View StephenSC's profile

StephenSC

Has anybody tried putting the motor only on a wheeled cart with a short hose, and sending the dust through a 4 in line to the bags outside? That way you wouldn’t care how good the bags were, until the whole side of your house was dusty. I don’t know if this would work, probably too much restriction between motor and bags

-- Stephen, Riverside. If it's worth building, it's worth making it real heavy.

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2098 posts in 2364 days

blowing outside has issues that many aren’t willing to deal with.
1) it removes you heated or cooled air
2) neighbors may not appreciate the dust
3) neighbors may not appreciate the noise
4) it requires dedicated piping and a hole in the side of your workshop

A lot of people do take this approach though and I think it has worked well for them

View Dustmite97's profile

Dustmite97

Great review! It’s a good thing you didn’t use the 30 micron bag because when i used it, it was useless.

View Dustmite97's profile

Dustmite97

The funny thing is that the website says it comes with a 2 micron bag so I don’t know why it came with a 30 micron bag.