DowelMax: Opened the Door to Many Possibilities

Review by MsDebbieP posted 2410 days ago 4507 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DowelMax: Opened the Door to Many Possibilities No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

(photo by DowelMax.com)

The DowelMax
The DowelMax is a joinery tool, which helps you align holes for dowels, in a quick and easy process.

The DowelMax comes with the drill guides, drill bit, dowels and some other alignment tools. It also comes with a DVD to help you visualize how to set up the tool for different joinery styles.

Easy To Use
Because of the precision alignment guides, you simply clamp and drill one piece of wood and align the tool on the second piece of wood and repeat the process. The dowels will fit like a charm!

To align the guide, you mark the matching face of the wood and the outer edge of the wood on both pieces so that you are starting to measure from the same place. The directions say to use an X and a checkmark to get your orientation correct. I have found that I prefer to place a little painter’s tape on the edges of the face to make sure I have everything going in the same direction.

Once you get a handle of the alignment marking, the rest is as easy as 1,2,3.

My Rating
For me, this opened the door to tons of possibilities for my woodworking. No more screws. And it’s easy.
This has become one of the most used tools in my shop.

View mot's profile

mot

I agree, Debbie. The Dowelmax is a precision tool that is easy to use and produces perfect results. It is one of the true bargains in woodworking as it’s design, machining, instruction and customer support is rarely matched.

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Very cool. I’ll have to check it out.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

A fine review.

rikkor

I have been so frustrated by misaligned dowels that I have quit using them completely. This may change my outlook. Thanks for the review Debbie.

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

ive had one very similar to these for many years and agree with tom a real woodworkers bargain tool that works very well

rikkor

I just checked on line. This is a spendy little devil. From the raves, however, sounds like it might be worth it.

MsDebbieP

I think the cost has to do with the precision components and the fact that is is an invention that is being produced by the inventor and it is still relatively new to the market. Just my thoughts. But the ease to do dowels? _ well worth it.

View Bob Babcock's profile

Bob Babcock

By far the best dowel jig available. You have to love the strength of the joints, especially in comparison to the ease of creation. The versatility is what strikes me though. You can do so much with it. A well thought out tool that is easy to use.

-- Bob, Carver Massachusetts, Sawdust Maker http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

View mot's profile

mot

Yeah, the sticker shock is erased the first time you use it. You just nod, and go, “Ahhhhhhh.”

MsDebbieP

isn’t it interesting that we’ll pay big bucks for something with no second thoughts and then something else we are shocked by the price.

rikkor

I am certainly not opposed to spending (significant) money on good tools. I was just surprised when I did check the price on the dowelmax. I will probably end up with one based on the comments I’ve seen here. (and I trust this bunch)

View John's profile

John

Makes doweling viable – which to me without a decent drill press might make the price worth it. Thanks for the review!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com

MsDebbieP

Tom did a great video of it (the reason I purchased one was how easy he made it look.)

View Myron Wooley's profile

Myron Wooley

Bought one a year ago. Love it. Wanna buy my biscuit joiner? I make you special deal…

-- The days are long and the years are short...

View EMVarona's profile

EMVarona

How do you do a T-joint with this?

-- Ed "Real happiness is one that you share."