Long strong screws instead of lag screws

Review by rimfire7891 posted 08-22-2010 02:44 AM 5561 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Long  strong screws instead of lag screws Long  strong screws instead of lag screws Long  strong screws instead of lag screws Click the pictures to enlarge them

Was building retaining wall with treated 4×6’s and need something to keep them together.
If we back up a little, was a friends place in jolly old England. He does handyman type stuff. Bricks, electrical, solariums,plumbing,fences etc. He had these screws for some of the large timbers he used. I thought they would be just what I needed, sometimes. Got back to Canada and tried to find them. You want what? No luck so I used google to find the company that made them. Called them said they did have a supplier in Canada near me. Called them they said they have sold a few to log home builders, that was about it.They could special order them for $4.00 each.
So on to e-bay, found them in NY for $33 for 50 plus shipping. worked out to $1.27 each landed. I am very happy with the screws, they drive well with a regular cordless impact driver, It takes a fairly high torque driver to put in the 10” long one into treated wood. No drilling needed. Did have to finish the odd one off with the 3/8 drive ratchet.
Lots of different sizes available. If you have the need for extra strong corrosion resistant fasteners, these just may do the job. I think ACE Hardware has as stock in most of the US or e-bay.
www.FastenMaster.com

-- Playing with wood and metal for the last 50 years, driving and building Land Cruisers for the last 40. Experience is what you get when you don't know what you are doing.

View rimfire7891's profile

rimfire7891

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

1580 posts in 1958 days

#1 posted 08-22-2010 03:28 AM

McFeely’s sells these, and they work very well. I’m using them on the potato cannon I’m building/blogging, on the clamps that hold the gun to the trunnion, and I’m holding up my wall-mounted racks with them.

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

View JasonWagner's profile

JasonWagner

#2 posted 08-22-2010 04:06 AM

Used these on my son’s sand box. They are pretty pricey (from Home Depot) but worked very well. Used a cordless impact driver to easily drive through three 4×4s at a time.

-- some day I hope to have enough clamps to need a clamp cart!

View Dark_Lightning's profile

Dark_Lightning

#3 posted 08-22-2010 04:14 AM

I worked on one Boy Scout Eagle project where we drilled through railroad ties and hammered in rebar. This would have reduced our workload considerably. Nice to know!

View Dennis Fletcher's profile

Dennis Fletcher

#4 posted 08-22-2010 01:35 PM

I used these quite a bit. They are great. If you need more at that price, let me know, I may be able to get them for you, just PM me and we’ll talk. My supplier sells them and that sounds like the same pricing.

-- http://www.ahomespecialist.net, Making design and application one. †

View Julian's profile

Julian

#5 posted 08-22-2010 05:06 PM

I use them all the time when building exterior decks and also when screwing LVL’s together. I use my small lightweight makita 18 volt cordless impact and it drives these in without breaking a sweat.

-- Julian, Park Forest, IL

View NotEnough's profile

NotEnough

#6 posted 08-22-2010 05:37 PM

I used some similar type self tapping lags to secure the sill plate on a small shed. Got them at the local Fastenal store. Much easier than piloting the holes and then running them down. They are GRK brand I believe. They’re pretty wicked looking….for a screw.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#7 posted 08-23-2010 12:58 AM

I don’t know if they still carry them, but Menards used to have these. I used them to build a raised flower bed and retaining wall out of landscpae timbers about 5 years ago. I reinforced the wall with a couple of dead men and some steel fence posts set inside the timbers and fastened to the backside before we put the fill dirt in.

View wallkicker's profile

wallkicker

#8 posted 08-25-2010 01:36 AM

They sell them at the Menards near me . like said above they are great for deck framing . They work very well . Cordless 18 sinks them nicely .