Harbor freight 2hp dust collector....

Review by njcraftsman posted 1447 days ago 9429 views 5 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor freight 2hp dust collector.... No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A Year ago when I was building my shop, I was shopping around for a dust collector to be the heart of my system. I looked at general, jet, grizzly etc. But then I read several really postive reviews on the HF 2hp model. I had a coupon for 169.00 for it so I figured why not. Let me tell you this thing is at least the equal of all of those other’s! I actually got a chance to examine a jet, and a grizzly….and they are almost identical.(makes you wonder if there not made in the same factory in china and then rebadged). Anyway, it claims 1550 cfm ,Im not sure if it can hit that target, actually, from what I understand most DC CFM claims are exagerated. But I digress. I changed out the 5 mic bag with a 1 mic bag from BIGHORN, and aside from making it cleaner, actually improved it’s suction. My longest run is 45 feet and I’ve had no trouble running one tool there and another 25 feet in the other direction, at the same time. It gets it all. Now I make alot of dust here in my shop so this has gotten a work out in the last year, and I’m not disappointed. This is one of those rare harbor freight gems. The canister from the grizzly DC even fits perfectly…. so maybe…...

-- " There is no more important rule than to wear these, SAFTEY GLASSES"

View njcraftsman's profile

njcraftsman

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1910 days

I think they are all made the same and re labeled for the label. My Penn State unit looks identical to yours just different color.

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

Wynn sells a cartridge aimed directly at third party DC’s, including the Harbor Freight model. I don’t have one myself (yet), but I’ve heard good things about them, so that’s where I was going to get mine – since they say they support mounting on the HF 2HP model (which I also have).

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

I have that DC myself, and added the Wynn cannister. I haven’t personally tried the Jet, Delta, or Grizzly machines in this class, but my HF reallly sucks (in a good way!) For the money, it’s hard to beat.

-- Gene T

111999 posts in 2175 days

I have three of them they’re great you can’t beat them for the price.

View thefishingschool's profile

thefishingschool

i was looking into geeting this for my lathe and now i think iwll pull the trigger when i get the money

-- wood takes time and effort... just like women

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1195 posts in 2073 days

I go to a Harbor Freight store… and I have been wondering about their DC… Question: In relative terms, how loud is it… I suspect no different than any other… I get by with a shop vac and Oneida dust cyclone thing… but it just get the cfm that I need for a hood over the table saw, or an enclosure for the cut off miter saw. Plus I want to add band saw and lathe and jointer, and etc… etc…

I have small shop in our house finished basement… I’ll need to convince my wife that HF green is a decorator color… :>)

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View los's profile

los

njcraftsman,

Where did you get your replacement filter bag? I saw one on Amazon from Big Horn for $33? Here is the link – http://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-11765-Diameter-1-Micron/dp/B001C04FJY

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2557 posts in 2030 days

dustyal,
This machine is much quieter than a shop vac and dust deputy. I know… I replaced them with the HF… It is a great machine and I ordered the Wynn cartridge today! It is also soooo much more in terms of suction.

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View Gerry's profile

Gerry

njcraftsman,

Congrats on the DC from HF. I too have the same unit, with a Thien baffled 30 gal metal trash can in line as a chip collector. The system works really well, and with most of the chips and dust going the the can, even keeps the plastic bag almost empty.

A friend here has the Grizzly 2 HP unit, and neither of us can tell the difference between them.

I’ve emptied the chip separator can twice now, and have yet to even think about the bag. It even seems to keep dust out of the filter. Almost as good as a cyclone unit, and WAY more cost effective.

Ellen, Which Wynn filter did you choose? I’m about to make a similar purchase. Thanks!

-- -Gerry, Hereford, AZ ” A really good woodworker knows how the hide his / her mistakes.”

View njcraftsman's profile

njcraftsman

DustyAl…..Dust collectors in general are MUCH quieter than shop vacs! My shop Vac is almost as loud at my router. As far as how many tools you can run at once I’m not sure. Recently, I had the TS, and jointer working at the same time (helper), and it proved it self more than capable (one is on a branch 45ft front the DC, and the other is 25ft from the DC). As far as what individual tools can you use with it, pretty much anything you can think of it can do I imagine, way beyond a shop vac power.

LOS…. Yep that be the very bag…I highly recomend!

-- " There is no more important rule than to wear these, SAFTEY GLASSES"

View DavidH's profile

DavidH

Agree with this review, I have the same model, wait for it to go on sale, they do often, then grab a 20% off coupon out of family handy man or similar mag and go pick it up .. best price on a DC in my opinion, specially for a hobbyist.

-- David - Houston, Texas. (http://www.justsquareenough.com/)

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1002 posts in 2084 days

I finally broke down and bought the HF 2hp DC with a coupon from Wood magazine. I waited till the last day on the coupon. I think July 21 or 22. I tried to double up and use the 20% off also, but the clerk said no go. It actually rang up at $179 and my coupon was $139. Still a great deal. It went together much easier than I thought. All the holes lined up. It is a big heavy unit and you need at least 10 to 12 sqft to contain it. Mine is stock but thanks Los for the 1-micron bag tip on Amazon. I plan to put a Thien baffle between soon. The noise is like a small jet liner, but much more pleasant than a shop vac of any size. One of my shop vac is relegated to a cabinet underneath the router table. I’ll probably use the other for hand power tools. Ultimately I want to build a small room fitted to the outside of my garage and run hose through the exterior wall. One day…

View thefishingschool's profile

thefishingschool

david i think one day i will build a small shed and put my compressor my dc when i get one and perhaps some small tool storage…...............well money is always the issue

-- wood takes time and effort... just like women

View los's profile

los

njcraftsman – Thanks! Just ordered mine this morning!

I have written one of those positive reviews of the HF DC, I have had mine for a while now and have been nothing but pleased with it.. I use the Wynn filter. The OEM bag has never seen sawdust…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com