Harbor Freight 3" x 21" Variable Speed Belt Sander

Review by Routerisstillmyname posted 1444 days ago 3436 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 3" x 21" Variable Speed Belt Sander Harbor Freight 3" x 21" Variable Speed Belt Sander Harbor Freight 3" x 21" Variable Speed Belt Sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

Never had a need for a belt sander. Occasionally I thought it would help to have one around just in-case but the prices on belt sanders are ludicrous. Up until now….

HF has two belt sanders on sale and I had a 20% coupon so I took the plunge especially since I desperately needed some aggressive sanding to remove glue from large panels.
I decided on this 3”x21” instead on the other one that’s 4×24. Mainly because I liked the weight and I feel that the 6 amps is more than adequate for sanding.

So here’s my reason for 3 stars.
First, I don’t know how long the motor will last and it’s by no means in the same class as Bosch And few other names but then it’s almost 1/4 of the price and even less than refurbished Ridgid. So…

Pros: Price, variable speed, lightweight, adjustable front grip handle. Good tracking. No belt slippage. Acceptable noise, more than adequate power.

Cons: dust collection. Lack of 1” inch round connection so you can’t connect any shop vac type hoses. Heat.

In use, I felt it was manageable sander and I didn’t have to press down too hard or chase after it. The damage done to work will be a direct result of your experience with belt sanders.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

View thefishingschool's profile

thefishingschool

so total investment?

-- wood takes time and effort... just like women

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

39.99 + tax

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View TheOldTimer's profile

TheOldTimer

I have two belt sanders, one is a 3 X 21 Dewalt and the other a 3 X 21 PorterCable. I seldome use them since I purchased my Festool RO sanders. Festool was more then I wanted to spend for a sander but after using them on several large projects, they are well worth the money spent. They took a large chunk out of my budget but were the only tools bought last year.
Thanks for the revue and you may want to custom build a dust pick up adapter for the sander. I was at Harbor Freight yesterday and looked at a router (new model) that was very stable. It may be a good choice for a third router in the shop or in the field.

-- TheOldTimer,Chandler Arizona

View StumpyNubs's profile

StumpyNubs

I have three stationary belt/disc sanders with various grits on them that I use most of the time, but you still need a small belt sander from time to time. I spent $50 on sale for a skil belt sander and it’s an enormous piece of crap. I generally shy away from harbor freight’s small power tools, but this one is a good buy for light duty, occasional use.