Bye-bye rust!

Review by Bret posted 08-11-2010 05:49 PM 2417 views 3 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bye-bye rust! Bye-bye rust! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m generally skeptical of products that purport to take the place of elbow grease, but I got this bottle of Rust Off in a package at Woodcraft with some Boeshield and blade & bit cleaner. Last night, I realized that I had to put my smoker up for sale before we pack out (in two weeks) and so I needed to de-rust it. I stood there for a while, wire brush in hand and Dremel tool nearby when I remembered that I had this stuff.

The instructions say to spray it on rust, allow it to saturate the surface, wait 30-60 seconds and remove. Since I was working on a grill-type item, I used a Scotch-brite pad to scrub the surface after 60 seconds as directed.

Wow. The smoker had been stored outdoors for almost 4 years, and almost every surface had some amoubnt of rust. It is shown here after 10 minutes of spraying, waiting, and scrubbing. And scrubbing is probably too harsh of a term. Really, I just rubbed the surface with the Scotch-brite pad and watched the surface turn black again.

After spraying, you can almost watch the rust fade and turn black. It’s pretty amazing. Better living through chemistry!

If you ever have the need to remove rust and are looking for a product to make it easy, definitely consider Rust Off. I’m pretty sure it was invented at Boeing for use on aircraft parts just like Boeshield.

-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

View Bret's profile

Bret

View BreakingBoardom's profile

BreakingBoardom

#1 posted 08-11-2010 06:01 PM

I used this to remove a few spots of rust on a used table saw I bought. Stuff works great.

-- Matt - http://breakingboardom.wordpress.com/

View Tdazzo's profile

Tdazzo

#2 posted 08-11-2010 06:12 PM

Does Woodcraft sell it separately? Any other sources you know of to get this stuff? Doesn’t look like a name brand product.

-- "If you can't do something smart, do something right." -- Sheppard Book

View Bret's profile

Bret

#3 posted 08-11-2010 06:19 PM

They do sell it separately, $12 for 8.45 ounces: http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=208&ss=15f4aa77-331a-4654-a8b6-5e35406dc802, and it appears it is part of the T-9 product line from Boeshield: http://www.boeshield.com/

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#4 posted 08-11-2010 09:42 PM

sounds like it’s probably phosphoric acid based. should work about as well as any other phosphoric acid based product. (not naysaying, just recommending :-) )

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#5 posted 08-12-2010 01:00 AM

I wonder how it works on old rusty planes?

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

#6 posted 08-12-2010 01:52 AM

It is phosphoric acid based, I use it as well – but only in well ventilated areas. The fumes are quite harsh. For restoring planes, I use Evaporust for the soaking, and the Rust Off for spot treatments that are extra stubborn.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

#7 posted 08-12-2010 08:46 AM

Thanks for the tip ;-))

-- Bob in WW ~ "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

View Swede's profile

Swede

#8 posted 08-12-2010 06:37 PM

I will have to try it on my smoker it looks just like yours.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

31959 posts in 2946 days

#9 posted 08-13-2010 07:50 PM

Thanks for the tip, I have some old plane parts that I need to clean up.

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

View longgone's profile

longgone

#10 posted 08-14-2010 04:39 PM

It is very good. I have some in the shop and bought it at sears a few years ago. Paid around $18 for a kit with 2 other bottles.