DeWalt - One Great 20" Scroll Saw

Review by GaryK posted 02-29-2008 01:52 AM 11697 views 0 times favorited 33 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt - One Great 20" Scroll Saw DeWalt - One Great 20" Scroll Saw DeWalt - One Great 20" Scroll Saw Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is the only scroll saw I have ever had so I nothing to compare it to.

When researching and looking over many others I don’t think I could have done any better in my choice.
This is the only scroll saw that DeWalt makes and with one this good it’s all they need

With a throat depth of 20”, it beats out most others on just that. It is heavy at 56 pounds! Very well built.
The table tilts 45 degrees both left and right. Tension, power switch and variable speed control are
right on the top for easy access. It cuts great with very little vibration which isn’t bad considering what
it does.

All in all it’s a great machine, and well worth the extra money.
Sells for about $450, but it’s the only one you will ever need..

From the manufacturer:

Features:

Double parallel-link arm design dramatically reduces vibration and noise, for extremely accurate cuts

Exclusive tool-free blade clamps allow blade changes in seconds

On-off switch, electronic variable speed, flexible dust blower and blade-tensioning lever are all located on the front upper arm for added convenience

Arm design pivots from the back of the saw to the front, shortening the arm movement for smoother, quieter operation

Arm lifts so blade can be easily threaded through the material for inside cuts

Unique arm design keeps the blade perpendicular to the work, dramatically reducing over or under cutting

Oversized, cast-iron table provides excellent material support and bevels 45° left and right

Amps 1.3 Amps
Strokes/Min 400-1,750 spm
Stroke Length 3/4 ”
Depth Of Cut (inches) 2 ”
Tool Weight 56 lbs

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

View Paul D's profile

Paul D

#1 posted 02-29-2008 02:15 AM

I completely agree Gary. I’ve had this saw for a good number of years and it runs as smoothly today as it ever did. I’ve done A LOT of scrolling over the years so I can attest to it being a very durable machine as well. It is a bit heavy but that makes a big difference in the lack of vibration.

-- Paul D - Lawrenceville, Georgia

View grovemadman's profile

grovemadman

#2 posted 02-29-2008 02:20 AM

Thanks Gary, great review and for sure a great saw for the price. The Hawk scrollsaw is hands down the best in the industry, but they start at a grand for the Hawk 20” and $1500 for the hawk 26”. Next time the trade show rolls by your area try it out and you’ll see what I mean. I tried the Dewalt and it is by far better than many others out there – you made a good purchase!!! I liked it better than the Delta. Ridgid makes a pretty good one too and the price is nice.

-- --Chuck

View Grumpy's profile

Grumpy

19714 posts in 2603 days

#3 posted 02-29-2008 02:30 AM

Looks like a good machine Gary. I find the blower tube, laser light and operating light on mine very handy inclusions.

-- Grumpy - "Always look on the bright side of life"- Monty Python

View teenagewoodworker's profile

teenagewoodworker

#4 posted 02-29-2008 02:33 AM

i agree too
i was at a farmers fair last summer and some one was doing work cutting letters into pieces of a log and i asked him how he liked it. he said that he loved it and couldn’t ask for anything much better for the money. also he said that it stands up to a lot of work as for the whole week of the fair all he did was use the scroll saw almost constantly all day long.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#5 posted 02-29-2008 04:21 AM

Thanks for the great review, Gary. A scroll saw is on my wish list, and it looks like you’ve done the research for me.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View ffej's profile

ffej

#6 posted 02-29-2008 05:33 AM

I’ve got one too.

The table isn’t exactly perpendicular to the blade and there’s not any adjustment for it (that I can find). I also noticed the cast iron table isn’t very smooth. O I know I sound picky, but for the price (~500 for saw, stand, and light), I was a little disappointed.

There are some good things though, the dust blower works great and the controls are well designed. It’s heavy duty, powerful, and there’s no vibration.

—just my 2 cents

-- Jeff - Pflugerville, TX

View Paul D's profile

Paul D

#7 posted 02-29-2008 06:17 AM

Jeff, I use Johnson’s paste wax on my Dewalt table and it is super smooth. Give that a try and see if it makes a difference for you.

-- Paul D - Lawrenceville, Georgia

View cowboy's profile

cowboy

#8 posted 02-29-2008 07:59 AM

That’s a great saw,the hawk and the RBI have great reps also but they cost a lot more and neither is nearly as easy to change blades.not even close.I’m quiet certain with the amount of skill you show in your projects there will be great things coming from that saw from you

Cowboy

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#9 posted 02-29-2008 05:07 PM

I have seen this puppy each time I am at my local woodcraft. Other than my TS all of my other shop tools are starter tools including my scroll saw (a little Delta jobber that was on sale 2 Christmas’s ago for $99 at lowes) and though I have only done 2 projects with this saw I know which one I want to replace it, thanks GaryK!

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View MtnManMEP's profile

MtnManMEP

#10 posted 02-29-2008 06:14 PM

I picked up one of these at a Dewalt blowout sale a couple of years ago and have been satisfied with it. As noted in a prior post, the table is not polished off well, but that has not caused any problems during use. Regarding table to blade alignment, there is a tilt adjustment that allows left to right adjustment. I’ve always been able to get table to blade setup accurate enough for my use, but then again, I mainly cut templates on thin stock. Overall, I’d recommend this tool.

View sharad's profile

sharad

#11 posted 02-29-2008 08:04 PM

A very nice review of the saw but a dream for me.
Sharad

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#12 posted 03-01-2008 05:18 AM

Gary;

While I have a larger Hawk unit, I’ve heard only good thing about this saw. For the price you can’t beat it.

I would have bought this if it had a deeper throat, as some of the inlays I do the extra six inches makes a big difference.

Great review.

Lee

View Billp's profile

Billp

#13 posted 03-03-2008 04:19 AM

Gary I just bought one yesterday, I think Iam going to like it a lot. I would have gotten the Excalabur same saw just a little bit better, but for the money when with the Dewalt.

-- Billp

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#14 posted 03-03-2008 04:21 AM

Billp – Let us know what you think after you have used it for a while.

View Billp's profile

Billp

#15 posted 05-02-2008 06:00 AM

Gary I have used it a little bit since I got it and it’s a great saw.

-- Billp