Excellent tool for hollowers

Review by reggiek posted 08-14-2010 07:23 PM 2137 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Excellent tool for hollowers No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this tool some time ago, based on a recommendation I received from a good friend that does gallery class production turnings, and have been running it through it’s paces. Now that I have it’s measure, it is time to do a write up.

This tool is made in New Zealand – and definitely has excellent engineering and quality control. It arrived in first class condition well packaged and extremely well protected. The instruction book is a bit on the slim side…not enough diagrams on how to set up…but enough to give you an idea as to how it is assembled (and reassembled to make use of the flexible fingers). This is a very adaptable tool…and can be configured in multiple directions/formats.

The tool comes factory sharpened and very sharp. I did a fast hone to check the surface and it really didn’t need it. The adjustment from the factory is pretty good….I played with it to see the different results (you can shorten or lengthen the cutter)...and the factory setting was pretty much right on.

There is a additional scraper set…fairly inexpensive and I would recommend it. The cutter comes unhandled…so you can use another manufacturer’s, make your own…or purchase their handle – which I did at the time as I got it as a full kit. The handle is a compression type, you twist counter to loosen then insert the tool, twist to tighten…this way you can adjust the length to suit. The handle has nice padded grips and is very well made….heavy enough for the tool but light enough not to cause fatigue. I typically like my handles a bit longer and heavier…but I got used to this one very quickly.

I have turned several bowls, vessels and boxes using this cutter and it is very smooth….my other cutters (Sorby, Munro) tear the grain much more and cause me alot of work scraping the walls smooth…this cutter needs very little if any scraping (the scraper set that I got with this tool has mostly been used where I had to use other cutters or tools and hardly after hollowing with this one).

If you do not make your own tools, this is a very good hollower to purchase. So much better then the Sorby or any other set I have seen/used and moderately priced (it is not a cheap trinket made in bulk factories by cheap untrained laborers – and runs around the same price as the Sorby…Munro…etc). I find myself using this tool even more then the excellent one I crafted based on the one John Jordan uses. The 5 star rating is earned….they don’t scrimp on quality and you can see it in the finished product. For anyone wanting a fine hollower, this is definitely one to consider.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View reggiek's profile

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2090 days

#2 posted 08-16-2010 02:56 AM

Thanks for the review. Looks like a good tool. Where did you buy it?

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1956 days

#3 posted 08-16-2010 07:21 AM

araldite, I purchased this tool from woodworker's supply you can also check the manufacturer’s home page at woodcut tools – they have a link to find suppliers.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#4 posted 08-19-2010 09:31 PM

thanks for the review Reggie.

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.