Jet 708480K JPS-30 Quality Hybrid Saw for under $800

Review by Holz_und_Geschichte41 posted 07-30-2010 08:04 PM 5922 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet 708480K JPS-30 Quality Hybrid Saw for under $800 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Jet 708480K JPS-30: 10-Inch ProShop Table saw 1-3/4-Horsepower 30-Inch Rip fence With Steel Wings

I have been woodworking for about 2 years now and felt it was time to spend the necessary dough to improve accuracy, cuts, rips, and broaden techniques. I spent a lot of time researching table saws based off cost, features, etc. I decided on this Jet for a handful of reasons:

•Cost: $799.00 through Amazon: Amazon allows you to finance certain large ticket items for 12 months same as cash. I threw in the universal mobile base ($99) because the saw is a heavy sucker. Delivery took about two weeks. It was well packaged and there was no damage to any part of the saw when it arrived.

•Horsepower and Electricity Use: I don’t use many hardwoods so the strength of the motor wasn’t as big of a factor for me though this saw can cut through most ¾in thick woods without strain. (I am not building anything with Ironwood anytime soon!) I do all of my woodworking in the garage with one 110 outlet. A larger saw motor I think would have continually blown out the fuse considering the other small tools and items plugged into a power strip. For a positive example, while having the air compressor re-filling and turning on the saw causes a momentary drain/strain but then both machines ran fine simultaneously without blowing the fuse.

•After market and ability to add on: The saw allows for the user to extend the out feed table to the right and behind the saw if you wish to. That is on my list and once that mini project is completed I will revisit this review. I have seen this done to this model and was pleased with what I saw (no pun intended). Further, Jet provides quality after-purchase service and most of after market table saw products I have seen can be used on it. The fence provided is heavy and clamps well along the wings preventing movement/shiftinh during cutting.

After it arrived, it took me about 3-4 hours from pulling it out of the respective boxes to fully assembled and operation. The directions are very clear and understandable. I recommend having a second person help get it upright once you have attached the legs. It is very heavy though it can be lifted, the legs will slide on the concrete once you reach a certain angle. I had to lift by myself because a friend canceled. So I had to put heavy blocks behind the legs, like tire blocks, to stop the legs from sliding as I lifted past that certain angle. The weight and the steel gave me a good feeling that is well built.

Getting the wings attached was a bit of a chore, but once those things are on there, they aren’t moving which again I feel is a statement to its manufacturing. Attaching the measuring tape so that it is synched up/calibrated to the saw blade didn’t take much effort but it did surprise me that I had to do it. I think, though, that this normal with table saws of this class, so I doubt Jet is the only one that does this. The provided saw blade has served it purposes well so far. I don’t know much about blades just yet but it has proven a work horse with the amount of wood I have had it run through already. Also I forgot to mention earlier, when the saw is running it is a low hum which is nice because I do a lot of woodworking in the (5-8pm) evening hours and I don’t want to disturb the neighbors with a high-pitched motor.

As for safety, the saw came with a miter and a plastic housing around the saw blade held by a riving knife saddled by two jagged teeth fins to prevent kick back. I feel very comfortable with this feature and it is easily removed/reinstalled depending on need. I did consider the SawStop product but it was just too darn expensive. Perhaps one day I will consider it when I can afford to drop that amount of money on a table saw. But in the meantime, focus, push blocks, the blade guard, riving knife, and anti-kick back teeth have provided the safety I desire.

For a hybrid saw under $800 I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I have seen an immediate improvement in my cuts and thereby the quality of my finished products. If I get into larger projects requiring strong motors, etc., then I may re-enter the table saw market but this Jet satisfies all of my cutting needs.

-- Ryan, Arizona

View Holz_und_Geschichte41's profile

Holz_und_Geschichte41

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 07-30-2010 10:15 PM

I have the same saw with cast iron wings and I agree with everything you say. I’m particularly pleased with the fence.

Be advised that you can (and probably will eventually) get a saw dust build up that will prevent the spindle lock from engaging. It’s easy to fix when it happens with an air compressor.

In my case, I work with a lot of hard woods, including some very hard woods, and I would like a little more power, especially when I am using a dado stack.

Petty problem – When I got mine the wrench for the arbor screw would not fit onto the nut. The wrench was poorly machined and there was a lip around the inside of the socket. I probably spent an hour with a dremel grinder to clean up that lip.

I find that even with a good high volume dust collector attached, I still get a lot of sawdust building up underneath the table. I manually clear it out on a somewhat regular basis.

Get a good thin kerf blade. I use the thin kerf WW II.

I would give it 4 stars also.

View blockhead's profile

blockhead

1451 posts in 1960 days

#2 posted 07-31-2010 04:37 PM

Nice review Ryan. I am sure this will bring you years of good service.

I have the Jet JWTS-10 and have been very pleased with it. Its only 1-1/2 hp, but with the double drive belt, its supposed to deliver more power to the blade than a traditional single belt system. I’ve cut up to 6/4 hardwoods and even some Ipe with a full kerf Freud with ease. Does this one have the same double belt system? I did have to add a new Shop Fox fence but it looks like yours is good to go.

On a side note, I had a small problem with the factory fence so I emailed Jet. I always try an email first if the problem is something I can live with temporarily because I think one can get a better understanding of their customer service as opposed to calling and they have to help you. I sent the first email regarding the problem, after two months, no response. I sent another email, 3 weeks go by, no response. I sent a third and after 3 more weeks, no response. I then sent an email stating I was in the market to start a WW shop and wanted to make a huge purchase directly through them if possible. I received an email within a few hours from Jet stating they couldn’t wait to help me. Go figure. So, if you have a problem, I suggest a phone call as opposed to an email.

Anyway, thanks for the review and I hope if you do need their CS, it will be a better experience than mine. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

-- Brad, Oregon- The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

View hypnos's profile

hypnos

28 posts in 2091 days

#3 posted 08-01-2010 06:46 PM

I bought the saw with the cast iron wings a few months ago and it’s great except for the fact that the saw keeps tripping when I’m ripping and even one time when I was crosscutting with dado blades a notch in a 1”x1” piece of pine. This saw should not be tripping when I’m ripping 2×4 pine, I’m using a ZCI and a splitter. One of these days I’ll get around to calling their support, but has anyone else had this problem? I don’t think it’s a lack of power going to the saw, I have it on it’s own 20A circuit most of the time. It’s a pain having to stop, open the cabinet and hit the reset button and get back to where you’re at in the cut, plus watch out – if you forget to hit the stop the saw starts right back up when you hit the reset.

-- David P., Kansas City

View stevenmadden's profile

stevenmadden

#4 posted 08-02-2010 08:41 AM

I think this saw has a splittter rather than a riving knife. I could be wrong.

View rbterhune's profile

rbterhune

#5 posted 08-03-2010 08:10 PM

I have the same saw and love it. I’m new to woodworking and probably have not had the experience with it that others have but it seems to have plenty of power for most any cut. I’m sure if the going got tough on some 8/4 stock the simple solution is to slow down…unless you’ve got a deadline the next day, we’re not in a race.

The steel wings are not a problem for me either, especially since I replace the left one with a Bench Dog cast iron router table insert.

View glassyeyes's profile

glassyeyes

136 posts in 1981 days

#6 posted 08-21-2010 02:58 AM

hypnos,

The switch inside the saw is probably a thermal-overload switch. Given the fairly low load, if your saw is still under warranty I’d call and get it fixed. It simply shouldn’t trip under the conditions you describe.

-- Now, where did I put those bandaids?