recommend it to anyone

Review by ABrown posted 08-14-2010 06:06 AM 4716 views 1 time favorited 36 comments Add to Favorites Watch
recommend it to anyone recommend it to anyone recommend it to anyone Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve had this saw for about two years. It’s too bad that Rdgid quit manfacturing this saw cause its great saw to own. I have no mechanical problems at all with this saw. I do have the same complaints that everybody else that owns one of these saws has with it. The fence is my biggest problem, the two piece rail has a bump where it connects and I’ve also noticed that when you are cutting 1/4’’ and smaller ply it wants to slide under the fence a little bit. The blade guard/splitter lacks a little to be desired. These small problems wouldn’t stop me from buying the saw again if I could. Most people “mod” this saw with Biesemeyer, Incra and other types of fences I’ve seen a few with overarm blade guards, and router tables attached to them, and this is an excellent saw for upgrades. I know there is a lot of people out there scared of the granite top, I have treated this saw no differently than the Jet contractors saw I had before it and I have yet to chip or crack the top. So It passes my toughness test. The herc u lift casters do an ok job of moving the saw just make shure you don’t have any cracks in the floor, I hit a seam in the floor of my shop and turned the saw over and it took about and hour and a half to get it back upright. Overall I believe that this is a great saw to own and a pleasure to use. I would recommend it to anyone.

View wseand's profile

wseand

#1 posted 08-14-2010 06:50 AM

Great review thanks for sharing.

-- Bill - "Freedom flies in your heart like an Eagle" Audie Murphy

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 08-14-2010 04:35 PM

Good review. Thank you.

I’ve always been curious about granite tops. I would have one minor problem with them. I like my feather boards that I connect to the saw top with a magnet switch.

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

thanks for the review

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#5 posted 08-14-2010 06:04 PM

nice review. once setup – I have no problems with the fence. just add some faces and a zero clearance insert , and it’ll be even better

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#6 posted 08-14-2010 06:36 PM

I have the other saw Rigid made nad like it alot. I did get rid of the lift system and put a real base on it and I’m happy I did. Thx for the review.

View ChrisForthofer's profile

ChrisForthofer

#7 posted 08-14-2010 07:12 PM

Nice review, I have the older cast iron top model and love it too, great saw for the money. FYI, according to the Ridgid web site, they still make this model. http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm

Chris.

-- -Director of slipshod craftsmanship and attention deficit woodworking

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#8 posted 08-14-2010 07:51 PM

Too bad it’s been discontinued. It is a true hybrid table saw. unlike many so called hybrids…..

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View ARTbyGUNTHER's profile

ARTbyGUNTHER

#9 posted 08-14-2010 08:55 PM

Thanks for the review, ABrown. I’m actually contemplating picking up a factory refurbished one (outside of the scope of the recall) in the next week or two. I want to do a little bit more research but for the money I have yet to find a better table saw.

-- Gunther, Marietta GA -- So many worlds, so much to do, so little done, such things to be. -Alfred, Lord Tennyson

#10 posted 08-14-2010 11:02 PM

It’s a great saw for the money. Thanks for all the comments.

View David's profile

David

#11 posted 08-14-2010 11:38 PM

Great review, I too have this saw and love it. There is a way to replace the two piece rails wit a single tube and angle iron in the back. I have seen it on the ridgid forums. This thing is heavy, I had to take it all apart to get it off the truck. ( by myself) Got mine on clearance for $299 and would gladly have paid the full $599 for it.

-- “Don’t tell me what can’t be done, tell me what you want done then shut up and get out of my way and let me do it!”

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

#12 posted 08-15-2010 03:23 AM

Very nice. Also, it looks like you did a DIY over the table vacuum, I’d love to see a blog about that if you haven’t posted one already. :)

#13 posted 08-15-2010 03:35 AM

I haven’t bloged before but I’ll give it a shot.

#14 posted 08-15-2010 04:59 AM

Blogs up for the dust guard.

#15 posted 08-16-2010 08:47 PM

PurpLev, I agree with you that the fence is OK but for one thing that really bugs me, whern I adjust the fence and then tight it, it moves quite a bit each time.
I tried to adjust the set screws but that did not help. Any idea?
Also one day I shall replace the motor with a 2.5 or 3.0HP one.
Thanks .