Makita LS1016L 10" Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw w/ Laser

Review by GregP posted 08-05-2010 09:59 PM 4832 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Makita LS1016L 10" Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw w/ Laser No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I just got this miter saw about a month ago and so far the only complaints I have had about it where that I needed to adjust the laser after I first got it. It cuts smoothly and accurately, it slides nicely and it makes cuts up to 13” wide. it’s already saved me lots of time, I hardly need to use my crosscut sled anymore for anything other than plywood and I just can’t say enough good things about this saw!

-- Greg P, Washington State, http://heirloomfurniture.weebly.com/

View GregP's profile

GregP

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 08-06-2010 12:51 AM

I have an earlier version of the saw. The only complaint I have ever had is the low fence but, based on the picture, it looks like the fence is taller now.

I’ve had mine for about 4 years without any problems.

I will comment that on this miter saw and every other miter saw (except a Festool at $1,300) capturing the dust is a challenge. I now have an enclosed area behind the saw and a high volume vacuum drawing from the bottom of that area. Despite my best efforts, I probably only capture about 85% of the dust.

View Cato's profile

Cato

641 posts in 1950 days

#2 posted 08-06-2010 12:56 PM

Nice Greg. I’ve had mine since the early spring and enjoy it a lot.

I did not have any trouble adjusting my laser.

Like Rich says, dust collection is an issue and I need to build an enclosure as he has done. Right now I just have a large dust hood behind it, but I get spray to the sides.

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2102 days

#3 posted 08-07-2010 05:03 AM

I purchased the earlier version of this saw in about 1999 or 2000. Still love it!!! Dead on accurate and reliable. Like Rich said, the fence is a little low but it has holes to attach an auxillary fence.
Great choice, enjoy it!

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Tennwood's profile

Tennwood

#4 posted 08-08-2010 04:41 AM

I got mine about 1-1/2 years ago and still love it. I wish it came with two hold downs though. I built an enclosure and it gets most of the dust. You can never get it all. I have a vacuum hose connected to where the dust bag connects, connected to my DC system, but it plugs up at the mouth as much as it seems to suck out there.

My brother has the same saw (reason I got mine) and likes his but has had some recent problems with the motor slowing down. It was intermittent so they could never resolve the problem.
Enjoy.

-- Jim, SE Tennessee, "Don't spare the kindling Dear, we have plenty"

View thumbs's profile

thumbs

#5 posted 08-10-2010 05:49 AM

Some mention of dust collection. I started with a large enclosure which had it’s flaws and then took the dust bag off and used an old piece of shop vac hose fastened to outlet on saw, w/ minor adapters and a little gorilla tape and it really works great. Use a hose long enough for saw angles and it works for me. Suction into hose from saws built in dust ejector and main dust collector leaves little or no sawdust. Just an idea.
Thumbs

-- Mitakuya Oyasin

View GregP's profile

GregP

#6 posted 08-16-2010 08:23 AM

I suppose it doesn’t collect as much dust as it could, but compared to the craftsman I was using before it does an ok job at it.

-- Greg P, Washington State, http://heirloomfurniture.weebly.com/

View thumbs's profile

thumbs

#7 posted 08-19-2010 02:41 AM

Reference above post by me. Didn’t mention, on using shopvac hose, that it is fastened in outlet on saw designed for dust exhaust and then connected to dust collection system for suction. Could probably be hooked to shop vac also. Has worked well for me capturing the majority of the dust.

-- Mitakuya Oyasin

View Billp's profile

Billp

#8 posted 11-03-2011 05:37 AM

I just got one yesterday, accurate on all degrees. Think Iam going to like it.

-- Billp

View Boxguy's profile

Boxguy

#9 posted 03-20-2012 06:36 PM

Enjoy this saw. I bought mine some 12 years ago. It was perfect out of the box and has only needed new blades. Every week or so I blow the dust out of the notches for the miter sets to keep them accurate. This is one of the real workhorses in my shop.

-- Big Al in IN