3M Respirator

Review by mnorusis posted 1343 days ago 4885 views 0 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
3M Respirator No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

At the start of the first coat of lacquer I put on in preparing for finishing a desk project, I knew I would be buying a respirator immediately. The smell is aweful and while I’m not certain the safety risks of breathing it, I have read some pretty bad stories online about the fumes.

I went to HomeDepot and decided to buy the best mask they had…so this was it. I did 0 research on masks, including for best model/price.

This mask certainly does the job I needed it to do. While wearing the mask, I can smell no lacquer smell at all, and I have an insanely strong sense of smell.

I would buy it again, it gets 4 stars just because I don’t have anything else to compare it to.

View chrisstef's profile

chrisstef

Just be careful what kind of cartridges you are using with your respirators, if you’re looking to reduce the smell of vapors you should have charcoal cans, the ones made to filter dust wont always control odors.

-- "there aren’t many hand tools as awe-inspiring as the #8 jointer. I mean, it just reeks of cast iron heft and hubris" - Smitty

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

If you ever do any fuming with commercial grade ammonia, a mask is absolutely essential. Your eyesight or your life could be in jeopardy. Frankly, I wouldn’t trust a mask sold by home depot for that purpose.

I don’t know where, but I know special masks designed for special purposes (like protecting one from ammonia) are available.

View Chris Camp's profile

Chris Camp

I’ve been using that exact same mask for three years now (I’ve replaced the filters a few times) and I have been very happy with it. For lacquer it is perfectly fine. Richgreer is right, though. If you are using anything that can harm your eyes, this won’t do you much good.

-- I'm always thinking one step ahead, like a carpenter building stairs...

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

People who are routinely working with solvents, especially spraying them, or who are just really cautious about their exposure, should have a respirator fit test done, and use only a mask they’ve been fitted for. The protection afforded by a respirator is only as good as the fit. That said, I only occassionaly work with laquer thinner or other strong solvents, and I only spray waterbased finishes, so I have not had a respirator fitted.

View Tony Strupulis's profile

Tony Strupulis

I bought this same respirator last weekend for my 13-year old son. I chose it because it came in different sizes and I could get one small enough for his face. I was spraying 2-part urethane foam insulation and he was helping me out. He said he smelled no vapors while wearing it.

I agree with the previous comments regarding solvents and a fit test. A fresh shave is a must for a proper fit.

-- Tony - http://ravensedgetoolworks.com

View Sailor's profile

Sailor

I have this same one and it works great. I really think it fits me pretty good, but I have nothing to compare it too. A guy I work with bought one for $60 at a local paint store and it’s no better in my opinion, just heavier….

-- Dothan, Alabama Check out my woodworking blog! http://woodworkingtrip.blogspot.com/ Also my Youtube Channel's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SailingAndSuch

mnorusis

Thanks for the extra info guys!

View spamfilterman's profile

spamfilterman

think I bought the same one a couple days ago at Lowes. I’ve already put it through its paces while putting down some Watco in the garage.
How do you know when the filters should be replaced?

Good review thx for the info.

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

@spamfilterman

Depends on the hours and finish you use.
You should be changing them at least every 2-3 months.

-- shdesign3.com

View atceric's profile

atceric

I can’t tell from the picture if that’s a dual use cartridge on the mask or not. However, the pink cartridges are HEPA cartridges used to filter dust, but they do nothing for VOC’s like lacquer, thinner, etc. If that’s a dual use cartridge, then you’re fine. It’ll filter both VOC and dust.

I have the same mask and it fits well.

mnorusis

My cartridges are pink, #60923 niosh cartridges.

When I use it I can’t smell the lacquer at all.

Do I not have the correct cartridges for use with fumes like from lacquer?

Thanks all
Mike

View atceric's profile

atceric

I didn’t look up the cartridge number, but the dual use cartridges I’ve seen were usually pink and another color. Solid pink were just HEPA rated (dust). Look for info on the cartridge saying it’s rated for VOC’s. Volatile organic compounds.

View spamfilterman's profile

spamfilterman

FWIW, the respirator I bought at lowe’s a couple days ago has the ‘60921’ pink cartridges. On the side it says ‘Organic Vapors /P100’.
I just used it a couple hours today putting down some Watco oil…. I feel ok, didn’t smell a thing.

And change them 2-3 months? Ouch. I was thinking 2-3 years…. ;-) I might only use it a few times per year.

View Quixote's profile

Quixote

I’ll use similar masks for my work painting with automotive paints.

Put it back in the bag and seal it to keep it clean.

One suggestion I have is to use a permanent marker and write the date you opened the mask and put it into service. Place of purchase or number of uses is good to track too.

I usually replace mine after a month or after so many uses.

-- I don't make sawdust...I produce vast quantities of "Micro Mulch."