Bear of a jointer with grizzly sharp teeth!

Review by mmh posted 1471 days ago 4299 views 3 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bear of a jointer with grizzly sharp teeth! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am mainly a cane maker so my wood working techniques or needs don’t require the same as that of a cabinet or furniture maker, but since I do use a LOT of very hard woods (Afromosia, Bloodwood, Cocobolo, Ebony, Jatoba, Osage Orange, Macadamia, Macawood, Padauk, Pink Ivory, Rosewood, Ziricote, etc.). I needed a quality jointer and wanted one with the cutting ability to get a nice smooth surface on these woods, especially the figured ones for my cane work and future furniture projects. The cheap hand-me-down jointer from circa 1950 was fine for softer woods but it pitted out even the figured maple which made more work on projects such as a dining table.

So, the search to find a high quality machine for my above beer but lower than champagne budget was a challenge. After reading other reviews and researching my options I decided to try the Grizzly brand of tools. There are several options offered but I really wanted to get the spiral indexed cutting blade http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Indexable-Spiral-Cutterhead/H7653. This blade is incredible! The 4 sided blades are set in so that one side does the actual cutting and can be rotated when one side is dull. Each of these 1/2” blades are also set in a spiral base that cuts the surface of even the hardest woods to a glass like finish. The blade alone will cost around $200.-$250. but it’s well work the investment. The temptation to save a few $$ may be to buy a cheaper model and then buy the blade separate, but I don’t know if you want to risk having a machine that’s not factory compatible with the parts you are trying to piece together.

So far, the figured hardwoods that have been worked on with this jointer have very little pitting, as highly figured woods will always have some, but the surface is much smoother and for the most part is extremely usable for a finished surface.

For a little more than $700. this machine was delivered to my door http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-X-46-Jointer-w-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0452Z . If you sign up for Grizzly’s specials you may be able to get an offer for discounted shipping, but their shipping rates are quite reasonable to begin with. I hope to use this for a lifetime of wood ventures.

My only gripe is that the person who’s job it is to grease the machine to prevent rust or corrosion must be paid by the bucket. Each piece was slathered liberally with enough mechanics grease to slide one down from Mount Kilimanjaro to the Cape of Good Hope. It was a pain to remove and the carburetor degreasing spray is toxic to breathe to say the least, so a mask and exhaust fan are a must.

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View mmh's profile

mmh

I agree.

I bought the jointer first because I wanted to check out the spiral cutters.

After I found out the quality cut you get, I then bought the 20” planer.

They are both superb machines.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1906 days

Great review and I agree with you and Karson. I have the 20” planer and I love it….it makes my projects so much more square and cuts down on the hand planing and sanding I have to do for finishing. As for the cosmoline (shipping grease) – I use Orange Glow….not toxic and gets the grease off quick and easy…you just end up using alot of rags or shop towels (i use old socks…lol).

I have the jointer on my wish list…and am trying to find some room in my shop for it….right now I am using my router table with an offset on the out feed fence as a jointer. I really like the spiral cutters and will definitely go that route.

Oh…and keep an eye on Grizzly, they have free shipping sales alot….I got my planer and TS that way…only thing I had to pay was $25.00 for a loading gate…...and the delivery guy was kind enough to wheel it into my shop on a pallet jack.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View lew's profile

lew

Great Score, Meilie!!

Wish I had the spiral head cutter.

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I own the similar G0604X and I am very pleased with it. I don’t have the spiral indexed cutting blade but I will probably switch to it when it is time to replace my blades. So far, my conventional blades are doing a great job.

View mmh's profile

mmh

Karson: Gee, I can’t even fathom what a 20” planer could do! I may need to put that on the “Wish List”!

ReggieK: FREE shipping?! Gee, I thought $20. off was not too shabby. But they have a standard shipping fee so people who live farther get the same deal as those who live closer to their warehouses. Not a bad deal for those who are out of the immediate neighborhood and for those who live closer and want to save $$ they can drive up and load it in their own truck.

Lew &I richgreer: I would definately put the spiral indexed cutterhead on your Wish List!

View Dustmite97's profile

Dustmite97

Thanks for the review. I am currently in the market for a jointer and I have had my eye on this one for a long time.

View newTim's profile

newTim

MMH… Thanks for the review. However, I just bought a 490X w/ Spiral cutter and am having a major problem. Seems the little square cutters are held in place with Torx screws. Since the cutterhead is coated in grease it is impossible to clean without removing and cleaning the cutters (which begs the question as to why they even install the cutters in the first place if only to cover them in grease which can only be cleaned by removing the cutters, but I digress). I started trying to remove the cutters and they were all tightened too much. While I was able to get a few off I came to one that cannot be removed. It seems to me the factory either used the wrong torque setting or used locktight instead of oil. Anyway, I have this $1,300 jointer that has been rendered useless by a 2 cent screw. I sent an email to Griz and we’ll see what they do about it. Needless to say these type of experiences ruin the joy of a great hobby and turn it into a nightmare.

If anyone has had a similar experience I’d appreciate any and all advice.

-- tim hill www.newcalshop.com