In search of thin kerf Rip blade

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 1429 days ago 3400 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
In search of thin kerf Rip blade In search of thin kerf Rip blade In search of thin kerf Rip blade Click the pictures to enlarge them

I already own what I and many consider the best ripping saw blade in industry (( http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/976 )) but there is one disadvantage with using that, the kerf is THICK. so although that’s my go to blade when I need to put a perfect edge on a long board, I needed a thin kerf blade for rip cuts without the need to mortgage the house.
I decided to go real cheap and give one of those Frued 7” diablo blades a try when I saw this from Ridgid. So I decided to give it a chance.
It has what it appears more carbide when compared with other 7” blades. But I doubt it if it’s in the same quality class as Frued 7” blades.
Vibration is very reasonable low considering I used it on a table saw and compared to few other 7” blades I’ve tried now and then.
Well, long story short you get thin kerf cuts as you can see from the picture when compared to the real thing but If you want to use this blade as a ripping blade my recommendation would be no. The cuts are not that clean but ok. You would have to run the cut on a jointer and or planer. So at the end you would lose about the same amount of material as if you used a real thin kerf-ripping blade. Not to mention the extra time you waste cleaning the edges. So given the fact that it was never designed and intended to be used this way, 3 stars not bad.
I guess, I’ll pull the rigger on the new thin kerf frued glue line.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

View Rick's profile

Rick

I just saw the micro thin kerf blade on Rockler. Think they just got it on their site. It looks pretty nice and I like that the stabilizers are built into it. It also comes with a little kerf splitter. It is expensive.
I would buy a thin kerf blade now but I’ve got these 2 expensive freud blades that still have a lot of life left in them. So it’s hard to justify it.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

micro thin kerf blade on Rockler….........

yes i saw that one. price way too high for me and I don’t like the idea of having built in stabilizers. I could get 3 Freud thin kerf glue lines for that. LM75R has only 0.071 on plate and 0.091 on kerf. That is awesome!!
even thinner than LU87R.
_

what do you think about it?
What is there to say about Freud thin kerf glue line. it has all the advantages of big fat brother in thinner Kerf.
You should have no problem whatsoever using it to cut tapered legs. too bad they didn’t have it when I got my glue line blade.
If you want sharpness, quality, longevity and PRICE, Freud is the best saw blades or router bits. and I don’t even work for them ;-) just used them for years and whenever I try something else, I end up returning it and getting a Freud.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Rick's profile

Rick

What about the Freud Fusion thin kerf?

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5367 posts in 1972 days

The LM74 and LM75 (Tk version) are a triple chip grinds with a moderate hook angle (12°) and tighter side clearance for a nice polished edge, but they aren’t suggested for materials much > 1”. They’re more prone to burning in thicker woods.

The Fusion will leave an excellent edge, but with more teeth and a double side grind, is also more prone to burning in thicker materials. It also has a very steep top bevel (Hi-ATB grind), which offers very clean ply, sheetgoods, and cross cuts, so it’s more versatile than the GLR. (also available in full or TK)

As a comparison, I wouldn’t overlook the Forrest 30T WWII (full or TK). A great clean ripper with very good efficiency in thicker materials, very smooth cut, acceptable crosscuts in most situations, so it’s pretty versatile in comparison. It cuts nearly as cleanly as their 40T WWII, and is notably more efficient in thicker materials. It’s weakness starts to show up in the very cuts that the Freud Fusion is strong at. (I’d add a pic, but all the stock photos just show the 40T version)

FWIW, the Ridgid Titanium line appears to be made by Freud….roughly comparable to their former TK/Avanti line and the Diablo line. The Freud Industrial line offers a broader selection with thicker carbide, the Freud Premier line (Fusion) offers their more advanced blades but far fewer choices.

View Ryan Brown's profile

Ryan Brown

I have the Freud Thin Kerf Glue Line Rip blade and love it. I haven’t had any issues with burning in wood thicker than 1”. In fact, I’ve recently ripped some 2” thick cherry to make some legs for a vanity, and there was no burning at all. Also some 2 1/2” thick hard maple was not an issue. It should go without saying that if your fence is not perfectly parallel with the blade you will experience burning. I recommend it.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem. Roanoke, VA

View jaxx's profile

jaxx

i have just installed 1.7mm CMT thin Kerf 250mm blades on both Table Saw and Compound Miter Saw. the table saw blade is a dream and it goes through 2-2-1/2 even 3in oak like butter same with the miter saw however i did note that the miter saw can kick back a wee bit more than a thicker blade and has me clamping down the piece more than normal however great results. A quick 20 thou across the incra fence and thats all i need now. i had thought the thinner blade might give me problems on thick stock however, no problems ever. i wonder just how blunt my old blades were.