Another full face shield

Review by Don "Dances with Wood" Butler posted 07-19-2010 02:34 PM 2462 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Another full face shield No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Greg the Whodat just posted his new face shield.
I didn’t want to hijack his review, so I’m posting my own.

Greg’s shield is a good one and the Triton PRA001 is probably more expensive. But I wanted to explain some of its advantages.

Triton saw good to include earmuffs and they’re good one. They can be locked out away from the head for
when you want to hear something and when putting the headgear on and off.
There is no option for front or back battery location. It is worn behind on a belt and has filter built into the battery case. I like that its behind me and low, away from the tool raising dust or chips.
The battery is Ni-Cad, but its a good one. I had the shield stored for several months and when I pulled it out to use it still had a strong charge.
Triton provides a little flow check device so you can tell when the filter is clogged.
Now putting the Triton on, due to the belt mounted battery pack/filter, is just a little awkward, but I’ve developed my own technique and it asn’t too bad. Small price to pay, I think, for the complete protection it provides.

One thing, though, that might cause prospective buyers to waver.
I’ve been told by those who have seen me using it, that I look like a mad beekeeper!

Don

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 07-19-2010 04:33 PM

I’ve never worn a face shield like this. I wonder if it gets hot inside and I wonder if I would feel claustrophobic.

#2 posted 07-19-2010 04:49 PM

It is not hot inside. There is a cool, clean draft of air blowing across the face plate from top to bottom.
As far as claustrophobia goes, I couldn’t even get my wife to think about putting it on!

Don

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#3 posted 07-19-2010 05:19 PM

I’m a motorcyclist. I own 3/4 helmets (no chin protection) and 1/2 helmets (no chin or ear protection) and I prefer 1/2 helmets. What is relevant is that I cannot stand full helmets. They make me feel too claustrophobic.

I find this face shield interesting and I like that it is not hot. However, I would have to try one on before buying one. That’s hard to do with mail order.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#4 posted 07-20-2010 12:34 AM

thankĀ“s for the rewiew Don
and it was a clever idea to post it right after Greg the whodat has posted his rewiew

Dennis

#5 posted 07-20-2010 02:26 PM

Yes, but it’s not smiling.
Have I overlooked something here?

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

d

View BigJimAK's profile

BigJimAK

30 posts in 1944 days

#6 posted 07-21-2010 07:41 AM

I have large glasses.. and they’re progressive bifocals to boot. How spacious is it at eye level? I’d need some front room but mostly keeping that distance for the width of my lenses. I’ve been torn between the brands. I’d hate to spend the money and not be able to use it.

-- Jim in Alaska

#7 posted 07-21-2010 01:42 PM

I have to have glasses and I prefer the large type they used to call aviators. Now they call them Executive or something. There’s plenty of room in there for any glasses regardless of size.

d

View Rick's profile

Rick

#8 posted 08-09-2010 09:26 PM

Thanks for the review. I use a cartridge mask but it still lets a lot of dust in it seems. But it does block at lot as well. I’m 28 now and I figure I’d better protect myself now if I want to be healthy enough in my old age.
I keep looking at these types of setups but I don’t care for the short battery life of each charge.