Robust Sweet 16

Review by hairy posted 08-05-2010 11:28 PM 11242 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Robust Sweet 16 Robust Sweet 16 Robust Sweet 16 Click the pictures to enlarge them

I treated myself to a retirement gift. I could not have made a better choice.

I have been using using this for 2 months now. I wanted my review to be based on what I’ve done with it.

I looked at everything I could see in person,and read for hours on the web what others have to say about their lathes. I had certain needs that had to be filled, plus I wanted options to grow into as my experience grows.

My main concern was getting it into my basement shop. I wanted bigger capacity than the Jet 1220vs I started out with. Variable speed is important to me. Indexing is very important to the projects I want to get into. Quality and safety go hand in hand, you can’t have one without the other. I wanted a powerful motor with reverse. Many lathes out there will do all of these things. For my situation, this was clearly the right choice.

This is the shortbed, 2 h.p. version. It’s a gap bed lathe. A section comes out of the bed that can be attached 2 different ways. 1 way is to increase swing over the bed, the other to increase spindle length capacity. This puts a lot of lathe in a small footprint.

The first 2 pics are of a big slab of cherry, 18” x 18” x 6” , bandsawn to about 17” diameter. Rough turning was easy in this configuration. Of course, I could make it dance all over if I wanted to, but being able to slow this down to as low as 58 rpm made it safe. Speed control is attained by turning a knob, no belts to change, just speed it up or down to where you want it. Look at how much swing room is left. I would need a hoist to load up a piece that big.

Pic 3, the spindle, is a cane I made and posted here. http://lumberjocks.com/projects/34710

I used a forstner bit in a jacob’s chuck to bore out both ends. It was easy and safe to do. Fun, too.

The indexing was used to layout the twist on the cane, along with the spindle lock to lock the piece in position for shaping after the turning.

I also used those features for this: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/34144

This is a stable platform for this type of work. Lots of room to get in there, I can rotate it where I need and then lock it down.

The control box is a great feature, just put it where you need it to be.

One thing I really like is being able to turn from both sides. I have found that in certain situations, I get much better access to the workpiece from the other side. It’s simple to move the toolrest, start the motor in reverse, and have the control box right where I need it.

I have 2 more pics in My Workshop.

I have seen others review and recommend the tool rests that Robust makes, and I agree. The rest of the lathe is at the same high standards and quality.

They are good folks to deal with, and they make them in Wisconsin, USA.

Here’s a link to Robust: http://turnrobust.com/Index.html
Watch the videos.

-- the last of Barret's Privateers...

View hairy's profile

hairy

2067 posts in 2222 days

View GMman's profile

GMman

#1 posted 08-05-2010 11:34 PM

Very glad for you way to go treat yourself.

View Loucarb's profile

Loucarb

#2 posted 08-05-2010 11:34 PM

That is “sweet”. Nice review. I have their 6” tool rest & love it.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#3 posted 08-06-2010 12:58 AM

Great review. Thank you.

I must admit I am intrigued by this lathe. Currently I spend about an equal amount of time doing flat work and turning. When/if I ever decide to focus more on turning I will want a more powerful lathe.

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2094 days

#4 posted 08-06-2010 03:38 AM

That’s a nice lathe. I’ve never seen that one before. I too will be moving up to a bigger lathe some day and am already eying choices.

So let me ask you this, not knowing anything about it; let’s say you have a 24” platter chucked up with the bed removed. Can you get in close to the center of the platter with the removable bed on the side and the gap between the platter and the fixed bed, what, 12 inches away? You know what I”m saying? Can you hook the toolrest up to the fixed bed parallel to the ways as an extension to get in there? Otherwise you’re going to need an awful long tool rest.

View Mary Anne's profile

Mary Anne

#5 posted 08-06-2010 03:49 AM

That is one Sweet machine. I love that you can configure it to suit your project.
You are starting your retirement in style! Congratulations!!

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2094 days

#6 posted 08-06-2010 03:59 AM

Just viewed the video and my question was answered.

Good luck with your new machine and happy retirement.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#7 posted 08-06-2010 04:20 AM

Wow, it’s built like a tank!! Nice choice! That reversing feature is impressive too!

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1960 days

#8 posted 08-06-2010 04:59 AM

Those are great lathes….very well built, you will have it for a long time. I have used one a time or two and they reallly make turning so much more pleasurable. I am envious of your new lathe and your retirement….but \ am looking forward the the beautiful pieces you will be able to do with more leisure time.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#9 posted 08-06-2010 01:19 PM

Thanks for helping the economic recovery of the U.S.!!!!! These are top of the line & I’m jealous as all get out. Thanks for writing such a good review. Now off I go to rob a bank…

-- We call the destruction of replaceable human made items vandalism, while the destruction of irreplaceable natural resources is called development.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#10 posted 08-06-2010 03:38 PM

Boy howdy, when you treat yourself you do it in a big way. That lathe looks like one really fine machine that will give you many years of fine service. I pray that you will have many wonderful years of retirement so that you can play with that beautiful machine. Congrats and thanks for posting this.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#11 posted 08-07-2010 04:04 PM

thank´s for the reweiw
but do I dare to ask what the prize is ?
it seams to be realy expencive the way its build
and with those features build in

Dennis

View hairy's profile

hairy

2067 posts in 2222 days

#12 posted 08-07-2010 04:50 PM

Lots of options are available, Dennis. That info is on their web page.

-- the last of Barret's Privateers...

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

#13 posted 08-08-2010 08:27 PM

That seems to be the military tank version of lathes thanks for posting :)

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View Bearpie's profile

Bearpie

#14 posted 08-10-2010 04:07 AM

Well I must say you got yourself a doozy! I think that if I had seen that one when I was looking for my lathe, I might have ended up with it instead of my Powermatic, not that I have anything against my sweet machine, I just think this one has better features. Enjoy your retirement, you are stepping out in the right direction! Just be sure to wear a full face shield everytime you turn, I had a couple pieces fly off and land on my faceshield! Whew!

Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

-- Erwin, Jacksonville, FL

View John's profile

John

#15 posted 08-12-2010 10:36 PM

Never heard of it before, but now I’m not sure how I’m surviving without one! Thanks for the review!

-- John - Central PA - http://affyx.wordpress.com