Photo lights for better posts

Review by BritBoxmaker posted 08-16-2010 01:02 PM 2174 views 1 time favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Photo lights for better posts Photo lights for better posts Photo lights for better posts Click the pictures to enlarge them

Not strictly speaking a woodwork tool these are LED lighting units to use in video or stills photography but as I’m continually taking pics for Project posts and blogs I thought it appropriate to post them here. They are from a site based in the UK Channel islands (post free in UK) but I’m not sure they will post worldwide.

The URL should you want to check them out is here

I bought a pair. One goes either side of my Canon Powerhot A460. They do stack on one another quite solidly and light output at 480 lumens, Colour temperature: 5,500K is ample. Standard 1/4” mounting, two light level settings etc. Its all on the URL page

pic 2 is a quick and dirty example taken with them of my current project (not finished) on the workbench
pic 3 is with ambient lighting

At £20 each I don’t think you can go far wrong.

Oh and for all of those in the US. Now you know what its like looking longingly at your tool posts.

-- Martyn -- Boxologist, Pattern Juggler and Candyman of the visually challenging. http://www.theartofboxes.com

View BritBoxmaker's profile

BritBoxmaker

#1 posted 08-16-2010 01:52 PM

The application of LED techology to photographic equipment has been an ongoing thing, but this is the first I’ve seen of photoflood lamps with all LEDs.
Bravo.
This is surely going to be future of all lighting devices.
In the meantime, for those of us not blessed with LED photoflood lamps, there are things we can do with more mundane lamps to improve our product shots, be they stills or videos.
Look at the subject with squinted eyes, This will give a rough approximation of the limited scope of photographic media. Our eyes resolve images in a much wider range and they often fool us in thinking our subject looks just fine. Move the subject or the lamps to provide a more pleasing arrangement. Use reflectors outside the image area to give added punch. Sometimes a single strip of white paper nearby can do wonders for the reflections on the subject.
As we can see from Martyns pictures above, reducing the difference between hioghlights and shadows can do wonders for product photography, although a strong contrast is desirable for some more artistic effects.
Go to a library or browse the Internet to find techniques used by professional photographers and videographers.
You’ll improve your images and be much more pleased with the results.

Don

-- Will trade wife's yarn for tools.

View mafe's profile

mafe

#2 posted 08-16-2010 04:11 PM

Hi Martyn,
This is really cool, I can see they make a hughe difference.
Yes LED are the future no doubt, my brother are CEO of Phillips Denmark, and he say they put all their invention money on this now.
I manage my self, with a big flash from Canon, don’t remember the name, but it’s the biggest EOS flash, and shoot it in the ceeling, on the wall or a piece of white board. This also give this ‘ambient’ life.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View swirt's profile

swirt

1945 posts in 1626 days

#3 posted 08-16-2010 04:39 PM

Nice idea. I like it.
For those of us in the states here is a similar version on Amazon.
It has fewer LEDs but higher output (600 lumens vs 480). Doesn’t mention the color temp though.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View BritBoxmaker's profile

BritBoxmaker

#4 posted 08-16-2010 04:49 PM

swirt – Its likely to be in the same, daylight colour temperature, range, around 5500K

Hmm. thinks at the above colour temperature if any of you suffer from SAD you could use these for treatment. Don’t get too close or look directly into them though. even 480 lumens is pretty bright.

View Div's profile

Div

#5 posted 08-16-2010 08:07 PM

Martyn, LOVE your final statement! I can relate!

-- Div @ the bottom end of Africa. "A woodworker's sharpest tool should be his mind."

View Zachmo2's profile

Zachmo2

#6 posted 08-22-2010 12:38 AM

Color temp is approximately 4500. I went to the Sima site and downloaded the manual. It has it listed in there.