Titebond Hipurformer Advanced Bonding System

Review by grovemadman posted 02-29-2008 01:43 AM 7137 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Titebond Hipurformer Advanced Bonding System Titebond Hipurformer Advanced Bonding System Titebond Hipurformer Advanced Bonding System Click the pictures to enlarge them

TITEBOND GLUE GUN REVIEW FOR LEAP DAY: Here is a product all woodworkers could benefit from. Originally designed for the production furniture market, the Titebond Hipurformer is a polyurethane reactive (PUR) bond adhesive that sets fast, won’t harm your surfaces, is very strong and provides a permanent bond to Wood, Metal, glass, porcelain, concrete and a host of other substrates! Not only is it easy to use but it cleans up without a hassle. The bond is near instant reducing the need for clamps and for the faster adhesives in the system completely eliminates the need for clamps all together. Glue “squeezout” is not a problem – simply sand, scrape or pare away any excess with a chisel, and It can be machined.

NOT YOUR AVERAGE GLUE GUN! This isn’t your average craftstore hot melt glue gun. The bonding adhesives come in four varieties ranging from instant to 30 minute open set up time. There is a multipurpose adhesive, wood to wood adhesives and a newer extended open set up time for complicated glue ups. The cartridges are good for a month after opening and cost about $8 each. This may sound like a lot but you use much less glue since it is hot and tends to flow into the joints more easily than regular room temperature glue. The system contains the glue gun and cord, heating element, three different cartriges of adhesive, instructions and a handy carry case to keep the system clean and all in one place.

SET UP and TAKE DOWN
The instructions explain clearly how to use the system to the fullest, for instance which adhesive is best for a certain application. The gun sets up quickly right out of the box, and the glue takes about 10-13 minutes to fully warm up. How do you know it is ready to use? When you plug it in a red light comes on and when the glue is heated the light switches to green for go! When you are finished unplug the heating element, care fully remove the glue cartridge from the gun with a glove or oven mitten and allow a few minutes to cool. While the cartridge is still warm a cap is placed on to the cartridge to keep air out. Pack it all up in the handy case and store in a place roughly the size of a toaster.

HOW WELL DOES IT WORK?
The first time I used the gun I tested two pieces of oak. I ran a thin bead as suggested and pressed the two pieces of oak together with the thirty second bond adhesive for about a minute. I let it sit another minute and then tried to pull them apart. I couldn’t do it! I put one side in a vise and grabbed the other side and leaned down and away from it pressing as hard as I could and still couldn’t break it! I immediately cut the two pieces with a saw – no problem machining it less than five minutes after initial glue up. I let it set up over night and put it to the ultimate test. Clamped in a vise and armed with a 4lb. baby sledge hammer I smacked one side of the two pieces and nothing happened. I gave the next shot all I had and the wood came apart taking part of the other oak block with it!!! The joint where I had glued the wood was still intact! Above is a sample of the bonding power @ roughly 10 secs with the 30 second adhesive and a two year old tube of adhesive! (the tubes have a shelf life of 1 year unopened – mine had been opened) I did this with two dirty pieces of wood that hadn’t been jointed too! At ten minutes into the cross linking the strength of a clean machined joint is 650 PSI, at 1 hour it increases to 1,090 PSI and in 24 hours increases to 1,360 PSI with WW30 adhesive.

ADVANCED HOT MELT COMPARED TO CONVENTIONAL GLUE
Well I must say I still prefer to use conventional room temperature adhesives whenever possible. I still think the interphase process is a bit stronger with conventional wood glue, but not much. I have tested this with other substrates and found the bonding power to be exemplary. Is this gun worth the price and does it have a place in traditional wood working? I believe it does warrant the price and there will be times when nothing else can do the job efficiently. Sometimes when a clamp will slip or the wood/glue wants to creep this tool is invaluable. I use it for making Jigs a lot, when the down time of waiting on a jig to cure from glue up could mean the difference between sitting around or getting back to machining parts! This alone justifies the purchase of the system.
Does it have any down sides? Sure it does but not enough to weigh in favor against it. If I had a gripe it would be forgetting to put the cap back on the glue which wastes a whole tube of the stuff. And sometimes you have to run a drill bit down the tube to get past the hardened stuff, which is an inconvenience. Plus the cartridges can go bad after a year. The price makes regular glue more economical unless you are doing a production run and you need to keep moving. If you don’t get your glue up right then throw it into the scrap pile and start over!

SUMMARY
The kit costs a hundred bucks and is well worth it if you do production runs, need a fast clean bonding adhesive without the use of clamps. The strength of the joints it can make are phenomenal, just make sure you are ready to go before you bond two pieces of wood together because that’s where they are going to stay short of breaking the wood. If you need to bond something and machine it right away this tool can do it. So it is for these reasons I recommend the Titebond Hipurformer over fast set epoxies or any other quick cure glues!

-- --Chuck

View bkhop's profile

bkhop

#1 posted 02-29-2008 01:51 AM

Thanks for the review – I’ve often wondered about this stuff… especially, as you mention, wrt epoxy. Seems I always end up mixing up more epoxy than I need and end up wasting it. (Or, more likely, I’ll put off a certain repair or project that needs epoxy just because I don’t want to mix up such a tiny amount and wait until I’ve got some other stuff to do too.) This might be a better solution.

-- † Hops †

#2 posted 02-29-2008 02:01 AM

Chuck,

Amen to your review. One additional point that I would like to make about the glue is that, according to the manufacturer, once opened the tube has a shelf life of 30 days.

That reminds me, I have had mine for 3 months now and have gone through all my glues (I bought 1 of each). I guess I had better order some more.

#3 posted 02-29-2008 02:03 AM

Give it a shot. It works great for bonding other things together. I tried glass to brick, glass to glass, metal to wood, metal to metal. Wood to wood as you can see above it really holds well. I did that an hour ago with old dirty wood and out of date glue! I couldn’t of held it more than thirty seconds and the time it took me to walk over to my roll away for a ball peen hammer and clamping it into the vise… While it only took a small piece of the other block, normal glue could never do this and I don’t think epoxy could either.

#4 posted 02-29-2008 02:07 AM

You bet Scott, but I do mention it goes bad after a month from the time you open it. I have used it on several picture frames up to a year from first use without using splines, bisquits or dowels.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#5 posted 02-29-2008 08:30 AM

Thanks for an outstanding review. Sounds like something I might want.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

#6 posted 02-29-2008 08:22 PM

I have been wondering about this system…wether it was worth the money or not…now I know! thanks

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View closetguy's profile

closetguy

#7 posted 03-02-2008 04:22 AM

I have used this system for a couple of years and couldn’t function without it. I use it almost exclusively for crown molding. It’s perfect for providing an initial firm holding tack for mitered joints. The cheap hobby glue sticks don’t flow out thin enough to allow the joint to close flush. The Titebond Hipur flows out thin and allows both inside and outside miters to fully close. I hold them together for about 20 seconds and then I can let go and concentrate on nailing the molding. The cordless feature is fantastic. It can get a little intense trying to hold a miter joint with one hand while standing on top of a ladder and firing a nail gun with the other and hope the joint doesn’t slip. The Hipur way frees up one hand and really speeds up this process.

-- I don't make mistakes, only design changes....www.dgmwoodworks.com

#8 posted 03-02-2008 04:27 AM

I also have been wondering about the system and the shelf life of the glue.

Using just a little bit and throwing the rest of it away doesn’t make you feel great about a useful tool.

So you get a lot more life than the MFG states

Great review.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#9 posted 03-02-2008 01:27 PM

Thanks for the great review. Nothing is too expensive if the value justifies the price.

View GusRod's profile

GusRod

#10 posted 03-18-2008 11:22 PM

Thanks, Chuck. Few people use resorcinol glue anymore, which also bonds stronger than the underlying wood.
I used it originally to build boats (sold as Elmer’s two-part Waterproof glue) but I’ve been looking for something as strong without the limitations of resorcinol and this seems like just the thing. I think I’ll give it a try.

-- Nothing says "I love you" like a new saw blade.