Great Mortiser

Review by sawblade1 posted 08-23-2010 04:42 AM 3480 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Mortiser Great Mortiser Great Mortiser Click the pictures to enlarge them

Got this Jointer Monday from Woodcraft, first impressions out of the box was great paint was crisp, not a lot of machine oil or packing grease Just enough to keep the rust off. Assembly took less than an 1/2 hour and the instructions were clear and concise, the mortiser came with all four chisels from 1/4” to 1/2” however I probably upgrade to lee Valley chisels (personal preference) Although the chisels out of the box are sharp and square I would recommend purchasing the diamond cone and lapping the chisels to increase sharpness.
One added bonus was the riser block and extended hold down with bolts along with a bushing to work with extended chisels.
Operation was smooth and the 1/2 hp motor had more than enough power driving the 1/2” chisel through red oak A 3/4” deep by 1 1/2” long mortise took less than 5 minutes from set up to finish cut.
I feel like this will be a tool that will be like the rest of them an serve me a long time to come.

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#1 posted 08-23-2010 05:16 AM

Congrats on your new tool.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#2 posted 08-23-2010 11:50 AM

What is this?

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#3 posted 08-23-2010 01:38 PM

It’s reasonably priced. I wouldn’t mind having one, but I got a list and it’s not on it – at least not near the top, anyways.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 08-23-2010 02:27 PM

I have a Jet table top mortising machine and my complaint about it is the hold down mechanism had too much play and did not work effectively.

I’m curious as to how well the hold down mechanism secures the wood on this machine.

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

#5 posted 08-23-2010 02:35 PM

Great review, maybe some day I will get one of these but for now I will continue using my drills and chisels.

Thanks for sharing!

-- Chuck Emery, Michigan,

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

#6 posted 08-23-2010 03:51 PM

b2rtchI cuts mortises for mortise and tenon joinery (basically a dedicated drill press that drills square holes) :)

Richthe hold down mechanism works great sometimes a little too great play is eliminated by a thumbscrew and post mechanism,

I hope this answers your questions feel free to ask more :)

View Tom Coster's profile

Tom Coster

#7 posted 08-23-2010 11:30 PM

Nice machine! I just paid Amazon this morning for a Shop Fox W1671 Mortising Machine. $225.00 plus $44.00 shipping. It was a “best pick” in one of the woodworking magazines my wife buys for me. (She puts “post its” notes next to the furniture she wants.) Anyway, I’m hoping it is a good machine. I’ve heard mixed reviews online about Grizzlies quality control issues. I’m getting back into woodbutchering after a hiatus of about 25 years. In out fitting my shop I have learned that the quality of the tools available now are not what they once were.

-- Tom, MI, SC

Jointer?

View ducky911's profile

ducky911

#9 posted 11-10-2010 09:33 PM

I have a delta not sure if it the same as yours ..your pics a blurred

I am ok with it only because the table and hold down adjustment are not easy——It is on my list to make a more user friendly table—-maybe like the one rockler sells.

bob