Bye-bye rust!

Review by Bret posted 1444 days ago 1754 views 3 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Bye-bye rust! Bye-bye rust! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m generally skeptical of products that purport to take the place of elbow grease, but I got this bottle of Rust Off in a package at Woodcraft with some Boeshield and blade & bit cleaner. Last night, I realized that I had to put my smoker up for sale before we pack out (in two weeks) and so I needed to de-rust it. I stood there for a while, wire brush in hand and Dremel tool nearby when I remembered that I had this stuff.

The instructions say to spray it on rust, allow it to saturate the surface, wait 30-60 seconds and remove. Since I was working on a grill-type item, I used a Scotch-brite pad to scrub the surface after 60 seconds as directed.

Wow. The smoker had been stored outdoors for almost 4 years, and almost every surface had some amoubnt of rust. It is shown here after 10 minutes of spraying, waiting, and scrubbing. And scrubbing is probably too harsh of a term. Really, I just rubbed the surface with the Scotch-brite pad and watched the surface turn black again.

After spraying, you can almost watch the rust fade and turn black. It’s pretty amazing. Better living through chemistry!

If you ever have the need to remove rust and are looking for a product to make it easy, definitely consider Rust Off. I’m pretty sure it was invented at Boeing for use on aircraft parts just like Boeshield.

-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

View Bret's profile

Bret

162 posts in 2093 days

View BreakingBoardom's profile

BreakingBoardom

I used this to remove a few spots of rust on a used table saw I bought. Stuff works great.

-- Matt - http://breakingboardom.wordpress.com/

View Tdazzo's profile

Tdazzo

Does Woodcraft sell it separately? Any other sources you know of to get this stuff? Doesn’t look like a name brand product.

-- "If you can't do something smart, do something right." -- Sheppard Book

View Bret's profile

Bret

162 posts in 2093 days

They do sell it separately, $12 for 8.45 ounces: http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=208&ss=15f4aa77-331a-4654-a8b6-5e35406dc802, and it appears it is part of the T-9 product line from Boeshield: http://www.boeshield.com/

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2063 days

sounds like it’s probably phosphoric acid based. should work about as well as any other phosphoric acid based product. (not naysaying, just recommending :-) )

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

I wonder how it works on old rusty planes?

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

It is phosphoric acid based, I use it as well – but only in well ventilated areas. The fumes are quite harsh. For restoring planes, I use Evaporust for the soaking, and the Rust Off for spot treatments that are extra stubborn.

View TopamaxSurvivor's profile

TopamaxSurvivor

Thanks for the tip ;-))

View Swede's profile

Swede

I will have to try it on my smoker it looks just like yours.

-- Swede -- time to make some sawdust

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Thanks for the tip, I have some old plane parts that I need to clean up.

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile (online now)

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

4934 posts in 1907 days

It is very good. I have some in the shop and bought it at sears a few years ago. Paid around $18 for a kit with 2 other bottles.

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.