IN-LINE INDUSTRIES PP2325 Machined Steel Pulleys

Review by ChuckC posted 08-12-2010 07:43 PM 7354 views 3 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
IN-LINE INDUSTRIES PP2325 Machined Steel Pulleys No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a Craftsman 10” contractors table saw that I bought new about 6 years ago for just over $500. I am a hobbyist woodworker and the saw suits my needs. Recently the saw developed a really bad vibration and loud rattle. I took a look at everything using a dial indicator and everything checked out. There was favorable review in Wood magazine a few years ago regarding this product so I thought I would give it a try. I wanted the pulleys and link belt which was $50 shipped. They told me they no longer carried the belt but offered the pulleys for $30 shipped. I took it.
The pulleys came in about a week nicely packaged in foam. Each one was marked for it’s intended location; arbor, motor. The original pulleys were the same size as each other but the new one for the motor was a little smaller. I guess that means I’ll get a little less RPM but a little more power. I put them on and the saw runs like new and I did notice less strain on the motor. I’ll probably add the link belt to my next Rockler order but I really don’t think I need it. I was ready to toss the saw but for $30 I’m back in action. I give this product 5 stars since it accomplished what it was set out to do.

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

View mnguy's profile

mnguy

161 posts in 2053 days

#1 posted 08-12-2010 07:54 PM

Good review – sounds like a quality product. Did you ever fully diagnose the issue that caused the vibration to develop? A cracked pulley? A loose pulley?

View ChuckC's profile

ChuckC

#2 posted 08-12-2010 08:07 PM

I was beating up the saw one day doing a lot of wide dado’s. That’s when it started. The arbor pulley was loose so I tightened it. I was able to get through a few cuts (not dado) and it would loosen again. I went through this for about 2 months. I don’t use the saw every day. I’m lucky if I get in the shop twice a week. I put a dial indicator on the pulley and it was out-of-round. The arbor is fine. I was actually shocked at how true the arbor was.

#3 posted 08-12-2010 09:27 PM

This is another good review, Chuck. When I had my Craftsman saw I replaced the pulleys and belt with the kit. It made the saw run much smoother, as you described.

It is a shame that they don’t sell the belts anymore. In-Line Industries was the cheapest source for the belts that I could find ($6.00 a foot if memory serves me right).

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

#4 posted 08-12-2010 09:34 PM

I put the link belt on my old craftsman and it also made a big difference so you might consider doing the belt too. Thanks for the review.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View Estley's profile

Estley

#5 posted 08-12-2010 10:32 PM

I went thru this not a month ago, also on an older craftsman saw. The link belt is worth it though….

after I got mine someone mentioned this place http://www.agrisales-inc.com/item_list.php?int_category_id=50

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

#6 posted 08-12-2010 11:22 PM

Woodcraft has the 4’ link belt on sale for about $24 now, or $6/foot. I’ve been considering buying one for my band saw.

View docholladay's profile

docholladay

#7 posted 08-14-2010 11:20 AM

Chuck, I have this same set on my Delta Contractor Saw. It made a world of difference for me also. I actually did add the link belt also and it also made a big difference. In my case, one of the old cast pulleys actually blew out on the side (I think because the pulleys had never been aligned originally when saw was new). I put the pulleys on and lined them up correctly. Installed the lin belt and “Bob’s your uncle” – no more vibration. I also believe the saw has a little bit more torque to power through thicker pieces as well.

One other source for a link belt is Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html). It doesn’t look like it is any cheaper than other sources, but the Harbor Freight near where I live did have them in stock recently.

-- Hey, woodworking ain't brain surgery. Just do something and keep trying till you get it. Doc

#8 posted 08-14-2010 06:49 PM

Great info I’ll be looking into this set up! Thx

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

#9 posted 08-14-2010 07:16 PM

wow, someone else uses a sears belt driven saw. I have been cosidering a motor upgrade. Any thoughts?

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View Hopdevil's profile

Hopdevil

#10 posted 08-16-2010 02:22 AM

I ordered a set this week, and I have to say that Jerry Cole of In-Line industries is a gem! My table saw threw a pulley during my first big project on late Friday afternoon. Based on this review, I immediately went on line and ordered a set. I assumed it would ship out on Monday at the earliest. I explained my situation during my order. I got a call from Jerry on Saturday. He had to stop at the shop for a few things and put my pulleys in the mail while he was in there! Woo Hoo, thanks Jerry!

-- Buzz ---- Message sent from the End of the Internet.