I had it's fair share of problems out of the box.

Review by ABrown posted 1340 days ago 3479 views 2 times favorited 20 comments Add to Favorites Watch
I had it's fair share of problems out of the box. I had it's fair share of problems out of the box. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up this saw last feb at HD, and for $299 I figued it was a good deal. I don’t resaw any thing so the size was right. The assembly of the saw was stright foward, I had it compleated in less than an hour. When I turned it on, I thought that saw was going to walk across the shop. I done some research “after I bought it” and then started fixing things one by one: The belt was replaced with a link belt from Rockler, It helped a pretty good bit but it still had a fair amount of vibration, next I ditched the vibration isolators on the motor and cut a peice of mdf and installed it on top of the stand got some longer bolts and reinstalled the motor and saw, that helped it out more but I still wasn’t happy, so next I balanced the wheels and replaced the tires with some from Rockler. Sucess I have all but eleminated the vibration. More or less all this took place in the two weeks following the purchase of this saw. After I fixed all of that I decided that it was time to do a test cut, man the blade that came from the factory was horrible, so I orded a Timber Wolf blade from Grizzly and put that on. Now the saw works great, I put an HTC mobile base under it and used the crap out of the saw. This saw started out on a bad note, but now its singing a pretty good tune.

View Canadian Woodworks's profile

Canadian Woodworks

Too bad for the hard start, she makes up for it in the finish.

I have the same saw for about 10 years, but it’s all gray

Didn’t do the mdf like you but I should, and have always wanted to

Did do link belt, what a great invention!

All I use it a lot, 3/8’’ blade all the time

-- Paul Lemiski, Ontario Canada, Custom Wooden Rocking chairs and tables http://www.canadianwoodworks.com

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

With all the work you did right out of the box sounds like a great endorsment to not buy!!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

One of these days I’ll get mine set up. Hope it is better than that one.

View Kerry Drake's profile

Kerry Drake

Can you do a tally of the money you spent to make this $299 work to your liking?

-- Kerry Drake, Loudon NH, http://thenickedfinger.wordpress.com/

ABrown

Sure my invoice from Rockler was $69.01,$28.65 from grizzly, and $32.96 from Homedepot. Grand total of $121.62. grand total for upgrades and saw was $420.62.

View mathom7's profile

mathom7

It would cost a little over $600 to get the Grizzly G0555 with the mobile base, so it still sounds like a decent deal. My guess is this is the closest competition.

I’m hoping these go on clearance in my area soon for something under $200. There are 2 or 3 sitting in dusty boxes in just about every one of the HD’s in my area. I figure it’s only a matter of time before they go the route of the Ridgid jointer and R4511 table saw.

ABrown

It’s been a good saw after everything was fixed, I considered taking it back after I had put it together, but I done some research and it seems that a lot of these saws have the same problem. So I decided to fix it instead of returning it.

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

To me fixing it was letting the manufacturer get away with producing a inferior saw I always say Buy quality not buy price!!! Cheap will either be one of three things one more work (as in your case), poor cut Quality or inaccuracy that usually can’t be fixed, Or the worst case scenario something breaks or loosens an you wind up losing digits!!
Still have the red marks on my knuckles from a harbor freight disk /belt sander the mounts for the disk table broke sending two of my knuckles index and middle into a spinning sanding disk that $50.00 sander went into the trash that same day after that I decided not to buy another cheap sander or tool again!!!!

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

I bought the Ridgid BS on high recomendations. When I get it together, I hope it wasn’t a mistake ???

View flyfisherbob2000's profile

flyfisherbob2000

I have this saw, have been using it for over a year now. I had none of these problems out of the box. Its a good saw, a bit underpowered, but for general use it is great. If you are going to resaw a lot, get something with more power. But, for general shop use, it seems to be fine.

View BillyJ's profile

BillyJ

It’s too bad you had to go through all of that, but hopefully it will service you well for years to come. Cut safely.

-- I've never seen a tree that I wouldn't like to repurpose into a project. I love the smell of wood in the morning - it smells like victory.

View Swede's profile

Swede

I have been planing on buying a larger saw to resaw with.
It looks like a person needs to buy one that has been assembled and have it turned on to see if it will try to walk out of the room.
I am more lost on what brand to get now if I have to mail order it.
If there is a lemon I will get it always happens to me. :-(

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

Thanks for the review; I don’t think I’d be as patient as you were at fixing it up.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View dsb1829's profile

dsb1829

Yep, been there and done that. With a bit of thought and a couple of modifications this saw is good. I did basically the same upgrades out of the box and have not had any issues with it since, going on 2 years now.

-- Doug, woodworking in Alabama

ABrown

I haven’t had any issues out of it sence I fixed every thing. So I’m starting to like it a lot more now.